Single In Single in July (SiJy) 2020 - day 25

Name
Matt
Start Date
Jul 25, 2020
End Date
Jul 25, 2020
This was worth an "uhm ... " when I frist heard it, but in a way, it's pretty insightful ...

We swallow our pride over piles of problems
We whine and complain but we don't try to solve them
We're reaching for answers but nobody's got them

Get out of my way because I'm 25
And I still act like I'm 10 goddamn years old
I'm 25
And I still act like I'm 10 goddamn years old
If you really want to listen to the song, there's a player on the lyrics' site. Be warned, though: If you're a ska or punk fan, you have *nothing* to worry ...

M.

Toby was particularly bad this week. He doesn’t actively hunt, but will take down a stupid spotted dove if it flies down near him. They really are thick, those doves. He can run out at them and they just sit there, but they are terrified of me. Go figure. Re-shot the doormat with embedded feathers.

E6D1C293-64EE-401A-8833-F4854BC1B218.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Invasive species from Asia have long been a threat to the flora of North America (and Europe, for that matter). Chestnut blight, Kudzu, Knotweed, Stiltgrass, many varieties of Honeysuckle, Hemlock Woolly Adelgid, the list is seemingly endless. American Elms, Ulmus americana, once lined the streets of American cities, towering over cityscapes and residential neighborhoods alike – until the Elm Bark Beetle began to spread across North America. Believed to have been introduced in a shipment of lumber arriving in New York City in the 1920s, the fungus spread by the beetles decimated the American Elm population. The number of large, mature specimens is a shadow of what once was, and American Elm is now often seen as smaller understory trees like this one, growing on the margins of forests and competing with other trees for sunlight and nutrients.

Day 25.JPG

Last edited:
Today was a busy day, we finished organising the furniture for the new house, picked up the last of the white goods and I even managed to drop a heavy timber day bed on myself (slipped as I was walking it up the ramp into the trailer)... completely forgot to get the camera out until just now, approx 4 beers into a mixed six pack of excellent pedigree...

Three of which appear in the days photo, the most interesting was “Panther Cream” an exceptional whiskey barrel aged imperial stout that goes close to rivalling Colonial’s “Inquest” with a 10.2% abv and rich dark chocolate overtones mingled with subtle whiskey aromas...

C5F7B8E8-BA5E-422E-B2A8-20E5932D9CB4.jpeg

Today was a busy day, we finished organising the furniture for the new house, picked up the last of the white goods and I even managed to drop a heavy timber day bed on myself (slipped as I was walking it up the ramp into the trailer)... completely forgot to get the camera out until just now, approx 4 beers into a mixed six pack of excellent pedigree...

Three of which appear in the days photo, the most interesting was “Panther Cream” an exceptional whiskey barrel aged imperial stout that goes close to rivalling Colonial’s “Inquest” with a 10.2% abv and rich dark chocolate overtones mingled with subtle whiskey aromas...

View attachment 229688
I must say you have an impressive range of beers available in Oz. The impression you get of Australian beer in the UK is that it’s just fizzy bland stuff (Fosters and XXXX). We never see varieties like you’re showing here, which is a great shame as I’m sure there’d be a ready market for them.

Last edited:
Invasive species from Asia have long been a threat to the flora of North America (and Europe, for that matter). Chestnut blight, Kudzu, Knotweed, Stiltgrass, many varieties of Honeysuckle, Hemlock Woolly Adelgid, the list is seemingly endless. American Elms, Ulmus americana, once lined the streets of American cities, towering over cityscapes and residential neighborhoods alike – until the Elm Bark Beetle began to spread across North America. Believed to have been introduced in a shipment of lumber arriving in New York City in the 1920s, the fungus spread by the beetles decimated the American Elm population. The number of large, mature specimens is a shadow of what once was, and American Elm is now often seen as smaller understory trees like this one, growing on the margins of forests and competing with other trees for sunlight and nutrients.

View attachment 229687
That sounds like what we refer to as Dutch Elm Disease, which may be a slur on our near neighbours. But elms have been virtually wiped out in Britain. Now we’re all worried about ash dieback disease and oak processionary moths. If those two species were hard hit the countryside would be a very sad place.

E-PM1 at the plate. Of course, it's weekend and hot, so here's a picture of my mantle. Those are my paternal grandparents. I wasn't happy with the sharpness of the image, then I thought to take a look at the sharpness of that old photo.:doh: Another lesson in the difference between a technically correct image and a treasured image.
mantle.jpg

Last edited:
That sounds like what we refer to as Dutch Elm Disease, which may be a slur on our near neighbours. But elms have been virtually wiped out in Britain. Now we’re all worried about ash dieback disease and oak processionary moths. If those two species were hard hit the countryside would be a very sad place.
It is the same thing. I've read it got the "Dutch" part of the name because the fungus was isolated and identified by Dutch scientists. We are already hit hard by the Emerald Ash Borer, and Oak blight is a real concern.

My granddaughter Opal, 6 years old but soon to be 7, started learning to play the fiddle a little after she turned 6 and now is in the process of turning into a seriously good musician. But not merely is she a young musician with 'chops' - even better, she loves playing. She has a great teacher, and her father - my son Rafe - is a rather fine musician and multi-instrumentalist himself. All of which means that when I accompanied them on a multiple-day camping trip in a remote and beautiful area of eastern Oregon - Hart mountain - everyone brought instruments.

Here, Opal and Rafe decided to play a song with a strange and beautiful background - looking down from the mountain on the continually changing lakes which have been forming and reforming at the base of the mountain for millenia.

X30_July25_Opal&Rafe_playing_music.jpg

I feel lucky to be able to hang with great musicians; being related to them is the icing on the cake.

Back