Single In Single in July (SiJy) 2020 - day 9

C3F1790E-A53A-444A-8371-538CA11FABC8_1_201_a.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Not my day today. And this is the shot that finally convinced me that the GR2 is not for me. Could have done this handheld with the X100, K5, K200, and many of my compacts. But not the GR. Its just too slow. So bad, in fact, even snap wasnt doing its thing.

View attachment 228048
What happened? I couldn't hand-hold 4s with whatever camera, nor would I ever expect to ... and I wouldn't go over ISO 1600 on the GR (II), so that's not the point (in the sense of, why didn't you adjust the ISO - you obviously did, or had it at Auto ISO 1600). But ... I mean, hand-holding 2s (X100, whatever version, at f/2 and ISO 1600) or 1s (same camera, wide open at ISO 3200 - probably not better when it comes to IQ ...) on an unstabilised camera isn't going to work, either, so I guess we're missing something here ...

M.

The last of this series. A few swipes with sand paper, a coat of neutral paint, for easier photography. Needs to be worked some more with the sand paper, before final paint. It's not fine wood working. It's a piece of commercial window facing. Good enough for illustrating steps in simple joinery, and fulfilling the SI daily shot. Not my finest work in either craft. I'm getting lazy in my advancing second childhood.

SIJY 09.JPG

In the neighboring small city of Ashland, Oregon, coffee shops are open for takeout - or for consumption on a handful of socially-distanced outdoor tables on the adjacent patio space. But first one purchase one's beverages or baked snacks at the indoor cash register. Which is what I did this morning---

GRII_July9_LaBaguette_checkout(PosFilm).jpg

For the curious, what I am purchasing here is a delicious homemade corn frittata - which will appear, in all its gastronomic glory, in today's Outtakes.

What happened? I couldn't hand-hold 4s with whatever camera, nor would I ever expect to ... and I wouldn't go over ISO 1600 on the GR (II), so that's not the point (in the sense of, why didn't you adjust the ISO - you obviously did, or had it at Auto ISO 1600). But ... I mean, hand-holding 2s (X100, whatever version, at f/2 and ISO 1600) or 1s (same camera, wide open at ISO 3200 - probably not better when it comes to IQ ...) on an unstabilised camera isn't going to work, either, so I guess we're missing something here ...

M.

I can handhold at 4S, normally, but not with an unstabilised camera. The X100 is also not stabilised but it seems to manage low light better (or, its larger size makes it easier for me).

What we are missing is me, and my inability to adjust my shooting to the camera in hand. Like I say, the GR is just not for me. Its OK for some things (great clouds for example, and landscapes) but not for others (night shots with reasonable light sources). Auto should have managed. It didnt. No more GR nights, for me.

My sinuses attacked me overnight and this morning. Some allergen floating around yesterday I must have run into. So, no going out today. Doing a little light reading, among other puttering about. Taken at f/11, handheld, cropped, processed and resized.
original.jpg

Not my day today. And this is the shot that finally convinced me that the GR2 is not for me. Could have done this handheld with the X100, K5, K200, and many of my compacts. But not the GR. Its just too slow. So bad, in fact, even snap wasnt doing its thing.

View attachment 228048
Heck, Sue, I don’t have the attention span for a four second exposure.

Back