Single In Single in July (SiJy) 2022 - day 31

IMGP1062.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Where we evolved from. A step or two after the Camera Obscura. A Daguerreotype I made at a workshop in the late 90s and one of my most prized photography related possessions.
The GM1 and my goofy hand can be seen in the reflection. The workshop was at the Eastman House .
7FD702E7-21B4-42F9-8300-E4C2FDA9B504.jpeg

Last edited:
I said I wanted my last photo to be something special. For me, this is it. My lovely wife, with 6 weeks left to go until our twins arrive.

Had a great time with this challenge. I am surprised at just how versatile this little 40mm (80mm eq. in 35mm format) manual lens is. Managed to use it as a landscape, portrait, architecture, nature, and everything in between.

Here's til next time... Thanks all.

SIJ-30-2.jpg

I thought long and hard about trying to come up with a photograph which both worked as an image - and in some way reflected this last month of SiJ for me, both my own images and seeing everyone else. I couldn't quite find the right one. So instead, this photograph encapsulates two facets of the month of July for me. One is - or should I use the plural and say 'are' - the flowers which have been blooming everywhere, and in so many of your photos. Here in the garden behind my house in southern Oregon, sunflowers are coming up, as they always do... The second thing is the combination of the dreadful, unseasonable heat (a byproduct of global warming which becomes more obvious with each passing year, sigh), and, most recently, the wildfires which have been flaring up in nearby parts of Oregon and neighboring California, whose smoke has, alas, now begun blanketing the small valley where I live. As a result, the skies are no longer clear, and fine layers of ash have been falling. It makes for beautiful sunsets - but in the daytime, the heat + smoke pollution is, in a word, oppressive.

My photo: the sunflowers at the back of the garden, and behind them the smoke filled skies which are now starting to obscure the mountain foothills behind them.

X30_July31_sunflowers+wildfire_smoke.jpg

This has been a great SiJ for me - the best parts being all your photos, and often, the accompanying words.

I had surgery on my skull Thursday and have a marble (big Marble) size lump and a buttload of stitches "you know that would be a shot:sick:" and a cracking headache today so I am being lazy for my last shot. I have learned this 17mm f95 lens is a little workhorse little not light . I had mentioned I goofed up and thought I was buying a 42.5 which I am seriously considering after a month with this lens but ! manual focus, no focus peaking or image magnification is a hassle so we will see. I mentioned the lens was loose in the barrel on day 2 I bought a kit and had little idea about the world of macro tools but the bit in the top right of the photo fits the back of a Mac book the ones for the lens were smaller. I should have shot this at f8 which really is good on this lens but my head hurts enough for today. It was a great challenge for me I appreciate everybody sticking it out. Btw the way maybe we should have a vote for our favorite photographer.
P8100008-Edit-Edit.jpg

I had surgery on my skull Thursday and have a marble (big Marble) size lump and a buttload of stitches "you know that would be a shot:sick:" and a cracking headache today so I am being lazy for my last shot. I have learned this 17mm f95 lens is a little workhorse little not light . I had mentioned I goofed up and thought I was buying a 42.5 which I am seriously considering after a month with this lens but ! manual focus, no focus peaking or image magnification is a hassle so we will see. I mentioned the lens was loose in the barrel on day 2 I bought a kit and had little idea about the world of macro tools but the bit in the top right of the photo fits the back of a Mac book the ones for the lens were smaller. I should have shot this at f8 which really is good on this lens but my head hurts enough for today. It was a great challenge for me I appreciate everybody sticking it out. Btw the way maybe we should have a vote for our favorite photographer.
View attachment 326653
Why no image magnification? That should be an option for fine-tuning focus.

Back