Single In Single in July (SiJy) 2022 - discussion

While I was working on day 1 & 2, I took note a several posibilities around the house and property, just in case of bad weather, or a shortage of time.
I have several "usual suspects", as I refer to them, on the drive to and from work. I like working them in all conditions - sunny, cloudy, rain, snow, etc. That way, if all else fails, I have a couple of options. You may get tired of that barn or creek but that's another story ;)

I'll be inside doing tabletop/ still life stuff for a few more days. Friday's doc appointment was with Dermatology for my annual skin check. Had three pre-cancerous lesions frozen and one chunk of skin removed for biopsy. I want to get a solid scab on that skin removal spot before spending much time out and about. Based on how it looks today, it's going to take at least a few more days.

I’m still having a bit of a time reacquainting myself with the wide view of this 14mm prime lens. I bought it a while back from fellow member @Bob T , mainly because at f2.5 it was faster then the kit lenses I had at the time and I love low light / night photography. I had some fun with it, but after a while it sat and saw little use. Last year I bought an old Sears 50mm f1.7 Pentax K mount lens and adapted that to the GX85 and fell in love with photography all over again - at a much more zoomed in scale....

I’m still having a bit of a time reacquainting myself with the wide view of this 14mm prime lens. I bought it a while back from fellow member @Bob T , mainly because at f2.5 it was faster then the kit lenses I had at the time and I love low light / night photography. I had some fun with it, but after a while it sat and saw little use. Last year I bought an old Sears 50mm f1.7 Pentax K mount lens and adapted that to the GX85 and fell in love with photography all over again - at a much more zoomed in scale....
LOL, @Glennn
My P15 is almost always on my camera, that's why I went with my little used Canon 50 for this challenge.

Quite a peculiar observation: I'm by now almost angry with myself for choosing the Canon 35mm f/2.8 LTM - that lens is such a solid performer and so predictable that it hardly presents a challenge; I probably should have stuck with the Heliar 40mm f/2.8 LTM. That said, who's to say that such challenges have to be a chore?

In essence: Happy with my choice - underwhelmed by my proper courage this time around :doh:

M.

Unfortunately, I’ve had to rush my wife to hospital this morning!

She’s struggling with her breathing (really bad asthma sufferer), with the added complication of being 7 months pregnant with twins!!

Not sure how long we are going to be here (people are lying in beds stacked in the corridors they’re that busy!), but looks like I might have to “stand down” from the SIJ challenge for a few days! 😞

She’s struggling with her breathing (really bad asthma sufferer), with the added complication of being 7 months pregnant with twins!!

Not sure how long we are going to be here (people are lying in beds stacked in the corridors they’re that busy!), but looks like I might have to “stand down” from the SIJ challenge for a few days! 😞
Life's what life is - something you can easily do is carry the camera at all times and post later if you were able to take the odd shot, but of course, noone's going to be mad at you for doing the right thing!

All the best for you and your wife (and your future kids!).

M.

The lens I'm using for this challenge is an old rangefinder lens that only focuses down to .7 meters. Quite often I want to go closer. One of the adapters I have has a helicoil that provides a few mm of extension allowing me get closer. I'm wondering if anyone feels that would be cheating.

I've already decided that, for me, holding a close-up diopter in front of the lens would go against the spirit of a "single lens".

I'd like to hear anyone's thoughts on this.

Fred

I spent a large part of Sunday in the ER for my mother in law. I shot exactly one frame that day and I don't like it. I posted it anyway because not every frame I shoot is a success and that's OK.

The lens I'm using for this challenge is an old rangefinder lens that only focuses down to .7 meters. Quite often I want to go closer. One of the adapters I have has a helicoil that provides a few mm of extension allowing me get closer. I'm wondering if anyone feels that would be cheating.

I've already decided that, for me, holding a close-up diopter in front of the lens would go against the spirit of a "single lens".

I'd like to hear anyone's thoughts on this.

Fred
Well I shall be using an extension tube from time to time with my chosen lens. I've done that in previous 'Single in...' challenges too. It's the same lens after all. Assessing how it works with an extension tube is one of the things I wanted to achieve in the month, since I use one quite a lot of the time.

Quite a peculiar observation: I'm by now almost angry with myself for choosing the Canon 35mm f/2.8 LTM - that lens is such a solid performer and so predictable that it hardly presents a challenge; I probably should have stuck with the Heliar 40mm f/2.8 LTM. That said, who's to say that such challenges have to be a chore?

In essence: Happy with my choice - underwhelmed by my proper courage this time around :doh:

M.
I could be happy shooting the rest of my life with a 35 and an 85-90ish. The longer lens is like home to me. Definitely my comfort zone. But the 35 is always there for when I need for in the frame. I'm very comfortable with the 35 but I'm already finding that I need to use it differently because I can't just switch to the longer lens.

If the lens is predictable it's time to find different ways to use it...

Life's what life is - something you can easily do is carry the camera at all times and post later if you were able to take the odd shot, but of course, noone's going to be mad at you for doing the right thing!

All the best for you and your wife (and your future kids!).

M.
I spent a large part of Sunday in the ER for my mother in law. I shot exactly one frame that day and I don't like it. I posted it anyway because not every frame I shoot is a success and that's OK.

Well, I brought my camera with me. It’s in the boot of the car….. so might be to get a cheeky shot in or two if we are still here tomorrow…

I could be happy shooting the rest of my life with a 35 and an 85-90ish. The longer lens is like home to me. Definitely my comfort zone. But the 35 is always there for when I need for in the frame. I'm very comfortable with the 35 but I'm already finding that I need to use it differently because I can't just switch to the longer lens.

If the lens is predictable it's time to find different ways to use it...
I *am* a 35mm guy. That's the trouble. It's just that I've been doing these challenges for a while now and am more or less used to thinking "outside of the box", but this time, I planted my feed firmly in the center of the field. The only restriction I'm facing is a minimum focus distance of 1m/3.5ft. which excludes some of my preferred subject matter. Besides, daily shooting holds no fears for me - I've been doing for 825 days already ... I would have appreciated a bit more excitement, that's all.

That said, I'm chuffed with the acquistion and like shooting the lens a lot. No worries. Maybe I shouldn't even have mentioned it. Too late ...

M.

I *am* a 35mm guy. That's the trouble. It's just that I've been doing these challenges for a while now and am more or less used to thinking "outside of the box", but this time, I planted my feed firmly in the center of the field. The only restriction I'm facing is a minimum focus distance of 1m/3.5ft. which excludes some of my preferred subject matter. Besides, daily shooting holds no fears for me - I've been doing for 825 days already ... I would have appreciated a bit more excitement, that's all.

That said, I'm chuffed with the acquistion and like shooting the lens a lot. No worries. Maybe I shouldn't even have mentioned it. Too late ...

M.
I get what you mean. I'm a "50mm" guy for sure so I'm rather in my comfort zone with the one I'm using.

Likewise, Canon lenses are wonderful as well - the gold standard of LTM to me. High quality, reliable and predictable lenses that are undervalued in the market right now. I think, generally, they are better than Nikon or Leica lenses of the same era even though both have the reputation. When I finally get myself a 28mm lens it will be a Canon 28mm as I had a 28/2.8 in the past and it was a magnificent lens.

Z50_3349.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Argh!

(Long version: Lost the focus lock ... Even though I noticed it pretty quickly and was able to correctly guess where, the only part I was able to find was the front knob :()

M.

Matt, you don't have to vandalize the lens just to get us to accept you making a lens change for the challenge! Just kidding, that has to be frustrating and I'm sorry. Is it just a screw missing, or something more complicated?

Edit: saw the last post. Both of those might be source-able elsewhere, maybe?

Back