Single In Single in July (SiJy) 2022 - discussion

Unfortunately, I’ve had to rush my wife to hospital this morning!

She’s struggling with her breathing (really bad asthma sufferer), with the added complication of being 7 months pregnant with twins!!

Not sure how long we are going to be here (people are lying in beds stacked in the corridors they’re that busy!), but looks like I might have to “stand down” from the SIJ challenge for a few days! 😞

IMHO I doubt anyone would be cross if you miss a day or three, do what needs to be done. Hope she gets better soon.

Infinity lock!
Here's the piece you're looking for, plus a spring too from the feel of mine.
View attachment 321067
Thanks for the image, that helps a lot! :2thumbs:

Matt, you don't have to vandalize the lens just to get us to accept you making a lens change for the challenge! Just kidding, that has to be frustrating and I'm sorry. Is it just a screw missing, or something more complicated?

Edit: saw the last post. Both of those might be source-able elsewhere, maybe?
Thankfully, I still have the distinctive part that needs to fit; the screw itself won't be a problem, the spring might be. However, there's bound to be a distancer (a little metal ring) in there somewhere, and I'll have to find a diagram or something to determine measurements.

Anyhow, the lens is perfectly usable without the infinity lock (thanks for correcting my language fumble!) and I have no intentions of selling it on - not after its performance so far! - so there's no rush to come up with a solution.

My film camera repair guy may be able to help, anyways ...

M.

I'd get a good magnet and go back and walk around with it hanging on a string. I bet you could find the pieces you're missing. Just drag the magnet like you're walking a dog on a leash.

It's not just a 'screw' that is needed.
As you can see in this picture (hopefully) there's a taper on the 'lock' portion of the lens ring that interacts with the taper of the head of the 'screw'.
DSC03552 (2).JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'd try DAG Camera Parts for the parts if you can't find them.
I'd get a good magnet and go back and walk around with it hanging on a string. I bet you could find the pieces you're missing. Just drag the magnet like you're walking a dog on a leash.
It's not just a 'screw' that is needed.
As you can see in this picture (hopefully) there's a taper on the 'lock' portion of the lens ring that interacts with the taper of the head of the 'screw'.
View attachment 321095
Thanks for all the help and pointers, guys. Just one little comment: I'm pretty sure the stuff flew apart and that I may have lost different parts at different times; I did two very thorough search passes over the area I found the knob at, and there was nothing to spot in spite of the surface colour and structure being actually helpful. The magnet idea is interesting - but I'd have to cover a really much bigger area without much hope nor any proof of actually having lost the screw, inlet and spring at the same spot as the knob ... Better to start looking for a replacement, I guess.

M.

Arm is healing. Swelling on the tricep above the elbow has reduced, but not completely gone. Scab is formed. Skin is a bit red around the cutout area, but no streaking. Have to keep it clean and watch it close for a few more days. Nice .5" x .75" (about 13mm x 19mm for you metric folks) rectangle excised off the arm. Should have biopsy results no later than a week from this coming Friday.

Have to go to the grocery store tomorrow, so I'll drag the camera around with me and try to get some cloud landscape shots while I'm out and about.

Quite a peculiar observation: I'm by now almost angry with myself for choosing the Canon 35mm f/2.8 LTM - that lens is such a solid performer and so predictable that it hardly presents a challenge; I probably should have stuck with the Heliar 40mm f/2.8 LTM. That said, who's to say that such challenges have to be a chore?

In essence: Happy with my choice - underwhelmed by my proper courage this time around :doh:

M.
If this is true, then using a GR is just plain cheating.

If this is true, then using a GR is just plain cheating.
If it helps, it was kinda tongue-in-cheek ... However, yes, of course using a GR *is* cheating :p

Honestly, I love my combo; today, I was very happy to have something that just works because time was extremely tight. I got a whole of six shots over 16 hours ... too much on my plate today - which is already yesterday as I write this. Second of two shots with the M combo was usable.

M.

If it helps, it was kinda tongue-in-cheek ... However, yes, of course using a GR *is* cheating :p

Honestly, I love my combo; today, I was very happy to have something that just works because time was extremely tight. I got a whole of six shots over 16 hours ... too much on my plate today - which is already yesterday as I write this. Second of two shots with the M combo was usable.

M.
These challenges have a long history of unusual (and occasionally exotic) lens choices. The GR is safe because it’s the iiix with 40 mme. I’m just comfy with that FL and the GRiiix is a tidy little package with a well matched lens and sensor. My other choices were the EP5 with the Linux 20 or the X-S10 with the 27. I also considered buying an A7C for the Sigma 45. I find still that last possibility tempting for the AF.

So far, things are going along quite well, I think. I've only had a couple of days where I had to truly make a safety shot. Shooting with the K1 II and the M 50mm f1.7 is completely simple and satisfying. They pair very well with each other, which is a testament to the versatility of the K1's design. A few of my shots have been in low light and with the camera set for a pretty dark exposure. One of the things I am surprised about is how well details are rendered even when the image is purposely underexposed. Of course, on a cheap monitor the results may just appear too dark, but on a good one there is a lot of subtlety to be seen. And I think subtlety of light is one of the things I've chased after for quite a while in my photography, with or without realizing it.

Carrying the K1 for a daily shot is a little different than when I used a GR or similarly small camera. I have to actually set an intentional time to go out and get a shot, since I can't just lug the camera to my workplace daily. But I've often had it in the car and sometimes take a few extra minutes after I get off for the day to drive somewhere I can take a shot. Carrying the camera when out for a long walk is surprisingly easy, and it all comes back to the excellent grip, which mitigates the weight of the camera very well.

I've been struggling somewhat over the last couple of days because, while the summer holidays are upon us, the hustle and bustle of the last couple of months is taking some time to subside, and since I'm feeling pretty exhausted, I'm not too happy that I can't start to relax just yet. The constant and continuing heat does play a part, too ...

M.

Nearly half way there. It's the first serious use for my G80 and I am very taken with it. It has a much more substantial feel than either the G7, or to my mind at least, my E-M1. The deep grip and rubberised coating make it feel very secure too. The EVF is really very cool. I'm still in two minds about the Sigma 30 though. It is very sharp, and does render very nicely, but it's just not a focal length that I'm comfortable with, and the minimum focus distance is just a bit too long. So it might not be ideal for my usage. I shall persevere for the rest of the month - maybe I'll change my opinion!

Nearly half way there. It's the first serious use for my G80 and I am very taken with it. It has a much more substantial feel than either the G7, or to my mind at least, my E-M1. The deep grip and rubberised coating make it feel very secure too. The EVF is really very cool. I'm still in two minds about the Sigma 30 though. It is very sharp, and does render very nicely, but it's just not a focal length that I'm comfortable with, and the minimum focus distance is just a bit too long. So it might not be ideal for my usage. I shall persevere for the rest of the month - maybe I'll change my opinion!
You know, I had the exact same feelings about the Sigma 30mm. 60mm-equiv is hard for me to use, and I've always felt it a bit odd how Pentax offers two DA (crop sensor) 40mm lenses which are both 60mm-equiv for their APS-C line. It's not the easiest lens to use for general purpose work. Then again, I had a different experience with the f1.4 version of the 30mm on M4/3. For that lens, the ability for shorter depth-of-field opened up my creativity a little, and for a single in challenge a few years ago I concentrated on layering near, middle and far distance objects with shallow DoF. I really enjoyed that experience, which surprised me as I never had much love with the f2.8 version years back.

Back