Single In Single in July (SiJy) 2022 - discussion

I don't really mind the 7-month Single-in cycle, Matt (@MoonMind ).

Welcome to the GM or tiny MFT club. When I was actively shooting the GM5 and was looking for a bigger/more featured MFT, every millimetre counted. It felt like the GX9, E-M10, E-M5 were much bigger and bulkier. After going into a camera store again, I realised how truly small the whole system is as the lenses dictate the overall size. For me, though, a 10-year old, MFT is so much more than enough to satisfy my Linear ProPhoto RGB needs. We're really living in a time period where there's just so many choices.
Personally I'm not a tech chaser either and I'm quite happy with my older MFT cameras. As a hobbyist I'll likely never reach its full potential. I only ended up with the GM1 per chance. Upon reading a thread about the failure of my original GX85, an incredibly generous member offered up the GM 1 along with a bunch of other stuff as they were in the process of a cleanout.

Last edited:
Personally I'm not a tech chaser either and I'm quite happy with my older MFT cameras. As a hobbyist I'll likely never reach its full potential. I only ended up with the GM1 per chance. Upon reading a thread about the failure of my original GX85, an incredibly generous member offered up the GM 1 along with a bunch of other stuff as they were in the process of a cleanout.
Same boat here. Anything with a viewfinder, a shutter button and a way to control the exposure triangle will do, actually. Right now, many manufacturers are amping up their marketing because the shipment/purchase slowdown is real, hence their focus on small changes on specs. Many are realising that we have gone way past peak camera around 10 years ago. Later tech specs are just add-ons.

The 2013 GM1 may look like a toy but it's a proper MILC and it's actually sturdy. When they marketed it in Japan, they asked people to step on it and try to buckle the chassis. Of course, the body didn't buckle. It's also a good point-and-shoot (P&S) disguise. I was able to enter events where only P&S allowed 7x already with my GM5!

I'm sitting at only 18 images for the collage. We had 29 for the collage back in January. I'd like more, but I'm not sure how long we should wait.

I'll go through mine here in a bit, will have to upsize some images. Will panos work, or mess up the collage?

edit - 3 uploaded.

Last edited:
In answer to Matt's thoughtful (and fascinating, to me) question - a 7-month cycle sounds... interesting. I'll vote for it.

As a general comment, having used my Fujifilm X30 every day for the last month... I'm remembering, again, why it is such a great little camera. It does many of the things I hope a camera could do, and it does them unobtrusively and organically. Though it doesn't have the dedicated (and rather retro-ish) shutter speed & ISO dials of its larger sibling, the XPro3 (not to mention the click-stopped aperture rings of some lenses), it nonetheless provides a shooting experience which seems rather old-school, in a good way. As (I think) I've said before, it reminds me in some ways of what for years was my favorite small (and small-sensored) camera, the little Lumix LX7 - except it's better, in many small ways.

Quite a few photographers often complain about how they'd prefer a newer and improved model of their old cameras - but though the X30 is a 9 year old camera, I can't honestly think of anything significant about it that needs improvement. For me, it was and still is one of the all-time great small-take-anywhere-and-enjoyable-to-take-pictures-with cameras.
I’ve used the X30 in some of these challenges. The zoom means you rarely have to crop and 12 mp is very effective for any online uses. It has such a nice lens.

Challenge Collage is on line.

Thanks for doing this David. I like all of them!

These are all simply... remarkable, David.
Thank you SO MUCH for doing this - and for creating all these different - and equally wonderful - versions and variations.
I don't have one 'favorite' - like Don, I truly like them all...
T-H-A-N-K Y-O-U !!!!!

I've reach out to a few to see if anyone wants to add their pictures, IT'S NOT TOO LATE. I'll keep the option open until the morning of Sunday 14th. Just let me know. Generating the collages is pretty simple when all I need to check is that no one has more than one larger image. Not like trying to make sure one cousin isn't in more images than another and not on the same page as that aunt for an event album. :dash2:

Hi David,
Where can we see the collages?

Back