Single In Single in July (SiJy) 2022: It's that time of year again ...

Ahhhh! I have a properly packed schedule in July and the days are really, really short. We also have unpredictable winters with thunderstorms, torrential rains, some clear skies but it's usually wet, depressed people, etc., so..... I am in! Makes good sense, right?

I will be using the Pentax K-3 + smc PENTAX-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR combo. Cheers.

Ok, I can see my choice is not going to work. Matt I'm going to need to change my load out to the Leica and my Nikkor 50/2.

Thanks,

William
I own that lens as well - great choice, looking forward to seeing the images :)

For me, the adapter question is going to be more decisive than I though - which means I'll try to get to the bottom of it *before* the challenge starts. As of now, my first impression (35mm frame lines over 50mm frame lines) may be the wrong choice for myself.

M.

I may actually have a last-minute change of mind because I have quite a peculiar lens incoming (won an auction, unexpectedly) - you'll see it once it's here.

Although ... I think the 40mm f/2.8 *will* present me with a "nice" (i.e. real) challenge - not because it's a bad lens, but because framing (for someone like me who is overly thorough about it and tries to get it right "in camera") is demanding. I just can't seem to bring myself to frame loosely ... and the 35mm frame lines are even less of a help (they mean I have to crop almost all of the time). Seems the right thing to get to the bottom of (if I'm at all able to) ...

I'll decide tomorrow - as of now, I'll stick with the 40mm f/2.8.

M.

I'm in! I'll use a Sony a7ii. My first impulse for a lens is an old Leica Elmar 50/3.5 just because it's the oldest lens I have that I can mount on that body. I never tried it though so I may change my mind before the start.
The Elmar 50 is just too hazy for me to use. It’s interesting but I think the challenge would become more a chore than a fun activity. I’m going to follow Matt’s lead and ask for suggestions. I have an Elmar 90/4 that’s almost as old, 1937 vs. 1936. A Summaron 35/2.8 that had goggles. I took them off years ago and now it’s a screw mount. And finally a Summicron 50. I have to warn you though, it’s the "worst" of the Summicrons. Version three, made in Canada. (YUCK! ;))

Anyway, right now I’m open to suggestions.

Last edited:
I may actually have a last-minute change of mind because I have quite a peculiar lens incoming (won an auction, unexpectedly) - you'll see it once it's here.

Although ... I think the 40mm f/2.8 *will* present me with a "nice" (i.e. real) challenge - not because it's a bad lens, but because framing (for someone like me who is overly thorough about it and tries to get it right "in camera") is demanding. I just can't seem to bring myself to frame loosely ... and the 35mm frame lines are even less of a help (they mean I have to crop almost all of the time). Seems the right thing to get to the bottom of (if I'm at all able to) ...

I'll decide tomorrow - as of now, I'll stick with the 40mm f/2.8.

M.
I've personally never been fond of 40s for that reason, they're neither fish nor fowl. I find I can tolerate fairly off framing but certain lenses drive me buggy. Good luck with the decision!

Last edited:
I tested positive for Covid this morning. Had been hoping to use the Fujifilm XF 50 f2 on the X-E4 but not sure how well that will work out for me if I can’t venture outside for the first couple of days of the challenge. The symptoms are mild so hopefully resolve soon. May settle on the 16 f2.8 if needs must. I’ve also just ordered the new (to me) 50 so it might not arrive in time anyway. It’s an unusual focal length for me so I was looking forward to trying it.

The Elmar 50 is just too hazy for me to use. It’s interesting but I think the challenge would become more a chore than a fun activity. I’m going to follow Matt’s lead and ask for suggestions. I have an Elmar 90/4 that’s almost as old, 1937 vs. 1936. A Summaron 35/2.8 that had goggles. I took them off years ago and now it’s a screw mount. And finally a Summicron 50. I have to warn you though, it’s the "worst" of the Summicrons. Version three, made in Canada. (YUCK! ;))

Anyway, right now I’m open to suggestions.
I'd simply *love* to see images from the Summaron ... more on that below. I'd be interested in the Summicron, too, but the Summaron is a lens I've always been intrigued by.

I've personally never been fond of 40s for that reason, they're neither fish nor fowl. I find I can tolerate fairly off framing but certain lenses drive me buggy. Good luck with the decision!
I really like 40mm usually, but I'm no good at compromises, especially not when photo strolling (my usual mode when out and about). So ...

... today, an interesting little lens arrived: the Canon 35mm f/2.8 LTM (version 1, made from 1951 to 1957). It's in pretty good nick and delivers sharp photos in the center with decidedly vintage looking backgrounds. Not a splash on the optical qualities of the Heliar - but much more convenient and interesting to shoot. So, while you *will* see quite a few images from the Voigtländer 40mm in the coming weeks (from the M10, because the M 262 will be reserved for the challenge), I'll use the Canon 35mm f/2.8 for the challenge.

M.

I tested positive for Covid this morning. Had been hoping to use the Fujifilm XF 50 f2 on the X-E4 but not sure how well that will work out for me if I can’t venture outside for the first couple of days of the challenge. The symptoms are mild so hopefully resolve soon. May settle on the 16 f2.8 if needs must. I’ve also just ordered the new (to me) 50 so it might not arrive in time anyway. It’s an unusual focal length for me so I was looking forward to trying it.
Karen, that's just so ... annoying (not you, the bloody v...). I hope you get well soon; don't worry about the gear decision - if there's ever been a good reason for postponing it, it's this one.

Get well soon!

M.

The Canon 35's wonderful lenses. At one time I had a 35/1.8 and it was very interesting, but I sold off all my accumulated LTM at a point around 2012. Mistake. BIG mistake.

Enjoy the 35/2.8 - that should be an exquisite lens.

On a completely different note, I may have a line on an Elmar 50/2.8. That could be a lot of fun too :) I'll still keep the Nikon for the challenge but getting to know an Elmar too? That could be fun!

Here's to hoping for mild symptoms and a speedy recovery! I know the main thing I battled with was fatigue, it's best to take it as easy as possible, though I also noticed a lot of muscle stiffness so some movement is good.

Ouch. I hope it stays mild for you and it goes away quickly.

Back