Single in October 2018: Who's in?

Name
Matt
Hello everyone,

As promised, I propose the first Single in October Challenge on Cameraderie.org. This is meant to be our new take on the time-tested "Single in" concept that resulted in a row of SiJ (Single in January) events over the past couple of years. For those who missed the discussion that led to this new rhythm, see this thread (parts of this post are copied from an earlier one there).

I'm honoured to be acting as sort of a master of ceremonies for the time being. Bill (@bilzmale) will make sure I don't do anything wrong; that said, whatever mistakes occur are mine, not his.

I'll start a list of participants in the next post and will maintain that during the whole of the challenge (of course, it's meant to be complete by the end of September).

The core rules are supposed to be as follows:
  1. The challenge runs for the whole month of October 2018.
  2. Those who participate contribute one shot per day, posted in the appropriate thread.*
  3. Participants choose a camera/lens combination and use it for the entire challenge; it is up to you if you do any other photography during the challenge, though.
  4. It should be obvious that the "Singe in" spirit is best expressed by choosing a prime lens; however, we have had zoom users participate in the past with great results, so this is not compulsory.
*Bill has agreed to create and (if need be) moderate those threads for us.

We expect all participants to honour these rules - but we will not enforce them. Apart from rule 1, there may always be fully justifiable exceptions. Remember, this isn't a serious competition, after all - quite the contrary, in fact.

The challenge is mainly meant to be fun, but it's also an opportunity to advance your photography by forcing you to deal with self-imposed limitations and expectations. It's also a good way to get those creative juices flowing in order to create a worthwhile shot each day.

We support each other by appreciating everyone's efforts and by being understanding in case someone runs into difficulties; dedicated reporting threads will be set up to facilitate this. We also accept personal decisions as well as re-evaluations of any previous ones that help someone complete the challenge.

The key recommendations are as always:
  • Pick a camera/lens combo you don't mind carrying *all the time*.
  • If you decide to choose a theme or dedicated subject matter, keep it manageable.
  • More generally, don't overdo the extra limitations (explore your own limits instead - as well as those of your chosen gear).
  • Focus on the challenge, but don't put yourself under any unnecessary pressure. As seriously as you may be prepared to take this, it's still just a game.
  • Be determined, but be patient and gracious about your own shortcomings and those of others. Everyone struggles occasionally - but we're here to help.
Creativity needs opportunity and dedication - find your wave and ride it.

Enjoy yourself! You have a lot to gain and essentially nothing to lose.

M.

List of participants (and their chosen gear):

@AndyMcD (Fujifilm X-T3 with 16mm f/1.4)
@bilzmale (Fujifilm X100T)
@Bobby Tingle (Fujifilm X-Pro2 with 16-55mm f/2.8)
@Briar (Panasonic GX9 with 12-32mm f/3.5-5.6)
@Burkey (Epson R-D1 with Voigtländer 35mm f/1.4)
@Covey22 (Fujifilm X30)
@dalto (Olympous E-M1 II with 60mm f/2.8)
@donlaw (Olympus E-P5 with Panasonic 20mm f/1.7)
@drd1135 (Fujifilm X70)
@grebeman (Leica D-Lux Typ 109)
@Hageneth (Canon M with 22mm f/2)
@Hanneke (Fujifilm X-T20 with 18-55mm f/2.8-4)
@jssaraiva (Sigma DP2 Merrill)
@Lightmancer (Sony RX100 III at 50mm-e)
@marlof (Panasonic GX9 with 20mm f/1.7)
@Matero (Olympus E-M5 II with 12-40mm f/2.8)
@MoonMind (MiNT RF70 with colour film, digital backup: Canon G1X III)
@muzee (Pentax K01 with SMC M 50mm f/1.7)
@NoSeconds (Panasonic GF1 with 20mm f/1.7)
@Ripleysbaby (Ricoh GR II)
@theoldsmithy (Panasonic LX100)
@Tim Williams (Fujifilm X-T1 with 35mm f/2)

Last edit: 05-10-18

M.

Last edited:
I'm having a bit of trouble deciding on my pick this year - more so since reading what everyone else is planning, actually ...
  • I'll not use the M10 - it's got dust on its sensor and will go to Leica Switzerland for a clean-up soon. No use fretting over it being back in time for the start of SiO ...
  • I've been shooting more with the GR recently - simply because I found it to be a great sidekick and complement to whatever else I was carrying; it'd be interesting to have to stick with it for a whole month. It's also a great travel camera (and I'll be in Munich and Berlin at the beginning of October).
  • I've been planning on using the GF1 for a monthly challenge for quite some time now - but curiously, I haven't enjoyed shooting with it recently as much as I used to; so, this could turn out to be tougher than it's worth it for me ... On the other hand, if several people choose to go with the 20mm f/1.7, comparing results may turn out to be extremely interesting.
  • It's been a while since I shot a serious wide-angle during a monthly challenge; the Samyang 24mm f/2.8 has been a fun lens to explore so far, but I haven't really put it through its paces yet - SiO would defintely change that.
I still have time to decide - but the GR is the most inviting option at the moment. But I'm open to suggestions ...

M.

I currently only have one lens, which is a zoom. So, if I decide to shoot everything at a specific aperture, would that be in the spirit of the SI? If not, I'm good with picking a specific focal length.

I've done very little photography in recent months, however yesterday's efforts at the bus rally 2018 Kingsbridge Bus Rally have given me a renewed impetus, in part due to now fully processing images with Gimp and RawTherapee. I've always used a prime lens in the past, however to help keep my interest and add some variety I might chose a zoom this time. If each outing is to be treated as a photography mission I'll use the X-Pro 2 and 18-55mm zoom, if I feel ease of carrying is paramount it will be the Leica D-lux Typ 109 with it's inbuilt short range zoom which I have set for specific focal lengths, so it would be easy to chose the same focal length for the majority of shots straying somewhat if the subject demands it (I don't intend wading chest deep just to keep the same focal length in use for example!).

Decisions decisions.

Barrie

I'm in with the Fuji X100T. As I have some restrictions on mobility and mood I've mainly shot in and around the house and garden. Next month I have chosen a theme of "From the kerb". I will roam a little wider and get a shot of what I can see from the kerb/footpath/sidewalk. Expect lots of mail boxes and a range of post processing to keep it interesting.

I have now processed images from a previous bus rally taken with my Leica D-Lux Typ 109 using Gimp 2.10 and RawTherapee of the same subjects photographed this year with my X-Pro 2. At a screen/web level there is little to choose between them although the X-Pro 2 would obviously produce larger prints and resolves finer detail such as foliage more convincingly. However given the need to carry a camera on a daily basis I shall be using the Leica D-Lux Typ 109 for the SIO, it's not all about image quality but seeing photographic opportunities when out and about on ones everyday business or pleasure, as well as looking for new opportunities rather than repeating oneself with similar subject matter. I have in the past used various photo editors but having resolved to use my Linux set up for all my photographic processing I shall be using Gimp 2.10 and RawTherapee throughout the SIO. Decision made, which is perhaps rather quick for me! The next decision is will there be a theme? Well that's for me to ponder over and need not concern the rest of you.

Barrie

****Edit**** (As might be expected.)
Hi Matt,
OK, I'm in. I'll be using the Leica CL and Lens to be determined. I'm a bit torn about the camera/lens selection since I want to be carrying my gear out on bike trail rides for possible images. Hopefully the CL and Summicron will survive the bumpy rides.
. . . David

Last edited:
I’m gonna be in, using the GX9 and a second hand lumix 12-32, but I won’t be able to post up images in October as I’m gonna have limited/no computer access over the next couple of months. I will follow the threads and post comments whenever I get the opportunity though and, most likely, post a link to my SiO images some time in November!!! :blush:

I'm in with the Fuji X100T. As I have some restrictions on mobility and mood I've mainly shot in and around the house and garden. Next month I have chosen a theme of "From the kerb". I will roam a little wider and get a shot of what I can see from the kerb/footpath/sidewalk. Expect lots of mail boxes and a range of post processing to keep it interesting.

Maybe I should do the same thing, Bill. Mobility and mood restrictions, and a savage case of cant be bothered. I need a scooter.

Back