Single in October 2018: Who's in?

Okay, the RF70 has arrived - and it's one heck of a camera, at least compared to what's been available so far for Fujifilm Instax Wide films. The lens is commendably sharp when stopped down a bit (it's glowy and somewhat soft wide open, but not obnoxiously so), and the ability to control exposure is fantastic; with the add-on ND filters, it's a great outdoors camera - a first among Instax cameras as a whole.

I'll do the challenge with this thing, come what may.

M.

Okay, the RF70 has arrived - and it's one heck of a camera,
M.
Oh, that's what I call a camera. The look of that thing takes me back to my first ever camera, a Voigtlander Bessa I 8 on 120 folding roll film camera, happy days. I did get the Bessa II later which had a coupled rangefinder, but the Bessa I was my favourite. I look forward to seeing the results over the next four weeks.

Barrie

I would love to try this. I need to do something to get me to spend more time taking pictures

Since I have a new macro lens coming tomorrow, it seems like it would be adventurous to try that.

How about Fujifilm X-T3 + 80mm f/2.8

Oh, that's what I call a camera. The look of that thing takes me back to my first ever camera, a Voigtlander Bessa I 8 on 120 folding roll film camera, happy days. I did get the Bessa II later which had a coupled rangefinder, but the Bessa I was my favourite. I look forward to seeing the results over the next four weeks.

Barrie
I own the Bessa RF (the older model) - it's my favourite 6x9 camera :) But I'll take the Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 531/16, my best 6x6 folder, to Berlin together with the RF70 and the GR; I'm still debating if I should also take the Canon G1X III ... which reminds me, I'll have to figure out how to scan on the road ...

M.

Last edited:
Although I have a new D850 arriving tomorrow, it is too heavy to carry around all month. I intend to finalize my choice of E-P5 with 20mm/f1.7
Already have two business trips planned for October. Still I am in. Have to decide if there will be a theme. SIJ was all b&w portraits, so I might try to do that again. It was challenging, but I enjoyed it.

Last edited:
I'm mizzling again. I may join, and if I do, it is likely to be the V1+18.5mm, because the problem with the blanking rear screen which caused me to not use it in January has been resolved with a bit of judicious cleaning of the eye sensor. Sighhhh. Such a simple solution.
Great combo, Sue - it's versatile, quick to use and produces very nice images, in spite of its age; even if I let go of a considerable chunk of my Nikon gear soon (APS-C is - most probably - going to go), I'll keep the V1, it's a classic in my eyes. I'd love to see spring images in autumn, too, so I really hope you'll join us :)

To everyone else: I'll issue a last call tomorrow - gear decisions should be made till Sunday. As far as participation goes, it's a lovely line-up, we will have fun! To everyone dithering: Try it, it's definitely a worthwhile experience!

M.

Great combo, Sue - it's versatile, quick to use and produces very nice images, in spite of its age; even if I let go of a considerable chunk of my Nikon gear soon (APS-C is - most probably - going to go), I'll keep the V1, it's a classic in my eyes. I'd love to see spring images in autumn, too, so I really hope you'll join us :)

To everyone else: I'll issue a last call tomorrow - gear decisions should be made till Sunday. As far as participation goes, it's a lovely line-up, we will have fun! To everyone dithering: Try it, it's definitely a worthwhile experience!

M.
I second Matt's appeal. If you are waffleing on whether to try, I can tell you I have found it to be one of the best ways to push yourself into learning more of what you can do when you have self imposed limits!

***Big Edit, Big Change***
I'm still very excited about this October "Challenge". January in Vermont, although great for subject matter, can be really rough in regards to weather.
I am switching over to the R-D1s and Voigtlander 35mm Nokton "Classic" based on some grab shots I took this morning outside of our house. (Anyway, my wife said the R-D1s needs a workout.)
'Looking forward to getting "out and about" finding images.
I too encourage anyone who's still undecided to just toss their hat in the ring and enjoy the experience. Good luck.
This image from this morning convinced me to switch over. I've shot this before but this morning's image was a very pleasant surprise.
. . . David
Water Drops.jpg

Last edited:
I considered for a moment this morning switching over to the R-D1s and Voigtlander 35mm "Classic" but decided to stay with the CL and Zeiss Planar 50mm.
|| OLD QUOTE :)
I think you'll be happy with your choice; while the VM 35 f/1.4 can be capricious (but actually because of that, produces simply stunning images at times), the Planar is a precision tool that should work extremely well with the CL. Concerning that FoV, I'm looking into getting a 75mm for my M10 because I enjoy that kind of angle so much but only have it covered by zooms so far. I'm looking forward to seeing the results!

EDIT: LOL, you really shot me down this time :D I'll adapt the list accordingly ;)

M.

Last edited:
I am having to work in the Outer Hebrides until the 8th, maybe 10th. Network and wifi are an unknown quantity at the moment .
But I will of coarse still be taking photos for upload sometime :2thumbs:

Thanks, Matt. I owe ya'. Yes, the Nokton 35mm Classic SC is very capricious. Cranky? Moody? Maybe. The Planar 50mm makes a wonderful 75mm FOV lens on an APS-C sensor camera. It even has a bit of character. ;-). I'll be interested in what 75mm you end up considering for your M10.
Good luck and thanks for accepting my gear change.
. . . David

Last edited:
I'll be interested in what 75mm you end up considering for your M10.
Actually, it's probably going to be a Summarit, either the 75mm f/2.5 or the (newer) 75mm f/2.4 - virtually the same lens. Am watching a f/2.5 for half its new price right now ...

Good luck and thanks for accepting my gear change.
Don't mention it - it's entirely up to you anyway. btw. I'm very, very curious to see what the R-D1 can do :)

M.

Back