Single In Single in October (SiO) 2021 - day 17

Imperfections on a glass
P1001596.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Not so extraordinary picture but growing importance in my mind. I visited my mother in my hometown and had a stroll in the area I never remember walking when I lived in the town and found this memorial. It is the memorial of Pori regiment established 1626 and its Sniper battalion which moved in the area 1883. 1966 regiment moved to another barracks in another city. 1970 area was given for University of Turku, established 1920, but university's predecessor Academy of Turku was established already 1640, but moved to Helsinki when city of Helsinki was established and given the status of capitol city of Finland, when Russians were in charge of things 🙄

E89BB138-892F-4B25-9CB6-7FB94D67A73A.jpeg

Last edited:
Taken around midnight, with nonexistent available light: these are the Sangre de Cristo mountains - which technically are part of the larger Rocky Mountain chain - in southern Colorado, just above the remote house where my brother lives.

Xpro3_Oct16_21_Sangre_de_Cristo_de_noche.jpg

There is something invigorating about being able to breathe fresh mountain air, which is impossible to adequately convey in either words or pictures.

Last edited:
Mostly. A buddy of mine works in the Forestry Dept. at Va Tech, and he's shown me some trees down on the Piedmont that we don't have up here.
A colleague in Biology, John Knox, worked most of his career on a rare flowering plant called Helenium Virginicum, known by the common name Virginia sneezeweed. It's a tiny flower only found in this part of Virgina. I couldn't remember the common name (I remembered Helenium Virginicum. What a nerd.) and went to Wikipedia. Two of the nine references are his.

Back