Single In Single in October (SiO) 2021 - day 18

mpetersonphoto-20211018-_DSF7083.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A minor additional note to my SiO entry for this day: I spent quite a bit of time talking with Bill Ellzey, in Crestone Colorado, over the last few days - and feel fortunate to have heard a number of his stories about photographing different scenes or moments. Bill was raised on a cattle ranch in northern Texas and grew up and spent years as a working ranch hand/cowboy. One of his better known photographs, taken with a Kowa camera during a snowstorm on the ranch where he lived and worked, is titled "Calf rescue". Among the many details he shared with me, the day he shot this image, the weather was so cold that his camera (an old Kowa 6, what some have described as a poor man's Hasselblad) completely froze and was non-operational. To make the camera work again, he had to spend a bit of time inside the cab of a pickup truck with the heater running, hoping to thaw it out enough to resume operations; the process worked and he was able to take a few exposures.

ellzey_calf_rescue.jpg

Bill is an articulate, engaging and inspiring human being, apart from being a fine photographer. (Note: this digital scan of his original photograph fails to come anywhere near close to the impact of seeing Bill's original large print of the photo, hanging on the wall.)

Last edited:
This is such a cool image, Karen.
I only have a few questions: can one actually 'wear' this mask/helmet?
And, if so, where might one be able to find, or purchase it?

LOL thanks! You can wear the mask. It’s for adults. You can buy the mask on Amazon but if you hunt around you should be able to pick it up cheaper. I think mine was about £6 from a local supermarket.

LOL thanks! You can wear the mask. It’s for adults. You can buy the mask on Amazon but if you hunt around you should be able to pick it up cheaper. I think mine was about £6 from a local supermarket.

Thank you for posting this!! My daughter loves steampunk. I just ordered her one.

Back