Single In Single in October (SiO) 2021 - discussion

Okay, folks, just one last effort - only 10% of the way left to go!

I feel for those who have run into issues with completing the challenge this time around - these are volatile times, and I too have had problems finding enough time to shoot (my chosen combo, that is). These challenges can be tough (they're designed to be!).

However, we've come this far - let's see this through!

M.

Yes, it was a lot of fun. I was especially lucky to do my days in Memphis during it and I was reminded just how flexible the 50mm FOV is and that this one in particular - the Nokton 50/1.5 aspherical LTM - is a really fine example of one that's great for everyday use. Still think I need to add a Sonnar type - probably eventually both the Nikkor HC 50/2 and the 7Artisans 50/1.1 - but this one is a great lens that I am fortunate to have.

It's been fun sharing my little window into the natural world. Lest anyone think I'm some sort of a botanical expert - I'm not. I'm just a nerd who enjoys rambling through the forests learning about things I see, and I've made the amateur study of trees and shrubs a sort of avocation. There were a couple of species I would have liked to substitute into the list because they are more colorful or have interesting characteristics, but I didn't come across any suitable specimens in my travels. 'Till next time.

A special thanks and 'shout out' to Matt (aka MoonMind) - for organizing this, setting up the multiple ongoing daily threads - and treating us to some wonderful and quite à propos musical treats, at beginning of each thread. There are a million tiny things which go unseen - the Devil is in the details, as they say - but the details of this SiO were functional and helpful and at moments inspiring - so MUCHAS GRACIAS, Matt!

This is the first time I've found the single in challenge tough. Some days I had fun but there were too many days this month that I didn't. Some days I planned but many were shot at the very last minute. Some days I cared but on too many days I really didn't. Family/work/life/just finding time to breath - you know how it can be. I can't believe I only managed one day outdoors (day 2 - it's been a long month). The weather really didn't help - Scotland, the dreich! All that said, I'm still glad I took part, after all, some days shooting pictures was fun. And seeing all your photos every day has been a joy.

One thing we never seem to do at the end of this challenge (least not that I can remember) is look back at our own pictures from the month and choose a favourite to share. Do you have a favourite?

.....One thing we never seem to do at the end of this challenge (least not that I can remember) is look back at our own pictures from the month and choose a favourite to share. Do you have a favourite?
Not sure what others have done. But I do have a set of galleries on my site where I normally post 15-20 of my images from the challenge.

But a thread to post maybe 1-3 of our personal favorites for the month might not be a bad idea.

This is the first time I've found the single in challenge tough. Some days I had fun but there were too many days this month that I didn't. Some days I planned but many were shot at the very last minute. Some days I cared but on too many days I really didn't. Family/work/life/just finding time to breath - you know how it can be. I can't believe I only managed one day outdoors (day 2 - it's been a long month). The weather really didn't help - Scotland, the dreich! All that said, I'm still glad I took part, after all, some days shooting pictures was fun. And seeing all your photos every day has been a joy.

One thing we never seem to do at the end of this challenge (least not that I can remember) is look back at our own pictures from the month and choose a favourite to share. Do you have a favourite?
I can imagine. I had only a few days rained out and I certainly made the plants in my overgrown yard earn their keep.

This is my first Single-In challenge and truly enjoyed it. The challenge for me was to take everything SooC and not take many good shots for the day so I could use them for the other days!

The work of @marlof and @Hanneke gave me the to bring up a theme for the challenge.

I enjoyed everyone's entry even when we all became rather stale around the last 3rd of the challenge.

As always, I'll finish with the collage of entries. All pictures in "the light version" were taken on the GX9 with the 20 1.7, using the L Monochrom setting, should all be a bit abstract but feature a lamp. Until somewhere in the eighties my father used to work for a design lamp factory. Both he and the factory are no longer around. Last year we bought a house built in 1978. The previous owners left us some of their design lamps from that era. To our surprise they were made by the factory my father used to work for at that time. That inspired this month's theme.
I enjoyed your series, @marlof (or SiO setup twin). There's always that serene feel to all of them, probably magnified by the L Monochrome profile.
Yes, it was a lot of fun. I was especially lucky to do my days in Memphis during it and I was reminded just how flexible the 50mm FOV is and that this one in particular - the Nokton 50/1.5 aspherical LTM - is a really fine example of one that's great for everyday use. Still think I need to add a Sonnar type - probably eventually both the Nikkor HC 50/2 and the 7Artisans 50/1.1 - but this one is a great lens that I am fortunate to have.
I am also a fan of the 50mm EFL. I enjoyed my Lumix G 25mm when I had it. I had to sell it because I already have another 25mm even though a manual one. I like the fact that one can almost always see the frame on every scene.
A special thanks and 'shout out' to Matt (aka MoonMind) - for organizing this, setting up the multiple ongoing daily threads - and treating us to some wonderful and quite à propos musical treats, at beginning of each thread. There are a million tiny things which go unseen - the Devil is in the details, as they say - but the details of this SiO were functional and helpful and at moments inspiring - so MUCHAS GRACIAS, Matt!
Agreed, @MiguelATF. The challenges and moderation are special, making this forum one in a million.

I appreciate the moving forward of the thread so we here in the eastern part of the globe won't have to wait 12 hours before we can post.

Same here in NZ. Oftentimes, we just had too much going on with this COVID/vaccine fiasco plus we had to work more, at least remotely. Even now, people are paranoid to the point that they ask whether or not one is vaccinated inside a supermarket or even when giving help!

Regarding my favourite, I will scroll through my entries and probably post it here.

The ups and downs of such a challenge make this a very valid question ...

Not sure what others have done. But I do have a set of galleries on my site where I normally post 15-20 of my images from the challenge.

But a thread to post maybe 1-3 of our personal favorites for the month might not be a bad idea.
... so I agree with David and ...

Regarding my favourite, I will scroll through my entries and probably post it here.
... will provide a suitable thread :)

M.

A first for me, somewhat and a challenge I stumbled into.

May not have picked the LX7 if I had found the initial tread before the challenge started but glad I did at the end. Ended up with a great variety (somewhat) of shooting settings and the camera is somewhat of a pocket rocket, even though old. The last week I have shot it with a viewfinder (LVF-2) in place and one of those self-opening lens caps and both of those accessories adds to the experience.

It also somewhat, for me at least, brings something more to the table. I had, back in 06-09, thoughts about getting something in the Canon G-series, add the screw in WAC and TC and call it the day, but got derailed by a colleague in 09 back into the (D)SLR world and ended up with a Pentax K7 which I seldom used. Having pondered this a bit, I would most likely have been very happy with the then freshly released GF1 and/or the LX5, and actually brought a camera on many situations, which now is lost in time. Uncertainty and "fear of the unkown" as to Panasonic as a camera producer, as well as bad experience with 110 film kept me off it (M43 sensor size is somewhat equal to 110 negative size).

In relation to this challenge, it has to do with participating with a system that for the 3/4 of the duration, was undertaken with a total investment of $58, which is something I find somewhat intriguing, for me at least. With the add-ons, the price tag is quite a lot higher, but I seriously do like a viewfinder.

I think the standard of photos in this challenge have been particularly high, especially given the ongoing circumstances. I very much enjoyed @tonyturley 's botanical explorations, and seeing the apparently inexhaustible ghoulish creativity of the residents of Talent, as captured by @MiguelATF. And the versatility of a long macro lens was very well shown by @MoonMind.
I loved shooting with the Kultcamera app...right up until I didn't. I found the quality of image mostly surprisingly good, but the tiny 'viewfinder' got wearing, as did the slight shutter lag which caught me out a few times. But I thought the square format was quite liberating to use, and the convenience of just using a phone (which is always with me anyway) is not to be discounted. I'm already looking forward to upgrading to the Pixel 6 next summer, but first I shall be using a 'proper' camera for a while!

Back