Single In Single in October (SiO) 2021 - discussion

I feel like I was comparatively quite a slacker in the quality of my posts this month. It's been the Single In where I've had the least free time, it would probably have been wise to refrain this time. However it was very enjoyable following all the other posts, so I'm glad I participated! I look forward to a time when I have more freedom to get photos, but what with cramming school in with work, it probably won't ease up much (other than breaks) until probably next summer or so, when I should have my degree (we will see how many credits I can cram into subsequent terms). It's nice to have some added structure which gives me a sense of progress in life (which is sorely lacking during the pandemic otherwise), but the added deadlines and such contribute negatively to any ability to relax.

Two things:
1. I enjoyed experimenting with more cinematic crops. I have a better idea of how to take such an image SOC. Eterna was not as big a hit as a daily film simulation.
2. Amusingly, using a 40 mme f2.8 lens on the X-T30 lead to buy a pocketable version, the GRiiix.

Thanks again to Matt for driving the bus.

In general I'm glad I swapped the X100v for the E-P7 + P14. But I have to admit 35mme or 40mme is much easier for indoor cold and rainy day shots. Once my P20 get here I'll end up with pretty close to the X100v + WCL in a smaller and lighter package; one that I can add my 9mm BCL-fish to and have an interesting little kit.

Last edited:
I think the one thing I have learned, after shooting with a classic 'normal' focal length this month (the 35mm lens on my Fuji, which technically is a 52.5mm and not a 50mm, but it's 'close enough for government work', as they say), is that a normal or nifty-fifty really is an incredibly versatile tool for seeing the world. It also took me back to my analog roots where, for many years, I shot with 50mm lenses on my old Pentaxes... and how that way of seeing the world used to feel 'right' to me.

Limiting one's choices is really a great exercise.

I was reminded once again that the little and ancient Pen F 38/1.8 lens is capable of nice imagery, as evidenced by the 3 images I posted in the "Favorites" thread. It can also be a real struggle working with it when the light dims. Several images I thought were in focus turned out not to be when viewed on a larger screen. The FOV is also a bit too tight for what I usually prefer in routine use. If the XF 27mm F2 WR ever comes back in stock (thanks supply chain), I'm considering getting one.

Two things:
1. I enjoyed experimenting with more cinematic crops. I have a better idea of how to take such an image SOC. Eterna was not as big a hit as a daily film simulation.
2. Amusingly, using a 40 mme f2.8 lens on the X-T30 lead to buy a pocketable version, the GRiiix.

Thanks again to Matt for driving the bus.
Isn't it cool that three new mainstream 40mm options hit the market this year? Fuji 27mm v2, Nikon 40mm f2.8 (admittedly 60mm on the APS-C camera they're including it with, but still) and GRIIIx. It's almost like the glory days of compact 40mm cameras and 40mm lenses for SLRs just manifested for a hot minute.

Isn't it cool that three new mainstream 40mm options hit the market this year? Fuji 27mm v2, Nikon 40mm f2.8 (admittedly 60mm on the APS-C camera they're including it with, but still) and GRIIIx. It's almost like the glory days of compact 40mm cameras and 40mm lenses for SLRs just manifested for a hot minute.
The Z 40mm f/2 isn't included with any kit, unfortunately - it's a FF lens anyway, but the 28mm f/2.8 SE is a 42mm equivalent on the Z fc - and it does very well, at that. That's your *other* Nikon "40mm" option, actually. Whatever ... I'm a big fan of the FoV as well as the lenses/cameras mentioned above, so I find it even tougher that the Z 40mm f/2 doesn't seem to want to arrive in Switzerland any time soon (still not scheduled - it's actually quite depressing ...).

M.

Especially since I can’t afford a Leica Q2 and crop.

The Z 40mm f/2 isn't included with any kit, unfortunately - it's a FF lens anyway, but the 28mm f/2.8 SE is a 42mm equivalent on the Z fc - and it does very well, at that. That's your *other* Nikon "40mm" option, actually. Whatever ... I'm a big fan of the FoV as well as the lenses/cameras mentioned above, so I find it even tougher that the Z 40mm f/2 doesn't seem to want to arrive in Switzerland any time soon (still not scheduled - it's actually quite depressing ...).

M.
Yes, sorry, I was confused by the recent 40mm Z lens announcement from Nikon. The 28mm SE should have been the one I referenced :)

Back