Single In Single in October (SiO) 2021 - discussion

Well here’s my representative for the coming month, limbering up (😂), needs a blow to make the sure the dust’s off the glass. Better remember to input the non cpu lens data into the camera too.
EC91BF10-8EDB-400F-A9BF-FBDB76E71F59.jpeg

In previous years, I’ve had a strategy for getting through the month but not this time, it’s going to be a spontaneous one. But you can do that with a 50mm.

Last edited:
My ax for the coming month. The interesting thing is that I'm going on a trip to Memphis from the 9th to the 20th. I'll have use of a computer to download and post from but I won't have my copy of Capture One as that's here on my desktop. So I've reset the film mode to vivid color and I'll play with SOOC jpg this month too.

20210930_192145.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

What I will be using this month... and what has become one of my favorite camera + lens combinations in a very short period of time.

XPro3_Aug23_21_XPro3+XF35(mono).jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

To make things even simpler (or more minimal, as the case may be), I'm only going to be using the in-camera 'Classic Negative' film simulation that the clever elves who live in the Fujjifilm colour laboratories cooked up some time ago.

What I will be using this month... and what has become one of my favorite camera + lens combinations in a very short period of time.
Love this combo. I came really close to using my X-Pro2 for this challenge…haven’t had the opportunity to try the “3”. The Fuji 35/1.4 is one of my favorite lenses in any system. Looking forward to seeing the photos.

I'm referring to some posts in today's (day 3) thread:

Today wasn't a day where I went out shooting and thought to myself "that's the one" and it was hard deciding what to put forward but here it is, today's best effort. Shouldn't have gone wide open for this shot but I did and, well, can't uncook the turkey now.
View attachment 272252
Well, I have been dabbing with the aspect ratios on the LX7, and found, much to my suprise, that I shot most of todays frames in 1X1 even though I had one scene I`d like to capture in that particular ratio... :drinks:
Ah, the intricacies of these Single In challenges - the more time you spend shooting for the challenge, the more issues arise :laugh1: I took literally 2 shots yesterday in a 5 minute spell and it was my best day so far!

A couple of observations and pieces of advice:
  • This is a challenge - issues are assets, solutions are what it's at.
  • If you feel yourself getting over-excited, slow down, work deliberately. It's more rewarding anyway, and does a good job preventing avoidable mistakes.
  • Don't (ever) put any unnecessary pressure upon yourself - there's always the famous art of the "safety shot" to be explored.
  • Use the first couple of days to get to the bottom of your chosen gear (if it's something you usually don't use) - it makes keeping things going easier long-term.
  • If everything else fails, shoot daily for over a year - and "Single in" challenges will begin to feel like a welcome break from a less focused way of shooting. ;)
All that said, today, I took way too many cameras (five!) with me to satisfy both the SiO and other "projects". Thankfully, for once, I managed to not dither too much out in the field so it didn't get so bad that I have to actually regret my choices, but it all made for more "work" than it should have been. Anyway, I didn't use the instant cameras enough - and didn't feel like scanning anything in the evening either, so that aspect turned into kind of a futile exercise. It wasn't a complete waste of time because I confirmed some suspicions (the Lomo'Instant Mini Glass needs a hood, badly), but I'd've preferred images to insights ...

M.

I was somewhat sidetracked anyway as today was the day of the London Marathon which always breezes though my area so I had to focus my camera on that, probably where all my picture taking energies went today.

I had an interesting thought today. This challenge represents an important part of what I want a camera/lens to do well. I wonder to what extent I base my camera choices on what would best help me to produce the kind of images I want to post on the forum. OTOH, maybe I should actively think of these challenges and what works when I think of what to buy.

This is mine, and when I'm obligated to shoot in quite dark times of the day on working days, I've found that AF DC Nikkor 105mm F/2D is hunting a bit with focus. And the eyes are not what they used to be, so missed focus few times now.

View attachment 272639
In spite of my truely wonderful optics for this challenge (no regrets!), I have to confess to envy when I see this lens ...

M.

Back