Single In Single in October (SiO) 2021 - discussion

This is mine, and when I'm obligated to shoot in quite dark times of the day on working days, I've found that AF DC Nikkor 105mm F/2D is hunting a bit with focus. And the eyes are not what they used to be, so missed focus few times now.

View attachment 272639

Every time I see a photo of a Df, I am reminded of what a classically handsome camera it is. And, though it is probably an irrational subjective opinion, there seems to be something special about the image files which a Df can create. I remember thinking that about some of Ray Sachs's Df photographs years ago - and, Matero, I continue thinking it looking at a number of the photographs you are and have been producing with yours, lately. Of course, as we all know, the photographer's eye and/or vision is generally more important than the tools at their disposal - but it's nice seeing the machine behind some of your images :)

Df is somehow special. It produces pictures of its own kind. However Adobe Lightroom is part of the process, as well. So there's multiple variables affecting to the image.
Df is still special, many users appreciate the look of the pictures and not to forget it gives the joy of ownership. And it can be a bit quirky to setup and use, but still I think it's a marvel and very practical enabling use of old Nikkor glass as well as modern autofocus glass.

Speaking of which, 105mm DC Nikkor is one special glass. I'm really glad I read about it and had opportunity to buy it. It's one of my favourite lenses for sure. But requires a bit practice to start getting pictures you control, not the lens 😂

I've had a bit of a gear situation arise, so I'm going to have to switch to a different camera/lens combination starting today. I don't like changing horses in the middle of the stream, but I'll try to keep things as similar as I can from what's in my gear locker. No other digital Leicas to choose, but from today on I'll shoot with an X-Pro2 and a Meike 35mm f/1.4 manual-focus X-mount lens.

I've had a bit of a gear situation arise, so I'm going to have to switch to a different camera/lens combination starting today. I don't like changing horses in the middle of the stream, but I'll try to keep things as similar as I can from what's in my gear locker. No other digital Leicas to choose, but from today on I'll shoot with an X-Pro2 and a Meike 35mm f/1.4 manual-focus X-mount lens.
Speaking as a fellow M10 owner: What happened?

On a different note, I made quite a journey yesterday and came home with pretty little to show for it; some of this was down to my heart no longer being in it after a crazy, navigation-device induced ride over a super-narrow, super-slippery mountain path to my second location (I drive a small electric car, not a 4WD SUV), but mostly, it was down to me not reaching the zone. You know what they say about best-laid plans ...

I'll stick to stuff I know (and can actually control) for the rest of the challenge - if you don't know what you'll find, it's hard to prepare, and very easy to get stumped.

I'm going to take it very easy today.

First, gotta get that car cleaned, though ...

M.

Speaking as a fellow M10 owner: What happened?

On a different note, I made quite a journey yesterday and came home with pretty little to show for it; some of this was down to my heart no longer being in it after a crazy, navigation-device induced ride over a super-narrow, super-slippery mountain path to my second location (I drive a small electric car, not a 4WD SUV), but mostly, it was down to me not reaching the zone. You know what they say about best-laid plans ...

I'll stick to stuff I know (and can actually control) for the rest of the challenge - if you don't know what you'll find, it's hard to prepare, and very easy to get stumped.

I'm going to take it very easy today.

First, gotta get that car cleaned, though ...

M.

Nothing broke or malfunctioned, thankfully! Just an oversight on my part! One of my daughters is also a photographer, and several weeks ago I’d offered to let her use the M10 for an upcoming project of hers - that started yesterday. I completely forgot about that when I decided to use it for SiO. So of course I wanted her to take it, but she now has it and I won’t get it back for a couple weeks.

Sounds like you had quite the adventure, glad to hear you made it home safely, even if without the photos you wanted.

OK, here's an odd thing. I have this huge monitor now and the Fuji Jpegs just look glorious. I was kind of expecting to the see more of the "idiosyncrasies" of the the X-Trans sensor and the X-Processor Pro but it all just flowed together. The Sony Raws also look better but for a totally different reason. Stunning detail (42 MP) and sharpness, the very definition of clinical perfection. I may make them compete for the wallpaper shot.

I've been battling with healing a sprained foot. But fortunately there's enough material to work with at my home. And shooting indoors in a smaller house has been great practice shooting tight with the 90.
I am so amused at the idea of you in the middle of a photo challenge, hobbled and trapped indoors, with a 90. Big degree of difficulty bump for you.

For the record: I was very wary about my setup - because it appears unsensibly bulky for a "Single in" challenge. But the Z MC 105mm f/2.8 S is such a rewarding lens that I'm very happy about my choice; furthermore, the lens balances superbly well on the Z 7 II - better than the quite portable Z 24-200mm f/4-6.3 (I used both lenses alongside each other today, it's not just an impression!). I don't know what kind of secret sauce Nikon put into this lens, but it's an absolute gem. Yes, it's long for an everyday pick, but that's about it for downsides.

On a different note, I had quite a dangerous day - almost got run over by a guy daydreaming in a car, almost got hit by a biker unwilling to use his brain and brakes, almost took a tumble after a misstep. That's three times lucky on a 13th - if that's not enough to debunk any kind of superstition, I don't know what will ;)

M.

Last edited:
For this SiO 2021 I simply go with the flow, I don't force myself to fit a photography outing in my day when I have other things to do, want to do nothing or indulge in other hobbies. So I already built up a stash of safety shots for this challenge :).

So far I'm happy with putting the Zeiss Loxia 2.4/25 up for this task. Already before this challenge it invited me to shoot, the results are punchy and sharp and the field of view pleases me tremendously, especially with the 4:3 aspect ratio while composing a shot; in post I check if a picture improves by cropping differently, it gives me some headroom right and left of the frame. I've been frustrated that I didn't have a native 28mm for Sony FF but that is over now.

I've been exceptionally busy so far during this challenge, resulting in what are a majority safety shots to be honest. Being shorthanded at work means I am typically there Mon-Fri from 8:30 AM to 5:45 PM with no real breaks beyond quick runs for food, etc. Now that the days are finally getting shorter, this leaves less daylight for photos at the end. Also, I've gotten the (possibly daft) idea that, during this ongoing monotony of covid times, I should actually finish my associate's degree that I started a decade ago, before working multiple jobs and other pressures forced me to put it on ice long-term, with exactly half the credits needed to graduate. So, fall term I reenrolled at my local community college and have been taking a couple of science classes (total of 8 credits) which are pretty time-intensive. Lots of my evening time is wrapped up in homework, for the first time in many years!

On the other hand, I have the opportunity to challenge some courses for credit, which will both accelerate my progress and reduce the cost. There are a couple of digital photography courses taught at this college, and the instructor has been very open to my challenging them, so in the next few weeks I plan on producing a few portfolios for class projects. I'm really looking forward to this, and grateful that the instructor has been so open to it. Projects range from still lifes, portraits and action shots to landscapes and a photo essay.

It has proven a little hard, just with the amount of my time that's currently tied up, to bring the EM5ii every day somewhere along the way to produce a photo. I did get a shipping notice for a GRIIIx, and I may use that instead of the EM5ii and the 20mm solely for the ease of carry (that is, when I decide if I'm going to keep it and feel safe carrying it out and about). Just in terms of portability that would help me be able to take slightly more interesting shots.

With a new lens in the house it's hard for my inner gear ho bag not to change my lineup. But I've already done that once this challenge. So I'm shooting with said lens some after my challenge shots. And it's not like I can move around much at the moment to put it to great use.

I’m trying to just keep my dignity during this challenge. 😋 Fortunately, the X-T30 and 27 are small and capable. I can switch pretty easily between this more retro control scheme and the DSLR-ish one on the X-S10. Fuji just makes nice cameras. I can feel a kind of similar vibe with my previous favorite brands, Pentax and Olympus.

Back