Single In Single in October (SiO) 2021: It's coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately this time I am working out of town for three of the weeks in October. There may not be much chance for serious photography.
Could use something really small. Currently that would be the EP-5/20mm or the Coolpix A. Have to think this through a bit more.
One other option would be the my old Canon S100. It still works but that small sensor could be a problem. I might have do some night and low light images.
This may be a last minute decision.

I've seen quite a few fine images made with the Canon S100. Its most grave flaw might be that it isn't the best a truly high ISO's, but apart from that, it always was a sweet and very capable little compact. Obviously the Coolpix A is in a different league. But I could see both of those giving interesting possibilities for this Challenge.

And regardless of how it pans out, good luck with your out-of-town professional assignments. Travel can be fun but it can also be tiring as well. But even your "non-serious" photographs would be great to see.

I've seen quite a few fine images made with the Canon S100. Its most grave flaw might be that it isn't the best a truly high ISO's, but apart from that, it always was a sweet and very capable little compact. Obviously the Coolpix A is in a different league. But I could see both of those giving interesting possibilities for this Challenge.

And regardless of how it pans out, good luck with your out-of-town professional assignments. Travel can be fun but it can also be tiring as well. But even your "non-serious" photographs would be great to see.
I appreciate the thoughts Miguel. This will be only my second out of town business trip since the pandemic began, so nervous about it being such an extended engagement. I suspect many of my images for this challenge may be spur of the moment AKA ‘safety shot’.
On the positive side, I could see the photography being a great distraction from stress🙂. Thanks for the encouraging words.

Thinking about it. Committed to doing Octoberfest on another site, with X100F and X-H1 + 90/2. Not sure if I can safely commit to one image a day with just the one lens - for me the last one with the 90/2 was a real struggle to get a month of mundane images. Plus, I may have some medical stuff that'll interrupt the month, not sure yet.
I'm thinking about the X-E3 with 90mm f/2 ... tele indeed, and a wonderful lens. That said, the Z 50 with Z 85mm f/1.8 would do nicely for the same kind of shots and be easier to carry (not only because the lens is slightly smaller, but also because of the great grip on the Z 50).

Gordon, if you carry the X100F anyway, you're more than ready for a "Single in" - it's an ideal camera for that kind of stuff, and it can go almost everywhere with you ...

M.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about the X-E3 with 90mm f/2 ... tele indeed, and a wonderful lens. That said, the Z 50 with Z 85mm f/1.8 would do nicely for the same kind of shots and be easier to carry (not only because the lens is slightly smaller, but also because of the great grip on the Z 50).

Gordon, if you carry the X100F anyway, you're more than ready for a "Single in" - it's an ideal camera for that kind of stuff, and it can go almost everywhere with you ...

M.

The 90 is a wonderful lens, albeit a little heavy. You're right about the portability of the F. My (main) problem is I'm not that creative, and don't really have that "photographer's eye". A month with one lens truly is a challenge for me, and a good portion of the images tend to be mundane at best IMHO.

Although, thinking about the F and portability... if some of the medical stuff lands in October instead of November/ December, it will be much easier to try and complete the month with the F.

I'll think about this for a little bit. Might also impact what I do elsewhere for Octoberfest.

The 90 is a wonderful lens, albeit a little heavy. You're right about the portability of the F. My (main) problem is I'm not that creative, and don't really have that "photographer's eye". A month with one lens truly is a challenge for me, and a good portion of the images tend to be mundane at best IMHO.

Although, thinking about the F and portability... if some of the medical stuff lands in October instead of November/ December, it will be much easier to try and complete the month with the F.

I'll think about this for a little bit. Might also impact what I do elsewhere for Octoberfest.
Take your time, Gordon - we'll see, and absolutely no hard feelings anyway.

Interestingly, just telling you about it again made me think a bit clearer - my combo's now settled. The key thing: This time around, it'll be October - I have to pick a weather-sealed combo at this time of year, so while the 90mm f/2 would qualify, the X-E3 doesn't. Autumn is very wet in these parts.

I'll shoot the Z6 with the Z 85mm f/1.8 S - again, not the Z 50, sealing's not as good as on the FX bodies. Since I carry a bag anyway, the size isn't that much of a problem - and the combo handles wonderfully as well as works reliably. The lens is everything I could want: sharp, fast, with great rendering. This will be fun.

I reserve the right to carry a second camera for the "Today" challenge, though - so that one might get a couple of fresh angles as well (like a bit of fish-eye galore - but I could also postpone that for another "Single in" next year).

M.

SE Arizona in October, not a huge weather month here. I figure if I do this, any weather days will be time to spend shooting inside. Or maybe from the car window. Or an umbrella. Which I do not have right now. :hiding:

SE Arizona in October, not a huge weather month here. I figure if I do this, any weather days will be time to spend shooting inside. Or maybe from the car window. Or an umbrella. Which I do not have right now. :hiding:
Funny thing, but: I don't think I own an umbrella either - it's jackets and hats all the way for me ... ;)

EDIT: Went looking ... just found it (my only umbrella). Okay, maybe I should use it at least once ...

M.

Funny thing, but: I don't think I own an umbrella either - it's jackets and hats all the way for me ... ;)

EDIT: Went looking ... just found it (my only umbrella). Okay, maybe I should use it at least once ...

M.

Yeah, it's always been jackets and hats for me as well. I might think about one, could open some shooting possibilities I wouldn't otherwise attempt.

First change of mind - I’ve now decided to use the manual focus Nikon Pancake 50mm AI-S. Pretty sure I haven’t used it in over 18 months so it’s time to rectify that.
Sorry that I have to ask, but: What camera are you planning to use it on?

On a different, more personal note: It's strange how the human mind works sometimes; yesterday, I really was unsure about about what to do, today, my mind's fizzing with intriguing options. I could "graduate" to the Z 105mm f/2.8 MC VR. What say you (whoever - this is not directed at Ray alone)? ;)

M.

Sorry that I have to ask, but: What camera are you planning to use it on?

On a different, more personal note: It's strange how the human mind works sometimes; yesterday, I really was unsure about about what to do, today, my mind's fizzing with intriguing options. I could "graduate" to the Z 105mm f/2.8 MC VR. What say you (whoever - this is not directed at Ray alone)? ;)

M.
I don't know for sure what camera yet; I might be getting a body to use for adapted lenses before the end of this month. If that doesn't happen, the fallback will be the Nikon D800E.

I'd say macro lenses are perfect for the challenge and for that matter any covid lockdown, as they have the capability of generating images of pretty much anything seemingly mundane at home (ie, a stray key/ side of a fork/ etc) which can be so striking as to put in a fame and hung up. Plus macro lenses despite their name are generally very good lenses to be used for a variety of purposes, not just macro, I mean, have you ever come across a "bad" macro lens? One may better than the other, but they're all generally good right? But what about the F2.8 speed of these lenses when the light's not good? Well then you'll have to use a flash which would probably result in an even more striking image. So for the challenge I'd say yes!

I agree with Ray about you using the 105mm macro. That lens can open up a lot of options for both subject and composition.
... which might make it look a bit like a slam dunk ;)

But of course, you and Ray both are right, it's a great lens for such a challenge.

I'll have to carry a bigger bag whatever choice I make anyway ...

The 105mm it is, then.

M.

ZFC_0343.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Oops!

:D

M.

P.S. I'll do this regardless, it's not as if I didn't have other bags; it'll definitely be a new experience; and truth be told, the combo handles really quite nicely ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back