Single In Single in September (SiS) 2023 - discussion

Gak! I just discovered the eyepiece of my SiS camera is missing. It must have come unscrewed while I was shooting today, as it's not in the camera bag or in my car. I guess it's the same DK-17 eyepiece as I have on other older DSLR's, but I no longer keep spares of these around and now I'll be down one. I'll order a couple tomorrow I suppose, as I find myself to be rather OCD about such things (I mean, now a decade-long dustbowl will certainly start tomorrow). I'll also retrace my steps from when I had the camera out today, to see if I can find the one I lost.

UPDATE: Found it! On the ground next to a path I walked yesterday.

Last edited:
Gak! I just discovered the eyepiece of my SiS camera is missing. It must have come unscrewed while I was shooting today, as it's not in the camera bag or in my car. I guess it's the same DK-17 eyepiece as I have on other older DSLR's, but I no longer keep spares of these around and now I'll be down one. I'll order a couple tomorrow I suppose, as I find myself to be rather OCD about such things (I mean, now a decade-long dustbowl will certainly start tomorrow). I'll also retrace my steps from when I had the camera out today, to see if I can find the one I lost.

I hate losing stuff like that. Hope you find it.

UPDATE: It's too early to feel as mad with myself as I'm probably going to become, but ... In short, I found out it was something on the sensor. I tried to remove it with different blowers and brushes - no joy. I then tried the wet swap. And it looks as if I have scratched the surface of the sensor. I'll find out tomorrow. This may end up in a major repair - due to my own lack of dexterity 🤬
Matt - so sorry to read this. I swore I scratched a sensor during a wet swab once, and it turned out to just be a smear. Hopefully you find the same - fingers crossed.

That said, have you ever tried the Pentax gel stick cleaner? It's sort of like a 'gummi-bear on a stick' and you blot-and-roll the dust off. I've mostly switched to this for things a blower won't clear, and recommend it!

Anyway, good luck!

Matt - so sorry to read this. I swore I scratched a sensor during a wet swab once, and it turned out to just be a smear. Hopefully you find the same - fingers crossed.

That said, have you ever tried the Pentax gel stick cleaner? It's sort of like a 'gummi-bear on a stick' and you blot-and-roll the dust off. I've mostly switched to this for things a blower won't clear, and recommend it!

Anyway, good luck!
You know, most of it looks like a smear. I'll look into that gel stick - sounds very helpful, but it seems I'll have to track it down, it's not commonly sold around here.

M.

You know, most of it looks like a smear. I'll look into that gel stick - sounds very helpful, but it seems I'll have to track it down, it's not commonly sold around here.

M.
Well, I seem to have dodged the bullet ... No major problems with today's shots so far; I even seem to have got rid of the spot. Still, the traces on the sensor look ugly, and while I indeed couldn't order the Pentax cleaning kit or gel stick here, I've ordered a number of cleaning tools, a gel stick among them. We'll see what comes next - for now, I can just keep on shooting. Yay!

M.

Last edited:
I need to use the HD 31mm Limited lens closer to wide open, I think. The shots I've taken so far (inside and outside of the challenge) with this lens don't jump out as having pronounced character; just a terrifically sharp moderate wide angle with really good colors. I know the lens is suppose to be a lot more interesting wide open. Will have to use it that way more this month.

This is turning out to be harder than I thought but, at the same time, very rewarding. With my job it's quite difficult to make sure I get a good shot for the day but when I manage I feel great. I'm bummed that I've missed two days but also proud that I've made it 4 days. Hopefully my average continues to improve.
It’s a fairly flexible kind of commitment and it is surprisingly fun.

Technical question:

Let's say, purely hypothetically, that on a given day you use the lens you've stated that you're using. But you add an extension tube. Have you cheated?

Asking for a friend.
For the sake of sticking to the character of the challenge, I'd try to stick to the chosen combo pure and simple. Doing this isn't exactly bending or breaking the rules, but it's definitely watering down the key concept: restricting the options. What I'd do: Carry and use the extension tube, use it - but also use the camera without it to have an image or three to choose from for the challenge. I often carry a second camera during these challenges to be able to cover for more opportunities; interestingly, this time around, I haven't felt the need so much ...

This is turning out to be harder than I thought but, at the same time, very rewarding. With my job it's quite difficult to make sure I get a good shot for the day but when I manage I feel great. I'm bummed that I've missed two days but also proud that I've made it 4 days. Hopefully my average continues to improve.
There's such a concept as a "safety" shot - i.e. an early or last-minute shot you take at home of whatever is available, doing your best to make it look interesting. Just saying. Missing a day is often avoidable this way - but if the situation doesn't allow for shooting on a specific day, no problem; after all, life happens. However, completing the whole month is, again, pretty much the purpose of the whole thing.

Making it work is what makes such a challenge worthwhile - needing to find ways and opportunities to shoot is difficult and hard at times, so overcoming the obstacles is the main thing. It helps to carry the chosen setup at all times or at least have it close by. To some of us, this has basically become second nature (over 1250 days of continuos daily shooting ...).

M.

I visited Heart Mountain WWII Japanese American Confinement Site today near Cody, Wyoming where more than 14,000 people were unjustly incarcerated during the second world war. Most of the photographs I took there were of displayed photographs so not mine to share in the challenge but damn that place, the photographs and stories were moving.

Then:
P9064912-01.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Now:
P9064943-01.jpeg

P9064926-01.jpeg
P9064920-01.jpeg

The visitor centre was really interesting and you are free to walk around the trails to see the old buildings that are still standing. Well worth a visit if you are in the area.

I am going to have to bow out of the challenge for at least a week. My mom passed away this morning shortly after 10AM, as a result of a series of increasingly more severe medical issues that began last Christmas Eve with a heart attack that left her with about 15% cardiac function. She fought back time and again, but every time it seemed she was getting over a hump, something else slammed her backward. As recently as yesterday she was sitting up in bed and talking to us. I just can't be bothered with hobby activities right now.
So sorry for your loss Tony. Condolences to you and your family.

Back