SiO 2018 - Day Eighteen.

bilzmale

Hall of Famer
Name
Bill Shinnick
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”
Steven Wright

“Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7 of your life.”
Steven Wright

“Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.”
Steven Wright

Cold and windy today so this one from end of driveway. Single shot HDR in Aurora.

DSCF0300AurSqr copy1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This morning I made the bus journey into town armed not with a shopping bag but with my camera. I have to admit that street photography is not my forte and I was feeling very much out of my comfort zone and thus rather bereft of inspiration. Luckily I came across an acquaintance of mine by the name of Laurence who was digging over a plot of waste land behind his cottage with the aim of planting it up and bringing some colour to the area next year. His first reaction was that I'd come to stop him working but I explained I'd like him to continue working if he'd let me take a few photographs as he did so. We continued to chat as I took a few shots, this being one of them.

This time the conversion to monochrome in RawTherapee was carried out using the channel mixer control with finishing touches added once again in GIMP using what are becoming my two favourite tools, shadows/highlights and brightness/contrast.

181018-1030522.jpg

Hard at work

This is perhaps as close as I can come to emulating one of my favourite photographers, James Ravilious. If I photograph people, rare for me, I much prefer to have them set in a work type situation rather than in some anonymous street scene, just another of my personal quirks.

Barrie

Scan ate my shadows - that's why I post the Google PhotoScan version as a sort of comment *as well*. As usual, the PhotoScan image isn't good enough - but you see that there's more going on.
IMAG0115_klein_alt.JPG

1539881578688_klein.jpg

I seem to have been unable to avoid dust as well today - oh well. Anyway, this was my second attempt at this spot, and this time, I like the result (at least as it is on the print).

M.

Back