SiO 2018 - Day Sixteen.

Shot RAW and converted without adjustment in On1. Essentially sooc.

DSCF0280.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I've not adopted a particular theme and stuck to it, however there is a recurring element to some of my images and that is autumn and the melancholy of autumn. That's certainly how I experience the season.

181016-1030503.jpg

Teasel Head

This image has been cropped top and bottom from the original 4:3 format to a square format, the width being as the original. I think I made a framing error on the original by cutting off the tip of the extreme right hand "tendril" of the teasel which ends outside the frame. I should have used the rear screen to frame rather than the viewfinder. I also think it would have been better if the main stem had entered the picture in the lower left hand corner of the frame.

The conversion to monochrome was carried out in RawTherapee using Fuji Acros + R with a reduction in contrast to bring more gradation of tone to the head of the teasel. This was further advanced in GIMP using the shadows/highlights and brightness/contrast controls.

The bokeh of the lens is a little rough, a smoother background would have been desirable but difficult to achieve in post processing.

Barrie

A bit of street photography curtesy of the RF70 - it's amazing how well people put up with that camera; the shutter *is* super quiet, but even so, one would expect them to be spooked by the huge box. Not so, apparently ...

IMAG0104_klein.jpg

1/250", f/22, no ND (hand-scanned - hence, a bit more contrasty than the original).

Once more, the image came out a touch lighter than I'd hoped - but given that I have no half-stops at my disposal, I'm pretty satisfied.

M.

Took a few around my 2.5 mile walk around the campus perimeter. Meh. Headed home, dealing with nutty drivers and then we stop, 3 minutes from the house - a big fender bender at a bad intersection. Put on the brakes - I've gotten into the habit of wearing my camera bag slung on me when I'm driving - easy access, probably not a smart idea safety wise, but the things we do for photography. The sun drops *just right* - and there you go. Hope Stone Mill beautifully front lit. In the right circumstances, the X30 is holding her end up just fine.

SiOCT-2018-041-Edit-LREdit.jpg

My first full travel day of October really turned out to be my hardest day so far this month. With over 6 hours on planes and in airports opportunities were indeed scarce. My attempts came up with results varying from mostly to absolute fails. Finally a late dinner at a great fusion spot this image of the conversation.
PA160018.jpg

Back