SiO 2018 - mid-month reflections: How's it going?

Name
Matt
Traditionally, after having reached the half-way point, we start discussing and reflecting on the current challenge, personally as well as conceputally. Please feel free to add your thoughts and observations.

It might have been a good idea to have such a "venting" thread from the beginning - it seems to be a bit tough for people who haven't participated in recent "Single in" challenges (or haven't done so regularily, for their own good reasons) to come to grips with how the whole thing is organised. Actually, the current framework has developed over the last couple of SiJ ("Single in January") events in order to concentrate on the daily images; this has led to less verbose and more one-way communication in the image threads that isn't everyone's cup of tea. On the other hand, it's simple and straightforward for all participants to post and view images and leave a short sign of appreciation and approval. We can try other, older (or new) recipes at another time, however, I'd strongly suggest sticking with the current format this time around.

I've mostly enjoyed shooting with the very peculiar camera I chose personally, but I'd neither recommend something similar to anyone else nor do it again - it can be rather stressful to have to get it right in very few shots - and photography on Fuji Instax film with the RF70 is *all* about getting it right; why choose that camera otherwise anyway. Additionally, it's not easy to get to an acceptable quality for the digital image. Still, it's lots of fun, and I love some of the results - it makes me more happy with the acquistion of the camera than I ever dared hope to be (well, I *did* hope it would work out, but was quite rattled by mixed reviews before I got my hands on my own camera).

As always, I enjoy looking at everyone else's work - it's really wonderful to come online to see different takes on the "chore" of daily shooting and posting, and we've seen impressive images so far, and ever more so. I'm looking forward to the rest of the month in all respects.

M.

I remain the challenge, to limit you to a camera, difficult but also very instructive. The times that I participated was for me again and again learning moments of body and lens. In January I decided on a subject, crosses, with (I think) super nice end result. Now I have limited myself again, the 18-55 mm I let stand at 18 mm and my photos must include trees and creations of man (roads, buildings entc). The light is now very different as in January and we have been lucky with the beautiful weather in recent weeks. On to the next 14 (+1) days :).

I also want to say that every day I look forward to the rest of the photos full of excitement. I also try to look at the previous days every day in case something new is added. There are such beautiful pictures posted and I find it very special to be allowed to watch a month with others looking at images that cross their path.

Hanneke (y)

I’ve found it to be a lot easier this go around due to using a zoom. So I’ve been limiting myself to SOOC jpgs, no post work, all done in acros. And trying to get my shots in the same natural light. There have been a few days where I didn’t feel very well. But still managed to waddle out and grab a shot. Looking forward to the rest of the month.

This is the Hump Week. :) Gotta get over it and the rest slides into place. It's been tough. Overall, I'm glad I chose the X30. I did 3500 paces during my break yesterday; semi-humid conditions, overcast and drizzling. I was able to get that Bocce shot to the end of the walk around campus, but I couldn't imagine doing it with anything bigger. I was already a sweaty mess walking back into the building.

Looking forward to finishing this month strong (fingers and toes crossed).

So far so good. I was really apprehensive about the manual focus lens I chose, but we seem to be getting along so far. I'm glad I participated this time as I haven't been going out with the camera recently. My photos aren't that good compared to others', but it keeps me inspired ;) I think the good part of the challenge is knowing the choices you made to begin with and the handicap they may bring - in may case, me as the photographer being my biggest handicap :)

Aside from a run of bad weather, things have been going well. I believe I have perhaps overdone the fall foliage availability "thing" a bit but still feel pretty good with what I have made for images so far. The R-D1s and Voigtlander Nokton 35mm f1.4 "Classic" SC, (single coat), have worked out very well with ERF raw files processed in Lightroom "Classic".
I have attempted to concentrate on composition with this challenge while acknowledging the R-D1s' image writing uniqunesses. I am a big believer in the old Adams saying regarding the negative being the equivalent of the score and the performance being the print and attempt to think that way when making an image and also when processing what I bring back from the field.
So, at this midpoint I'm feeling good about the images gathered and processed thus far. And, unlike challenges in January in northeastern Vermont, I'm not concentrating on avoiding landing on my backside from a tumble on the ice. Last year I dropped my X-Pro1 based on slipping.
Best of luck to all continuing on through the end of the month.
. . . David

Finding time for photography has been the hard part this time, what with moving house in the first week of October. But I’ve enjoyed getting to grips with the LX100 again. Not that I have much choice, all my other gear is still in a box waiting for me to get my hobby room set up. I think there hsve been some great photos this time round, and the autumn theme makes a change from SiJs past. With luck I may start getting out and about a bit more soon and expand the range of topics.

Had a few misgivings about starting this one due to limited opportunities to get out beyond the village at the moment but the weather has been good on the free days I've had so I've been able to use my cycle to get about. Even on the other days something has always turned up, just need to be observant and alert. Feel much more confident now we have passed halfway, just need the weather to hold up.
It's always interesting to see what others have posted, many in more difficult circumstances than mine. It's also nice to see photos taken in different seasons than we've had before. I feel the move to a 9 month cycle was a good one.

After few days I thought I would bore you to death with my church theme. At least I felt so. But then nice feedback from @marlof kept me going. I’ve found it easier in the pressure of work and normal routines to hang in the challenge when I got theme to follow.

What I’ve learned is that I really miss the prime objectives. I’m not the zoom shooter. However E-M5 II with 12-40 weather sealed is going to be good combo for winter and rain. But still...

I’ve also learned that making an interesting picture out of building like church is not that easy. And I’ve also noticed how much churches are connected to our lives here in Finland. Actually, I’m not that religious at all :D

And it’s a privilege to follow you fellow photographers trough this challenge. Keep up the good work!

Doing okay this time.

I like putting in the daily effort, and am happy with my chosen gear (GX9 and 20; a powerful but small package).

I am happy that I’ve chosen an easy theme: outdoors, prominent sky, an earthbound object without showing the earth itself. This does limit the composition possibilities, but I’m hoping the resulting collage will make up for that.

I am also glad that I’ve chosen a mobile workflow, using RAW, Lightroom CC on iOS and Smugmug for creating the bbcoded links. The older I get, the less time I want to spend behind my computer.

I like seeing the other results, and appreciate all the efforts put in. I especially like those who put in the effort to getting us some background information (like Matero and Barrie). I wish I had the energy to do that, but have decided that next time I’ll pick a theme forcing me to do so.

I'm doing better than I thought I might, but the 16/1.4 is a very versatile lens. I think I might have been more challenged if I'd picked the 56/1.2. Changing camera body mid-way proved a challenge, but that was more to do with software than anything else, and I'm enjoying learning the new camera as I go.

I like that I don't have to comment on each picture each day, but I would like us to have a retrospective at the end (as has been suggested elsewhere) where we each pick our favourite pictures from the month and have a chance to discuss them.

I’ve found that the January challenges have always forced me to be more creative. Offering little time, little daylight and little choice but with more interesting results because I’ve had to work for each image. Not saying they were all good but they were compelling enough for me to want to look back over them after the challenges were done. Not feeling it this time. October with it’s blue skies, warm weather and beautiful coloured leaves is kind of leaving me cold. Perhaps because I didn’t settle on a particular theme. :confused-95:

I am enjoying seeing other’s folks work but missing the banter.

It’s a game of two halves ... still in it! :sleep:

I'm enjoying this time around more than I expected. The discipline of no zoom is making me think more about each shot. As I've mentioned, mood and mobility are my challenges but I've got out into my street and am still finding new things to 'see' and photograph. I've kept my interest up by taking a lot of ground-level shots and exploring my passion for panos and HDR. I've also explored post-processing options with a range of software including newly purchased Affinity Photo and Aurora 2019 and free Capture One for Fuji all new to me this October.

Finally, I've found a keeper in the X100T having tried over the years an original X100, two GRD iiis, a DP2M and a GR in fixed lens configurations. Might be tempted by an RX1?

I come to this site with anticipation to view the new images from fellow contributors visiting multiple times a day.

This is my first one and choosing a telephoto-ish macro lens has proven to be an interesting choice for me. It definitely forces me into an unfamiliar mindset and I don't have it figured out at all. The majority of my ideas don't work and I end up backing up and finding something in my house to photograph. The weather hasn't been cooperating much either.

Additionally, I have been using this opportunity to learn a new post-processing tool which is very different from what I am used to. PP is definitely an area where familiarity with the tool makes a big difference.

I haven't yet submitted any images that I am truly excited about yet but I have continued to learn things throughout these two weeks. This means that, so far, I am getting what I wanted to out of the experience.

Back