SiO 2018 - Outtakes/Behind the Scenes

Took this while sheltering from the rain. Quite like the different shades against the grey sky.
IMG_2358.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Love these - very abstract, yet still not without precise connotations ...

M.

Thanks Matt, I love the light play of this concrete slab monstrosity in the early morning and late afternoon. It’s the entrance/upper level of a dam intake tower. In other words, the gatehouse to seven levels of humid, snake and bat infested hell. :D

Luckily I don’t have to make the descent very often...

This is another image from the few I took on the 18th of Laurence digging over the waste ground behind his cottage. For this one I did little in RawTherapee other than apply tone mapping with some adjustment of highlights and the black point. The image was resized and post resizing sharpening applied. It was then sent to GIMP where I used colours>desaturate>mono mixer to make a monochrome image. I found that after applying the same red, green and blue channel settings as applied in RawTherapee to the image posted in day 18 that the result was rather "muddier" such that considerably more adjustment of brightness and contrast was required to bring the image to something I felt acceptable. The large white area in the background made the image rather more difficult to process and was indeed overexposed in the raw file. The image is uncropped and might have been better had I been rather closer, or zoomed in rather more to my central subject, hence cutting out some of the foreground.

181018-1030519.jpg

Barrie

I actually like some elements of this shot better than the one I chose for today's post - but the background is to blown out for my taste, and there are actually some traces of chromatic abberations visible in the branches in the upper right portion. But the way the highlights stand out appeal very much to me. As once before, I would have been happy to use either shot. But the calmer, more controlled one made the cut.
2018-10-20-0002_klein.jpg

1/125", f/8

M.

If nothing else this challenge has really brought home how frustrating life can be for those without decent internet.
I am currently helping a friend with a house refurbishment in the Outer Hebrides. No phone line in yet so no WiFi. I’m relying on my networks 3 sometimes 4G signal. It’s intermittent. Like 1 minute on 3 minutes off, and so on. Unless it’s off for 4 hours ! Writing text is ok because I can do that off line. But uploading photos is a right royal pita !
Oh, did I mention to even get a signal I either hold the phone as high in the window of the bathroom in the north facing gable, or risk it outside (but still holding phone high) getting battered by high wind and rain.
It is lovely here though. Even in the bleak autumn light.

Even if getting any building materials is a logistical nightmare. Have you ever tried carrying 8x4 plasterboard (drywall) in 40 mph wind ! Hopefully I will get at least one day this trip. Of good weather. To get Tara onto one of North Uist’s beautiful beaches.
Phone line is in and internet on the 22nd I’ve been told.
Would I like to live here ? They reckon, if you can stand a winter here you possibly could. I’ve been here a week and I think I’m getting used to the constant wind . But that might be my change of diet.
My GR got a little wet yesterday, today it’s like the network signal. Sometimes working sometimes not !
I wonder if there is a camera repair shop on island ?
I bought my Fuji with the 16. So at least if the GR does die I won’t go mad with withdrawal. I’d hate to be left with just a phone camera. However good they may be.
Now to raise my phone on high and post reply
Still waiting for signal to kick in
Come on ! My arms aching

Back