Fuji Sistine Chapel to Tuscany, what would be your 2 lens line up?

ssobers

Traveling to Italy in a few weeks. Will spend a few days in Rome, Florence and Tuscany.

What will I bring? Packing the X-T1, a handful of batteries, but want to pack light with only two lens. Currently own the 35mm 1.4, 56mm 1.2, and looking to rent a lens, something wider, to capture the architecture and landscapes. There are plenty of choices with the Fuji 10-24mm, 14mm, 16mm and Rokinon 12mm.

What would be your two lens?
Also, what filters (if any) would you bring to highlight the dramatic sky?

Having been to Rome, and having only recently come back from Florence and Pisa, if I was going again tomorrow I would go for the 14 and the 18-135; you need the width of one and the flexibility and length of the other. I would also take the 35 - speed is always welcome.

16 & 56. Rome, Florence, Siena - interiors - go for speed without a tripod. Both are fantastic landscape lenses. If you want a small lens for street and grab and go, throw that 35 in. I'd go for speed over zoom capability every time. You have the two already, the 16 complements nicely. If you don't mind the lack of camera connection, the 12 is lovely. Fast and sharp, zone focus is excellent. Downside is it's too wide for most people. I've got all those lenses, use them, so know them. I don't have zooms, but ymmv. Enjoy Tuscany, it's probably my favourite part of the world.

Btw, there is no photography allowed in the Sistine chapel, with security on hand.

True - I did find it really hard to hold my camera at arms length, down by my thigh and shoot upwards just guessing. I'm delighted with the outcome though including that awesome 'finger to finger' between God and man.

16 and the 35, if we're still voting. You can reasonably walk around with either of them on, the 16 gets wide enough and gives 2 stops more light over the 14, and the 35 will bokeh or single people out if need be. I say give up on even portrait length and go 16 + 35.

Back