Feedback Site changes, again

For sure, the Showcase threads will retain their prefix on their new site. So there will be a designated thread for every lens. Subforums are to be determined. I'm thinking that everything will have to be merged in one lump and then divided from there, but I'm trying to figure that out right now.

I'm also trying to hire a developer to create an addon that optionally shows EXIF information in an overlay for all images that have associated EXIF on the entire site. So far no takers, but I'm searching.

So there will be one forum each for the various categories (e.g. Landscape, B&W), and there will not be separate ones of these for the various camera brands?

That is correct. There may be separate subforums under each brand in the gear section, but that is yet to be determined.

Completely understand and am fine with the change. Little surprised TalkEmount isn't included, it does seem to have more traffic than SC, Fuji, Leica, and film. But it still seems to be well below MU-43 and the Cafe just from what I see with the "unread" counts. I can also see these groups together, there's not as much cross competition as there might be if one of the other main formats were included. And where they do compete seems mainly already here in the SC group.

I will say I would like a bit more structure in the forums area, just a list of brands and then no groupings under that? Is that just an in process view?

I wouldn't mind Cameraderie.org except Cameraderie.com gets you redirected to baicapture.com, which is a photo booth company. You may get people looking for the forum and going there instead since so many don't pay attention to the extension. They may not bother to find out why they got there and/or may think the site and company are associated.

The "photafficionados" might not be bad, being a part of a group of photafficionados makes me feel like I might even know what I'm talking about..... sometimes.

Last edited:
Hi,
I don’t really like gear oriented forums, causes to much GAS :) I found a forum named Photographers Lounge a while back and really enjoyed that concept. Is that still around? ;)
Actually Jose, that's a very good point. Photographers' Lounge was a very good non-gear-oriented name. I think we are more about photographs than gear (well mostly) so I would be perfectly happy to see its return.

Hi, I don’t really like gear oriented forums, causes to much GAS :) I found a forum named Photographers Lounge a while back and really enjoyed that concept. Is that still around? ;)

I understand the need to consolidate without a problem. The names suggested are all OK with me, but I prefer José suggestion of Photographers Lounge.

I will say I would like a bit more structure in the forums area, just a list of brands and then no groupings under that? Is that just an in process view?

Pre-merge, I think it's just going to be the brands. Post-merge, I may spend few sleepless nights making subforums and moving stuff around, but I don't want to have a bunch of subforums for one or two brands and not for others, because it kind of marginalizes the ones without the subforums...

I too prefer a name like photographers lounge over cameraderie, but that’s just because of my personal dislike of word play. The consolidation does make sense, and I’d keep visiting this site no matter what it’s name would be.

I'm very, very happy that someone brought up Photographer's Lounge again - should have thought about that myself. I would really welcome the return of that name.

But I'm with Marlof, on the whole: I'll frequent whatever forum Amin decides to put together. A non-brand, hopefully image centered approach would appeal greatly to me - not only because of GAS (that's something that fades a bit over time in my experience, anyway), but also because it helps avoid zealotry - which is the one thing that has almost caused me to end my membership on mu-43.com a couple of times.

As an eclectic guy, I'm always angered and put off by useless (and often senseless) dispute over what's better, what's best and what's the devil's own invention - it's about the images (for me), and even if mutual technical support and exchange of views are fine, trench warfare certainly isn't (that's what's happening on mu-43.com whenever someone online is perceived to "attack" the system).

As a matter of fact, come to think of it, the way "SeriousCompacts" is structured now could accommodate most of the brand/system centered sites anyway, so certainly no harm done by doing so. "ForeverFilm" is somewhat different because it's more about experimentation and playfulness (we certainly *push* GAS there :)), so more diverse than focused, but it's not as if it was an extremely loud or active place - we'll find our niche (especially since most of us are well aware that we're nutters and niche people anyway ;)).

Oh, and just for the record, one can actually shoot Leica without losing one's head. At least if it's a film Leica :rolleyes:

M.

I was first attracted to Photographer’s Lounge (about photography) when I was searching for a place to share my devotion to small cameras. So, it wasn’t the name that got me here. Serious (about) Compacts aligns the name with my interest but it’s the content that keeps me involved. So, if the name changes and merges occur it’s fine with me as long as I can easily interact with like-minded small camera enthusiasts.

Last edited:
As a wordplay, I like Cameraderie, but from a historical perspective and from the photos-rather-than-gear point of view, Photographers Lounge appeals to me as well. Downside is its length.

Back