Site changes due to GDPR - a work in progress

Amin

Hall of Famer
As some of you may be aware, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) (EU) 2016/679 becomes enforceable on 25 May 2018. GDPR is a regulation in EU law on data protection and privacy which aims to give all EU citizens and residents control over their personal data.

I am doing everything I can do to comply with GDPR. Unfortunately, I am just one person who owns and operates these sites as a hobby, and the GDPR is incredibly complicated and difficult to understand.

In some cases, this will mean a loss of site functionality. For example, I don't know of a way to make our push notifications via OneSignal compliant with the GDPR, and I don't have time to figure it out, so those push notifications will probably be removed from the site altogether.

I'll try to keep this thread updated with any site changes required due to GDPR.

Facebook and Twitter integration have been removed. That means that they cannot be used for login anymore. If you need help accessing your account, please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page.

Facebook and Twitter integration have been removed. That means that they cannot be used for login anymore. If you need help accessing your account, please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page.

One of us at least is happy about that. facebook has been everywhere and I never knew how bad things were until recently... I left there again and will never return.

Yeah, from a privacy pov, less facebook integration is not a bad thing.

I kinda doubt that all that many website owners will put as much effort into being gdpr compliant, but seeing you do so makes me appreciate you and your websites even more, Amin!

Speaking as someone who lives in the UK, GDPR is both a good thing and a monumental PITA. It's good because data stewardship needs to be tightened up. It's a PITA because what it will take to comply is not completely clear to anyone.

PLEASE be patient with and understanding to Amin while he wrestles with this. There really are no quick fixes and he is absolutely doing the right things.

Amin,

I don't think I've been using any of the functionality which has been removed, so I won't miss it.

Do what you need to do to keep the site running and compliant, and many thanks for all your hard work.

-R

I quit Facebook when they demanded my Cell-Phone number, refused to share it with them and asked for my account to be deleted.
Evidently, Facebook collects data on people without accounts when websites are "Facebook enabled", according to Facebook:

Facebook Newsroom on Twitter

Good move disabling these third-party data collectors.

GDPR is going to raise a lot of confusion for most websites, especially the small ones.

Sorry for making everyone accept the Terms and Privacy Policy again.

There were no substantive changes since the last iteration, but the forum software changed how they record consent, and it was needed to comply with the GDPR.

I am trying to avoid mass emails, which are even more annoying IMO.

I am in the process of disabling all email notifications related to this site. That means that no one will get emails for PMs, watched threads, last week's popular topics, etc. Once those changes have been made, I'll update this thread with instructions about how to opt back in to those emails if you wish to do so.

Late to the thread, life accelerated.

I feel your pain. Providing pro bono work to several sites, GDPR is a serious black hole for compliance. It's understandable to turn down/off features until operational reality (and yes, the inevitable lawsuit waves) catch up to reveal the legislation's loopholes/weaknesses/gotchas. Keep up the good work Amin!

Back