Fuji Sitting on a fence

marlof

Trying to focus
Name
Marlof
I'm a member of seriouscompacts and mu-43. As much as the Fuji's appeal to me (my first camera was a Petri rangefinder, and I love the Fuji output) I'm still Fuji-less. My OM-D does a lot of what I want in a camera, and also stuff that a Fuji can't (tele and such). But I'm drawn, especially to the Pro. I fear that I won't be able to resist a Pro that has the quirks ironed out. So here I am, sitting on a fence, ready to jump into the playing field.

Currently I have the 12, 17, 25, 45, 12-50 and soon the 75-300 II (for a trip to South Africa this summer). I love shooting in the 24-90 range (mostly 35 / 50) don't do macro and only a little tele. For those of you with dual mu43 and Fuji systems: what to keep and what to buy when adding a dual Fuji system?

Marlof, keep the 17 and 25mm and 75-300mm for the OMD, sell the rest and get the Fuji with the 35mm as its your FAV FL. I am keeping my mu43 with 14mm p and will enjoy the strengths of each.

Fuji for large prints and IQ and mu43 for speed and traveling light!.

By the way, Welcome to the "Xspot".

Dennis

I ended up keeping two things: the bodies and lenses which maximize on how compact MFTs can be (eg, E-PM2, Pana 14) and the lenses which have no corresponding match in Fujiland (eg, Oly 75, Pana 100-300).

With Fuji I got the 18-55 zoom and 35/1.4, both of which are excellent.

I ended up keeping two things: the bodies and lenses which maximize on how compact MFTs can be (eg, E-PM2, Pana 14) and the lenses which have no corresponding match in Fujiland (eg, Oly 75, Pana 100-300).

With Fuji I got the 18-55 zoom and 35/1.4, both of which are excellent.

That's a really nice set-up Amin.

I did keep a few other MFT things: an IR-converted G2, the sweet little Rokinon fisheye, and the Pana 20 which I will never let go of.

Ones which I sold were the E-M5 and PL25 (both are brilliant but not keeping things as small as I want my MFT to be), the Oly 45 (I always seem to reach for the Oly 75), the Oly 14-150 (wasn't getting used at all).

I seem to be evolving toward mostly Fuji at the wide to neutral part of the focal range and all m43 from portrait range and longer. I have the X-Pro with the 14mm, 18mm, and 35mm and will probably add the 10-24 once its available (and will correspondingly sell the Olympus 9-18). Fuji has a 23mm f1.4 coming late this year or early next (35mm field of view) and I may buy that or I may buy an X100s instead (probably not a huge difference in price). For the OMD, I'll keep a couple of zooms that I rarely use but need on rare occasion. I'll definitely keep the 45 and 75 and 75-300. And I'll almost certainly keep the 12mm because its one of the best all around lenses I own, great for street, and just works for me. I likely won't use it a ton with the wide Fuji options, but the OMD has its own characteristics as a street shooter and I wouldn't want to be without this lens, even though its sort of duplicated in the range. I have the Olympus 9-18, 17 (both versions), and Panasonic that I'll likely sell. Even a chance I'll let the 45 go since I've hardly used it since I got the 75mm.

-Ray

I think you're on the right track, µ4/3 strengths include tele reach, fast focus, and light weight. DEFINITELY keep the 75-300 for the reach, you'll never match it for the price and weight.

If you're a prime lens afficionado I'd give up the 25 for the Fuji 35 to start, and then swap the 17 for the Fuji 23 later this year. You could swap your 12 and 45 for the Fuji 14 and 60 (or Fuji 14 and wait for the 56 next year) if you want to dive deep in the Fuji pool, but those Oly lenses are very good.

If you are a fan of zooms, I suggest the Fuji 18-55 to start (lose the 12-50, and the 17 if it's the f/2.8), and maybe then swap the 25 with the Fuji 35 unless you need the faster autofocus.

I'm a zoom fan and mostly shoot landscapes. I'm keeping:

- µ4/3 kit is 12-50 & 45-175 for hikes, 100-300 for wildlife, 25 for everything else, and the 45 is collecting dust.
- Fuji kit is 18-55 and 14.

Fuji for large prints and IQ and mu43 for speed and traveling light!.

+1 to that!

I meant the 17 1.8. I also have the 2.8, but that's attached to the E-P1 and the combo only does hazard duty (events etc.). I like primes better than zooms when it comes to thoughtful photography, but use zooms for snapshots and occassions where changing lenses can be problematic.

I should have time to think about the things to do, since I'll probably take my jump when an updated version of the Pro is released. But I'll be adding some stuff for my South Africa trip to my current setup, so this is decision time for me: substantially add to the mu43 setup (read: second EM5 and 12-35, next to the telezoom) or add a second system later on and in the meantime only add necessities. And maybe start selling some things that might not get use when the second system is added.

As a previous XPro and XE owner, I'm also waiting for the second gen XPro/XE's. I've been tempted to add an EPL5 as a second body to go along with the OMD. Use the EPL5 for the wides and OMD for normal and tele. Rumor has that the EP3 replacement is just around the corner, and it might have a built in EVF with rangefinder "looks."

I should have time to think about the things to do, since I'll probably take my jump when an updated version of the Pro is released. But I'll be adding some stuff for my South Africa trip to my current setup, so this is decision time for me: substantially add to the mu43 setup (read: second EM5 and 12-35, next to the telezoom) or add a second system later on and in the meantime only add necessities. And maybe start selling some things that might not get use when the second system is added.

Back