Fuji Size comparison: X-Pro1 vs OM-D vs GH2

I'm not one for carrying toasters and telescopes around which is what drew me to M43 in the first place, it's small size.

When considering the X-Pro1 I had to determine how much of a size/weight penalty I was willing to take over my GH2. Turns out, there really isn't any.

Size/weight in mm/grams

GH2
124w x 90h x 76d
444g with card and battery

OM-D E-M5
122w x 87h x 45d
425g with card and battery

X-Pro1
140w x 82h x 46d
450g with card and battery

The GH2 is much thicker thanks to it's manly grip. The X-Pro1 is slightly wider, they are all close in height and weight.

Ah, but what about the lens?

Leica 25mm(50mm)
63w x 55d
200g

Fuji 35mm(53mm)
65w x 55d
187g

Again, pretty darn close.

It's not until you move past 50mm equivalent that you take a size / weight hit with the X-Pro1 thanks to the M43 crop factor.

hth

Good point, I think.... there does seem to be a tipping point, where you may as well go with a larger sensor.

For me, I decided to try out a K-01 with 15mm prime for my landscapes. In comparison to the E-M5 with Oly 12mm, the dimensions are, roughly, the same, with the Pentax being thicker in body (but same overall depth with the lenses) and the E-M5 being a bit taller with the hump. The K-01 setup is 7 ounces heavier, but really, they are roughly the same size... neither are really going in a pocket, but both compact compared to a DSLR.

Still.... the two m4/3 prime lenses discussed are the big-boned primes, much larger than their pancake cousins... if you throw the 20/1.7 on a GX1 or E-M5 even, it is a very compact setup and changes the equation quite a bit. I love what the PL25 does, but it definitely feels big and heavy compared to the other m4/3 primes.

I'm surprised that the Fuji 35mm is lighter than the Leica 25mm. I thought that the 35mm looked bigger when I saw the X-Pro1 in the flesh for the first time, but then the 25mm is quite solid for it's size.

Still.... the two m4/3 prime lenses discussed are the big-boned primes, much larger than their pancake cousins... if you throw the 20/1.7 on a GX1 or E-M5 even, it is a very compact setup and changes the equation quite a bit. I love what the PL25 does, but it definitely feels big and heavy compared to the other m4/3 primes.

Very true, slap the 20mm on a recent PEN, small and light.

A useful comaprison - thanks I consider the overall weight and bulk of these options, and they all are fine with me, especially when compared to most DSLRs.

Thanks, this is an interesting and useful comparison.

I am still considering parting company with my D700 kit (that I use probably 3 times a year) and going for a X-Pro1 kit to use with my X100 and this size/weight comparison adds a valuable plus in the comparison stakes.

Ian, If you need a little encouragement, I recently sold my D700 and some lenses and bought the X-Pro1 and all three lenses. While initially I was worried about giving up that FF sensor, I don't regret the exchange at all. I wanted to make sure I maximized my return on the D700 (prices did drop some after the introduction of the D800) by not hanging onto it too long. I'm still trying to learn the X-Pro1 but can already admire the terrific image quality. To me at least, it really does have a signature look.

Jim

Interesting question, when I get home I should check and see. I am finding the Pro1 while not sport photographer fast, to be very accurate when you pay attention to what it is doing and not try force anything, sort of like passing into double coverage is never a good idea. No matter the light find your contrast spot and it on almost all of the time.

Back