M-Mount Skyllaney 5cm F2 Bertele Sonnar

Leica M-Mount cameras and lenses

Brian

Product of the Fifties
I've had this lens since December 2022, in "terms that I am used to" it is an Operational Development Model, or a prototype. Five of these lenses exist. I'm providing feedback that will go into the Production version of the lens.

This lens is based on the 1934 Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm F2 Sonnar, I've had one from that batch for almost 20 years. Mine is perfect, "luck" finding one with a Filter on it probably since day 1. I've gone through many of these lenses, a very small percentage have perfect glass. The front element, like that of the Summar, Xenon, Summitar, and Summarit is soft- and scratches easily. The 5cm F1.5 Sonnar uses hard glass for the front element, is much easier to find in good condition. That is one factor that went into the choice of basing the new Bertele Sonnar on the 5cm F2.

The new lens is native M-Mount, all-brass construction, multi-coated optics, and uses 39mm filters and hoods rather than the 40.5mm of the original.
RIMG0126.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
RIMG0125.jpg
RIMG0134.jpg

The Bertele next to a first-batch, 100 made, 1932 5cm F1.5 Sonnar. Also a pre-production lens, the optics changed for the production version.
The optics on the Bertele are perfect.

Last edited:
I'll be adding a more pictures to this thread, but starting with New Year's Day 2023.

The "ODM" Bertele Sonnar focuses to 0.8m. The production version will go to 0.7m.

This lens is flare resistant. The older Sonnars will flare-out when pointed into the Sun. Modern coatings give this lens the edge over the original,
L1025973.jpg
L1025974.jpg
L1025978.jpg
L1026014.jpg
L1025985.jpg

First feedback, and one that is the Skyllaney announcement- Optimize the lens for wide-open use.

That's the reason why the aperture index of mine point at the viewfinder. The lens had been optimized for 2/3 stop down. I changed it. The production lenses, as annoucned, will be optimized for wide-open.

L1025515.jpg
L1025516.jpg

L1025522.jpg
L1025523.jpg

Pairs at F2 and F4.

L1025553.jpg

The clarity of the images from this lens just amaze me. Wide-Open.

Bertele Sonnar was in time for Christmas.

L1025811.jpg
L1025812.jpg

I'm thinking of a new thread, "Lenses and Liquor".
Keep it in focus.
L1025850.jpg

All with the 5cm F2 Bertele, at F2. Forgot to change the Lens Selection after shooting with a 75/1.2.

On my list of lenses to compare with!

The mechanical design and choice of materials of the Bertele is better than the C-Sonnar. The Bertele is all brass, and does not use "non-metal" inner parts that can wear out as in the C-Sonnar. Skyllaney offers a repair service for the C-Sonnar "Zeiss Wobble", had replacement parts fabricated.

It quit raining, flowers are blooming the the neighborhood, and I have a New Sonnar lens.

Close-up and Wide-Open.
L1026781.jpg

L1026783.jpg

L1026785.jpg

L1026786.jpg

This one- focus and recompose.

Far from the Maddening Crowd.
L1026787.jpg

Close-up, Wide-Open.
L1026794.jpg

L1026795.jpg

L1026796.jpg

L1026797.jpg

L1026800.jpg

At this point, there are Five of these lenses in the world. This is the only one outside of Europe. So far, Chris from Skyllaney and I are the only people to post images from the Bertele Sonnar. The story behind this lens is one of dedication and perseverance. It will make it into production. I'll post links to images from the other Bertele Sonnars as they become available. I am loving this one.

Last edited:
Life has been good out here on the far western edge of the US & A. Monday the lens fairy dropped off a primo CZJ 5cm f/1.5 272nnn .Today the lens fairy dropped off a Bertele. My luck is getting so good I am going to buy a batch of one hundred lottery tickets and win on all of them. ;o)

OK. I have only done test shots with the CZJ so far. The Bertele got put through its paces and then with the same lack of restraint as a sailor on shore leave I shot one off my back porch. This is the lens not having its coding read by the M9, EC -1/3, auto ISO, auto exposure, f/8.0 The camera chose ISO 160, shutter speed 1/1000. The focus is on the mast of the blue-hulled ship in the distance. I like how it handles color. Oh, UV/IR filter, also.

The lens is pure quality. It is smooth. The aperture and focus rings have just the right amount of drag on them: easily turned, hold their place.

Skyllaney was delightful to deal with. They are really fine people besides being good engineers. I will be trying out both lenses over the weekend. The excitement of getting both lenses made for sleepless nights whose periods of sleep were rife with nightmares. The payoff is these two wonderful Sonnars. Thanks to all involved.

Oh, yes, the trite back porch pic:

L1002944.JPG

FWIW to the tech-savvy crowd, the lens has the six digit Leica lens ID coding of black and white dabs on the back of the lens where it attaches to the camera. I checked the coding (black-white-white-white-white-black, 100001 for nerds) and it is the coding for the Leica Summicron-M, versions IV and V. I tested it unread and read. It works read. No surprise there.

I ran a comparison test of my Soviet, Skyllaney and German Sonnars this afternoon. This is not a great test but it will give you an idea of the differences. Sonnar Lens Tests

Ooops, they were in reverse order. Curses, Red Baron! I have sorted them into the proper order. Apologies. I should have checked rather than assume they were right.

Last edited:
Back