Nature Slot Canyons

DM Larson

Hall of Famer
Name
Dan
I spent a few years photographing slot canyons. Unfortunately I haven't done much lately, but I'll show some of my favorite shots on this thread.

First up is the Dry Fork Narrows of Coyote Gulch, Utah.

P9040023_v1-X3.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

P9040014_v1-X3.jpg

DSCF1726_v1-X3.jpg

These images are superb Dan.

In the UK we have the Strid at Bolton Abbey which was always deemed to be a dangerous stretch of water. However a recent video shows just how dangerous it really is. It appears that parts of it could be up to 65 meters deep
I can only assume that these canyons in Utah would have looked like the Strid a "while" ago and that at some point in the "future" the Strid will resemble its American cousin.
P1280885a.jpg

These really are amazing series of photos.
I've seen similar but many are blown out and harsh.
You've really done justice to them.

I imagine our Carnarvon gorges would fit that description. Long time since I was there but they're different to these in that there's vegetation deep down in them.

Thanks for sharing

These really are amazing series of photos.
I've seen similar but many are blown out and harsh.
You've really done justice to them.

I imagine our Carnarvon gorges would fit that description. Long time since I was there but they're different to these in that there's vegetation deep down in them.

Thanks for sharing
Thank you RIchard. I have also seen many photos from slot canyon, usually Antelope Canyon, that are grossly over processed or else blown out. Having mirrorless was key to my getting good photos. I would expose for the highlights and recover as much detail from shadow as I could in post without making the image look plastic. I also paid attention to when was a good time to be in a canyon. Usually it was midmorning or late afternoon. I wanted there to be light filtering into the canyon and bouncing off the walls to give good glow, but not direct light as that would be blown highlights.

I've seen some images of slot canyons in Australia, and if I ever get there I hope to see one.

Zebra Canyon, Utah. There can be water in slot canyons that can stay for weeks after a rain. I had a monopod with me that day and used it to feel the water in front of me. I am tall, at 6'3", but when the water got to my chin I turned around. I had to be very careful holding my camera above my head as I waded through this. The footing was pretty uneven with lots of unseen rocks. I had one moment of panic when one of my feet got wedged between rocks, but I got it out after a little struggle.

DSCF1791_v1-X3.jpg

P9050111_v1-X3.jpg

P9050116_v1-X3.jpg

Leprechaun Canyon started off wide, but narrowed down to a spot I couldn't squeeze through. Some foolhardy explorers have gotten stuck in such situations and had to wait days for rescue.

P3250168-X3.jpg

P3250143-X3.jpg

P3250164-X3.jpg

Last edited:
I've posted pictures already in the National Park thread of the Subway in Zion National Park, but this is one I hadn't posted before. It was an eventful hike. I tore my right rotator cuff on the last repel and still had a 4.5 mile hike out to my car with a miserable 6 hour ride home. I was with friends so at least I didn't have to drive. The rotator cuff eventually healed, but that was the last time I repelled.

PA250122-2-X3.jpg

Last edited:
Back