Feedback Slow image loading?

theoldsmithy

Hall of Famer
Name
Martin Connolly
In the last week or so, images have been taking longer and longer to load. Quite often my browser gives up and just shows a blank rectangle where the image should go. I don't know if this is just because I mostly look at the site on a tablet running Android 8, but all the browsers I've tried are affected. I'll look on my MacBook Pro later today, but had anyone else noticed this problem?

High traffic internationally? More malicious traffic towards Amazon (a U.S. heavyweight) or the U.K. (leading the front against RU in Europe) or the U.S.? Some obscure bottle neck? Hard to tell.

Honestly, maybe emptying the cache helps? I have mixed experiences with cloud access - sometimes, pages fail to display completely or correctly; usually, hard reload (Ctrl/Com+R) helps. Slow loading is rare, but can happen.

However, if it happens across the board, there may be more to it. @Kevin may want to look into it ...

M.

High traffic internationally? More malicious traffic towards Amazon (a U.S. heavyweight) or the U.K. (leading the front against RU in Europe) or the U.S.? Some obscure bottle neck? Hard to tell.

Honestly, maybe emptying the cache helps? I have mixed experiences with cloud access - sometimes, pages fail to display completely or correctly; usually, hard reload (Ctrl/Com+R) helps. Slow loading is rare, but can happen.

However, if it happens across the board, there may be more to it. @Kevin may want to look into it ...

M.
I quite agree with you, Matt, international traffic (and hackers) are quite busy at the moment.
But, as you write, cache is often a cause, too.
I put mine to 1 GB in Firefox, but after visiting several cam pages plus youtube and searches I go to the Firefox prefs in between to delete the cache ... and quite often it's close to 1 GB. And when it's completely full it causes strange behaviours including crash of Firefox. So I check it regularly.

The images are served from Amazon's AWS so if anything is going on with a regions local AWS servers than image load times could be affected. Unfortunately right now most of the 'big' tech companies are facing attacks from a variety of sources.

If the page itself is slow to load then that would mean something is up between the PC and our USA server where the site actually lives.

If the page itself responds as expected but images are loading slower than usual than it's likely AWS, if the page takes longer to load than it's likely our host.

At least from my NE USA connection everything is loading as normal. I will try to poke around the AWS site to see if I can spot anything.

I suspect the problem lies with my Huawei tablet. It's been perfectly quick enough since I bought it but image loading in several apps seems slow of late. My phone is ok on this site and my MacBook even faster. I'll have to have a poke around....

I suspect the problem lies with my Huawei tablet. It's been perfectly quick enough since I bought it but image loading in several apps seems slow of late. My phone is ok on this site and my MacBook even faster. I'll have to have a poke around....
Clear your cache! Google (Android) is notorious for using up precious memory for things you will never look at again!

Back