Fuji Showcase SLR Magic 23mm f/1.7 Hyperprime

Markdphotoguy

Rookie
Name
Mark Dalpe
Got my SLR Magic 23mm f/1.7 this week.
Pros:
-built very solid (almost Leica M level of build quality)
-smooth turning focusing and aperture rings
-short but precise focusing throw from infinity to 4ft allows for quick MF at regular distances with enough dampening in the ring for good precision. From 4ft to closest focus the focus throw is longer allowing greater precision where it counts more.
-12 bladed diaphragm remains perfectly round at all f-stops also gives the nicest Bokeh I've seen at this focal length.
-optically not very contrasty or tack sharp at f/1.7 or f/2.8 but the lens is more than acceptable at these f-stops when sharpened up a bit, in fact I'm finding with sharpening (S50, R1.2, D7) in LR the lens is as good wide open as my X100S's 23mm @f/2. Even without sharpening the lens has a character to it that reminds me of my Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 shot wide open but with less highlight blooming than the Nikkor. At smaller f-stops like f/4-f/11 the lens is quite contrasty and sharp.
-excellent close focusing distance and can be used with a raynox close up filter for around 1:3 life size.
-very low lateral and longitudinal CA
-resistant to lens flare (I've still ordered a hood anyway as it did flare with and without filter on the front but it was hard to provoke)
-no hotspots for IR photography
-compact size, the lens fits well with the size of my X-pro 1 and is unobtrusive.
-cost of the lens is only $400 including shipping.

Cons
-the aperture ring has no click stops as such can be nudged accidentally. I'm already in the habit of checking my aperture ring before bringing the camera to my eye so this doesn't bother me too much. I am however considering glueing some silicone*“dots” on the aperture ring at f/2.8, f/5.6 and f/8 so I can feel for those stops and select them with the camera at my eye.
-optically almost certainly the new Fuji 23mm will almost certainly be better wrt sharpness (but the SLR magic may still win here in the character department)
Here are some photos all of which were taken @ f1.7 and sharpened and processed in LR5 beta
8719911364_8e3c035ccb_b.jpg

8719910260_4993269d72_b.jpg

8719908590_d94e360bc3_b.jpg

8718787679_d22e797a91_b.jpg

Here is a Flickr set with these images and more that I'll be updating over time.

Here is a Flickr set of full sized testing shots. That have been imported from RAW into LR5, then converted to jpg with only default adjustments of LR5. When viewing a particular image you can click on*“actions” then select*“view all sizes” and then you'll be able to click on the full resolution view.

Here is a shot of my camera with the 23mm attached. The hood is a metal 49mm screw on type for a pentax takumar 35mm. There isn't any vignetting when attached and it helps to cut down the flare I get when shooting IR.
8945720344_d9661d9a01_b.jpg

Back