Small sensor challenge

I still take her for a walk in between
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Yep. I guess I've gotten away from small sensors since I originally created this thread. I liked the X30 a lot, and its form factor had a lot to recommend it, but I get better imagery with the X-T2 or X100S these days.

I agree. I hated to let my X30 go but I have other cameras - even other compacts - that can do so much more. A pity Fuji never bothered bringing out a camera with a one-inch sensor. Meanwhile, I'm set for full-frame, APS-C and micro four-thirds. It's more than enough.

Since I am not a professional, nor do I print anymore, I am quite happy with any small sensor. I tend to prefer larger but small also equals lightweight for me (unless, of course, I buy that P950 in which case its definitely NOT light). Posting on facebook or in flickr, or here... I have no need of anything “better” than my current crop. I dont have any MFT except the LX100, and I dont have anything full frame (even though I lust after it)... doing OK with what I have.

FZ1000 at full stretch (146/400mm) and at a guess, 70m from the subject. Its fine, for what I do :)
77E6FCCF-713C-4DFE-BFBF-30A2B0C8A3FA.jpeg

I bought a used X20 a few years ago. It’s such a fun camera to use. Maybe we need to do a small sensor “Singles in . . .” Challenge. It’s hard to grab it when it’s next to the XE3 and then you let the battery go dead.

That's exactly it. A one-inch sensored camera might do the trick. But if you, like me, have an X-E3 at the ready, the old 2/3-inch sensor tends to get left behind. But I do still have an old X10 in the closet. So if we ever do such a challenge...

How different are they in size?
The X10/20/30 were never the smallest, but once you add an equivalent lens to the X-E3, is it going to be pretty large?

But then again, if the X10/20/30 aren't really pocketable and you need a bag to carry anyway - might as well take the bigger camera?

Just rambling and thinking loud here... :)

I did a "Single in" (January, most probably) with the Nikon 1 V1 and would pick it again without hesitation; I also wouldn't have any reservations about using the FZ1000 - in fact, way too easy, not a challenge at all. *Smaller* than 1", now, *that* would be a real challenge, especially if we coupled it with mandatory night shooting :p

I still have a Canon IXUS 132 (I think the series was called ELPH in the U.S.) - 1/2.3" sensor, 16MP CCD(!), hence confetti galore at ISO 400 (my Google Pixel (I) has a *much* better sensor). Oh, and of course, no RAW, just JPEGs; what you see is unfortunately exactly what you get. Not too shabby in good light, and super-small for a camera that offers a 28-224mm-e zoom - but a dinky flash, a small, coarse screen ... That wouldn't be a challenge, it'd be a chore.

M.

How different are they in size?
The X10/20/30 were never the smallest, but once you add an equivalent lens to the X-E3, is it going to be pretty large?

But then again, if the X10/20/30 aren't really pocketable and you need a bag to carry anyway - might as well take the bigger camera?

Just rambling and thinking loud here... :)
Here ya go . . .

Sue (@kyteflyer) made me do it. 2007 Nikon P50 (1/2.5"); pretty nice at base ISO. I got a couple at higher ISOs, nothing to show, though. The camera seem extremely reluctant to go above ISO 500, and I can see why ... (also spotted some really strange ISO values ...). I think Fujifilm made some very nice small sensors back in the day. At least the Nikon P50 can't compete, and the much newer Canon IXUS 132 can't, either.

DSCN0847.jpg

(Shadow crunched by forum compression ... I'll try again with an image resized on my computer tomorrow; time for bed ...)

M.

Back