Small Sensor Symposium

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Name
Steve
I”ve been enjoying our photo challenges this year because they have been a source of recreation during a, shall we say, “slow period”. I’d like to follow up the Lo-Fi challenge with a similar challenge, this one involving small sensor cameras, defined by me as having a sensor 1 inch or smaller. Since we usually have an April challenge as well, I thought to make this one a “March Symposium” open to a variety of contributions. In particular, you can

1. Take and post pictures taken with a small sensor camera as often as you like;
2. Post older small sensor pictures you have taken over the years as often as you like;
3. Post your thoughts on small sensor cameras and the images they produce, especially if there is such as thing as a consistent “small” sensor look.
4. Look at the pictures/posts and respond as you like.

So, basically, it’s a discussion with benefits which accommodates as much or as little as you wish to contribute. I hope this is timely since many of us dug up our older “serious compacts” and got them running for the Lo-Fi challenge. Your thoughts?

Last edited:
Should be fun. I have an X30, but I use that all the time. I think I'll drag out my old Nikon L5.
I now know why you like your X30 so much. It's all the things I liked about the X20 with the parts I didn't like fixed. The EVF is surprisingly good, which is huge upgrade from that lousy optical finder.

Last edited:
My new (new to me, that is, but actually relatively pristine and unused) Q7 should be arriving in the mail on Monday, just in time for this. It took me awhile to find it (from a fellow Pentaxian who hadn't used it for some time). The thing which tempted me to buy it wasn't this discussion - but rather, having read - and enjoyed - the multiple posts by john m flores, both here on Cameraderie (but also on PentaxForums) about the multiple uses he has put several Q's to, over the years, often on some outrageous cross-country motorcycle tours. I also have a good friend, locally, who had one of the original Q's and let me play around with it, and didn't help my long-simmering attack of Q gas.

Incidentally, both my local friend and some other Qholics have spoken highly about the superior construction and feel of the original Q, with its supposedly metal alloy body, versus the more plasticky slightly-larger sensored Q7 that most Qaddicts seem to prefer. I was on the fence initially until my friend gave me the sad news that his original Q had finally given up the ghost. But I think it's really the luck of the draw: some Q's seem to live forever... whereas others (and more of the earlier-generation Q's) have been afflicted by a handful of problems (including the notorious needing-to-reset-time-and-date after every battery change.

They sure are Qute though.

I'll be very happy to see the back of the super-cheap Rollei CompactLine 50 I used for the "lo-fi" challenge - but I have also dug out the old Nikon P50, and while I'll switch to the Nikon 1 V1 at some point (probably pretty soon), I'll start the Small Sensor Symposium with this dinosaur. It has a 1/2.5" sensor with 8MP and shoots JPEGs only.

I just hope I can resist the tide of Q worship that's rising here. Honestly, I'm just lucky none's for sale anywhere close :p

M.

Back