Documentary Small-town Vibes

R0007236.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

In larger cities, when neighbors decorate their front lawns, they tend to keep the decorations very 'specific' to the Holiday in question: ghosts, zombies and spooky stuff come out at Halloween, while Santa and the reindeer make their appearance as Christmas nears. But in smaller towns, there's more of an "anything goes" spirit, and it's socially acceptable to "mix and match" - as this ghoulish apprentice Elf-in-Training demonstrates.

XT3_Dec23_22_Zombie_Xmas_elf#2.jpg

In larger cities, when neighbors decorate their front lawns, they tend to keep the decorations very 'specific' to the Holiday in question: ghosts, zombies and spooky stuff come out at Halloween, while Santa and the reindeer make their appearance as Christmas nears. But in smaller towns, there's more of an "anything goes" spirit, and it's socially acceptable to "mix and match" - as this ghoulish apprentice Elf-in-Training demonstrates.

View attachment 354450
Someone just down the road from me put up one of those 9 foot skeletons in their front yard before Halloween. It is still there, and now sporting a Santa hat. I guess by March it will be dressed as a leprechaun.

Old broken-down cars and trucks seem to be a feature of most towns and cities, not just small towns. But the fact remains that the ones one glimpses by the side of the road in small towns... always seem to have 'character'.

EM5_Dec25_22_rusted_truck.jpg

This was taken in the no-man's-land between two small towns in Southern Oregon.

My town of Billericay is located some 25 miles east of the centre of London. It is believed to have been occupied in some form or the other since the Bronze Age. It is what is called a "Commuter Town"with quick links to London (when working). It is also famous as the home town depicted in the hit comedy TV series "Gavin and Stacy" All the good folk in the "New Country" should be grateful to my town. It is believed the Pilgrim Fathers billeted here for the night before their sailing to the new lands. The building still stands and is home to an Indian Restaurant. How else could we we spice up the history?

The Mayflower ship set sail once the Pilgrim Fathers had all boarded and set to meet the Speedwell in the English Channel; the Speedwell. Unfortunately the Speedwell developed leaks and the ships headed for the Devon coast to repair her, but this proved impossible; the Mayflower eventually sailed from Plymouth without her. 4 citizens of my town were aboard

The four people from Billericay : Christopher Martin, his wife Mary Prowe, along with Solomon Prowe - her son from her first marriage - and John Langemore - the Martins' servant. All four pilgrims perished after their arrival at Cape Cod Mass. Christopher Martin died of fever in Jan 1621. His wife dies in Plymouth in 1621. Both Christopher and Mary are buried in the Cole Hill Burial Ground Plymouth. The fate of the would-be pioneers did not deter other inhabitants of Billericay from setting sail for the New World. The town of Billerica Mass' was established in 1655 by colonists from Billericay and named after their hometown in England.

Still thriving after all these years. A reasonable small 3 bed terraced house could set you back £1/2m in the right area. Large homes with acreage? £2m? £3m? and more! More restaurants, bars and Turkish Barbers than you could shake a stick at. High value cars up and down the high street, Friday and Saturday nights busy with partying youngsters and not so youngsters trying to be so.

We can be in the centre of London in 1/2 hour or countryside in 5 minutes....or at the seaside in 3/4hr
11158401855_e4a38dd216_c.jpg
24890648185_71647419c0_b.jpg
30839039552_364f0d8c1c_c.jpg
33853006680_c4813d0ff5_c.jpg
49859742372_598b216131_w.jpg
50923051811_f812ee9962_c.jpg

I am glad I live here

The other thing a lot of small towns have, and it's usually on the outskirts of town, is a genuine and often old-fashioned truck stop. And often, the truck stop itself will abut either a field or a large vacant lot, where truckers part or leave either spare 'trailers' - or other truck-related hardware.

This particular empty lot is next to a truck stop on the outskirts of LaPine, Oregon, another small town which gets a lot of truck traffic. And, sure enough, it's got an unused 'trailer' sitting there, waiting for the next trucking assignment, or long haul.

EM5_Mar31_23_truck_trailer(Lapine,OR).jpg

Just about every small town (in North America, at least) has at least one rusted ancient pickup truck sitting somewhere alongside one of the main streets. Unclear whether it's for sale - or abandoned - or just enjoying the fresh air after decades cooped up inside an equally ancient garage.

KS1_April7_23_GMC_pickup#2(Phoenix,OR).jpg

Just about every small town (in North America, at least) has at least one rusted ancient pickup truck sitting somewhere alongside one of the main streets. Unclear whether it's for sale - or abandoned - or just enjoying the fresh air after decades cooped up inside an equally ancient garage.

View attachment 378327
Lovely colorful, gently moody image. I really like the feel of it!

Back