Philosophy Small trips often, or longer ones less so?

mike3996

Legend
Photography can be done many ways and you can allocate a little time or hours on hours.

How do you prefer to take your photography? A short hour daily, or a good 5+ hours once a week?

I am thinking about this idea since I am considering moving out from the center of action. I think I will be missing on timely opportunities being far but on the other hand my photography strolls haven't been very focused now that home is always near. Perhaps for me, a dedicated trip away from home puts me in a better focus.

Photography can be done many ways and you can allocate a little time or hours on hours.

How do you prefer to take your photography? A short hour daily, or a good 5+ hours once a week?

I am thinking about this idea since I am considering moving out from the center of action. I think I will be missing on timely opportunities being far but on the other hand my photography strolls haven't been very focused now that home is always near. Perhaps for me, a dedicated trip away from home puts me in a better focus.
I typically do one or two longer (4+ hours) excursions each week, and some shorter ones nearby. At present though, I'm limited to hobbling to the mailbox and back. :(

I have my camera not far away from where I am staying, sitting, driving. So actually I take a snap what catches my eyes. It does not mean I like it afterwards reviewing on my computer, but it is an exercise using my camera. Since I have only the Nikon z50 and the 16-50mm Kit-lens and also an extension-tube I have to challenge myself every day to get the "What I see" right.

So this means I take every day snaps and when I feel I go for a photo-walk it takes me around 2 hours.

I also carry my camera whenever I go out because I never know when I might stumble on something inspiring.
As for the dedicated photo walks, they are usually about two or three hours long, but without any regularity - depending on job and family obligations.

I shoot daily life around the homestead every day to every other day. I have photo specific excursions which have no set time. Could be a couple of hours, or all day. Then there are portrait shoots which can run all day depending on how intensive the set up for it gets. Or how many people are being photographed.

It's interesting to read how many make time for dedicated photography walks. My camera is always in my bag as Every Day Carry (EDC), but I seldom take photos except during community events, wildflower season, or I leave the district - despite living in a properly rural area, I don't find much of interest to shoot, or that I think others will find interesting. Now I'm a bit worried that I'm not seeing properly!

Since I've made it a custom to pocket the LX100.2 every time I leave the house there are no more "missed motifs". Too often I came across the "best light" or "wow-scenery" and the camera lay at home in the shelf. No more now.

When I make the "photo walks" (daily since I'm posting in Day to Day) I usually have the E-M5 with me and focus on a special lense to force me to be mindful of the special perspective and walk to get the best one instead of zooming. My favourite lenses at the moment: 1.8/75, 2.8/60 macro and for in-camera double exposures the 2.8/12-40 pro because I can deliberately switch focus length and take manual focus for the overlay of a sharp and an unsharp shot. These walks take in between one and two hours. Sometimes I like also taking my old lenses from the OM-4 just for reminding myself that Oly made superb glass already decades ago. (The proof of the pudding is in the eating).

Then there are the long photo sessions during vacation. When you stay at a place you've never been before you see so many things and are so open to everything around you that often the whole day becomes a continuous gathering of impressions.

Back