So... advanced cameras in the hands of "happy snappers" creating problems?

One of the things that makes some enthusiasts dislike this situation -- inexperienced shooters with big budgets and no appetite to learn -- is that some of those people manage to take some really good shots without having any damned idea how they did it. There's a sense of "you should have to earn it" that I catch a whiff of, from time to time.

Just pointing that out...

Some folks have a good eye, i.e., a natural sense of composition. With AE and AF they can do well pretty quickly. DoF techniques have to be learned, but I think we tend to overestimate how critical those are to good basic photography, especially since high quality small sensors have compromised this.

To some extent a modern camera even has DoF covered. With automatic scene recognition, the camera knows it's shooting sporting action, a portrait or a landscape and will set itself accordingly.

I suppose the next logical step will be for the camera to sprout little legs and to clamber around on chairs and tables until it finds a good vantage point for a great composition. There's another idea for Mr Flores ;)

-R

One of the things that makes some enthusiasts dislike this situation -- inexperienced shooters with big budgets and no appetite to learn -- is that some of those people manage to take some really good shots without having any damned idea how they did it. There's a sense of "you should have to earn it" that I catch a whiff of, from time to time.

I certainly saw that in ham radio, particularly after the no-code license came out. "If I had to learn code, then you should darn-well have to learn code . . ." and so on.

Some folks, I think, simply get in over their heads. My wife and I were walking on Peebles Island when we met a man and wife. He had a DLSR with a x-300mm zoom lens on it, and he was getting some interesting shots. He was a retired doctor, plenty nice, plenty bright. He also didn't know squat about his camera. He was using the "moving objects setting because the wildlife he was trying to shoot was moving," and that was the extent of his knowledge.

Henri Cartier-Bresson, if I recall correctly, was only interested in shooting. He did not develop or print his own stuff. Does that make him less than a "real' photographer?

Frankly, I am interested in stunning images and whether they were taken with view camera or an instamatic or hanging from the left landing gear of a Stutz biplane is immaterial.

I think, perhaps, that one thing that could be done for newbies is to steer them gently toward useful resources. Perhaps there could be a sticky for "Digital photography 101" on this forum.

Even though I took photography and cinematography in college (shortly after the Civil War), I have found this course to be useful: The Great Courses

Cheers, Jock

Just pointing that out...

This is exactly it. There has been a bit of DPreview culture seeping into Serious Compacts.

I can also offer a counter example to my own point up there... the guy at work who wanted a "real" camera and likes my shots, got an XA-1. He went to paris for work a week later. It was cloudy and grey, and he came back deflated that the camera hadn't "taken great pictures." He showed me his shots. They weren't composed at all, in most cases. Just "there's a building over there" pictures. The detail was great, the exposure was perfect, colors were better than one could expect in those conditions. But he didn't get "magic."

sigh

I certainly saw that in ham radio, particularly after the no-code license came out. "If I had to learn code, then you should darn-well have to learn code . . ." and so on.

And the same in web design in the early days. What? You use an HTML Editor?? *I* wrote my websites manually, in notepad. Thats the ONLY way you can learn. Pffft.

Ok, I'm going to "out" myself, a good 90% of my photographs is "happy snapping". I shoot what I see and move on ... usually trying to catch up with my hubby whose got longer legs than me! I do most of my photography when I am with him or others (who don't have cameras) so I don't have the leisure of twiddling the dials or trying to remember where the heck the settings are in the menus before I take my shots. I'd get moaned at and what would be the fun in that.

Do you look at my work and think heck she would take much better pictures if she took it off P? I very much doubt you've gave it any thought. I don't think about it when I look at your pictures. I just look and think, yeah I like it, or no I don't.

Sometimes it's good to throw away the rule books. Make it your new year resolution!

Briar,

if I was caught and tortured by the Art Police, I would have confessed that I strongly believed you roam the dark alleys alone, vigilant for the perfect shot, harvesting the compositions unseen by others, always shooting only in M mode and never, I repeat, never, in Jpeg :)

And you know what - knowing now how you actually do it makes me respect your work even more, cause those are tougher conditions to get a good image.

Back