Fuji So freaking cool...

Yes I think so. Though I have my ISO set to Auto. DR to 100. As recommended by other RAW shooters I have the film set to the flattest tone curve, Provia, then set highlights and shadows to soft. This will get you a more meaningful histogram in terms of it more accurately representing a RAW file. Of course all histograms represent the JPEG output but if we can get it looking more like a RAW histogram it is more helpful.

When it comes to shooting JPEGs (I do occasionally!) with this camera I prefer Astia, it's a great balance between the rather flat tone curve of Provia and the contrasty Velvia which can have blocky shadows. Getting a bit off topic I also like to set my minimum shutter speed to 1/125 when out and about with my two year old daughter. I have my RAW button set to call up three custom film emulations, 1 is Astia 2 is Velvia and I call 3 my RAW setting. 3 is set to the flattest curve, Provia, with shadows and highlights set to soft.

This is another excellent read by flysurfer. It goes in depth in regard to the DR function on X cameras. I'm trying to get my head around it! How to Expand Dynamic Range - Fuji Rumors

X100 JPEG shooters are in good company though. Unfortunately I'm not as good as Patrick LaRoque to nail all my shots in camera. He does PP his JPEGs though and I think he did later go RAW. REGENERATION P2 | AND A REVISIT OF RAW VS JPEG

Back