Fuji So goes 2016

tonyturley

Legend
Name
Tony
I have never been a fan of New Year's Resolutions. Today's treadmill is next week's clothes hanger. That being said, I got lazy this year. I started eating sloppily, exercised less (other than my weekend hikes), and discovered last week I put on 7 pounds. I wasn't surprised, because I've noticed a loss of stamina when I go hiking or biking.

Despite the upcoming festivities, I immediately set about making a plan for myself. I wrote a series of 12 monthly goals, 3.5 pounds per month, designed to lose a minimum of 40 pounds by 12/23/16. I've gone back to doing a brisk 30 minute daily walk. Cut way back on caffeine and replaced it with plain water. Cut out french fries (chips to our overseas friends), ice cream, candy, cookies, pies, you name it. I actually made it through the entire Christmas weekend without overeating.

I've also set another target for myself. I've long practiced the habit of buying used gear at significant discounts. I may have flipped a lot of gear, but I never paid anywhere near full price. Both of my cameras are several years old, bought used. They both work great, but I'm socking away a little at a time toward a new camera. I could go out and plunk down my credit card today, but part of this whole thing is focusing on increased discipline in all areas. I've set a bar for myself to buy no more camera gear until I've lost the 40 pounds, and even then only after I've saved enough. As of today, I've lost 5 pounds. I've already exceed my January goal. Wish me well.

TT

Congratulations on your plans and already seeing results! You are to be commended. I cut way back on carbs about two years ago and lost 10# - from 162 to 152. I've felt better and slept better since.

Tony, I absolutely applaud you. I did something similar this time last year (aided by SiJ) supported by an NLP practitioner. My target was 2lbs a week and I met and exceeded it. Today I am two and a half stone lighter than this time last year. I did two main things - up every morning for a brisk 2 mile walk, broken in the middle by a 15 minute sit down with a double espresso (the rest-and-resume bit helps the weight loss). I also changed my diet. I replaced pasta with courgettes (spiralised) - even stir fried in a knob of butter it's better for you - and rice with cauliflower and broccoli "couscous", blitzed in a blender and again stir fried. I now prefer it to rice. I also discovered the joys of finely chopped and stir-fried brussels sprouts. You can do a "sunday roast" stir fry - strips of beef, or a chicken breast, chopped sprouts, carrot ribbons, onion, an oxo cube, some sage, thyme, rosemary - healthy heaven.

The NLP chap was great at helping me to set goals and track changes. He used a goal-setting acronym - SAME - which stood for:
  • Specific
  • Achievable
  • Measurable
  • Ecology
That last was the key for me. He explained that you simply would not do exercise if it didn't fit into your personal lifestyle, or "ecology". I am NOT a gym bunny. I am to cycling what attila the hun was to basketweaving and swimming bores me to tears. I could do those things but it wouldn't last. Walking works for me, particularly first thing in the morning. 2 miles takes an hour, including the espresso stop. I take my camera and snap stuff on the way. When I get back I immediately take the dog out for another 20 mins ( if he came with me in the first place we would be walking at his preferred pace, not mine).

I'm about to start this regime again, as soon as Christmas and New Year are out of the way and I have use of the spare bedroom again, to dress without waking my wife. ;)

Good luck with your regimen - it really does help.

I could never do that. One word... Bacon. Not the stuff they have in the US, or in much of mainland Europe. Proper, crispy, unsmoked back or streaky, sizzling in a hot pan...
Yeah, I like bacon, too. Sugar-cured and smoked is my favorite, right out of the same sizzling hot skillet. Unfortunately, it is loaded with calories. Bummer.

Screenshot_2014-07-30-22-02-17_20140730220353545.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

:)

My identity seems to have been hijacked here.I have been a vegetarian all of my adult life(50 years) and can't imagine eating any other way.I have also been spinyman on this site since 2013.

My identity seems to have been hijacked here.I have been a vegetarian all of my adult life(50 years) and can't imagine eating any other way.I have also been spinyman on this site since 2013.

Please see my response to you in the other thread. I deleted those posts in this thread as well as the replies to them. Again, sorry!

Time for an update. Started at 245, goal for JAN 23 was 242, and for MAR 23 was 235. I'm already at 233 and falling. I did have one week where I wasn't as careful and gained 1/2 pound, but I'm back on track. Now trying to get under 225 by MAR 23. That would be 1/2 of my entire year's goal in 3 months. Woo Hoo!

Tony, WELL DONE!! Seriously I applaud you - that's tremendous. From personal experience don't sweat it if you have a blowout - the secret is it doesn't actually matter in the bigger picture and you mustn't give up. Keep going - you are a grand example to us all! :yahoo:

Back