Micro 4/3 So, I Did a Thing...

Phocal

Rookie
Name
God
As most of you know, I have been guiding Northern Light photography tours for the last few months. I learned a bit ago that the local camera store would have a KEH event next month. I was happy to hear this because KEH doesn't do free shipping from Alaska for selling items. I have been saving my tip money for a new camera and have a nice chunk of change set aside, even after buying the 7-14mm ƒ2.8 and Voigtlander 17.5mm last month.

So...

I looked at all my gear and determined I could dump it all to KEH and have enough to buy a full-frame camera, aurora lens, wildlife lens, and something in between the two to start with. I would have to stick with one of the full-frame cameras in the 24mp range, not enough cash for the big boys (yet). So it came down to the Nikon Z6ii and Canon R6ii (Sony was never in the running due to their shit weather sealing), with the winner being the Canon. The Canon is just superior at action photography compared to the Nikon. Ok, camera determined; now to lenses. That is where the problems started. Canon doesn't have the best selection of mirrorless lenses, and the Nikon Z 500mm ƒ4.5 is such a great lens.

At the start of this, I was sure it would be a Nikon. But the performance of the Z6 isn't up to my needs for action photography. I was disappointed when I looked at Canon's lens selection. I am sure they will round out the lenses, but at the moment, there is nothing I really want from them for wildlife. I was also surprised to find out that the only Nikon to have pro-capture is the Z9 and that it is only for jpg. Pro capture on the Canon is really limited compared to OM.

Here I sat with a huge conundrum. Canon has the bodies that tick most of my requirements, and Nikon has the lenses I want.

This sent me down a rabbit hole on the OM1.

I watched this video and was pretty damn impressed with the AF abilities of the OM1.

I followed up with this video and was impressed with what he was doing with the camera. He also brings up some things for me to consider when it comes to wearing gloves in the cold compared to the EM1X. Like him, I feel like the EM1X is the best laid-out camera I have ever used.

This video was the final nail in the coffin. I really like this guy's work, and the squirrel photo was what really sealed the deal for me.

I would like to mention that I am glad to see OM bringing in some young blood as Visionaries, compared to all the old guys that Olympus seemed to have. It is also great to see that these new Visionaries are more in line with what and how I shoot compared to all the portrait and street photographers that Olympus had. I honestly feel like OM is targeting people who will realize the system's strength and not try to appeal to everyone. I know that ruffles some feathers with a lot of people here.

My local camera store doesn't have an OM1 in stock. So I just ordered a camera and spare battery from B&H, and paid for the fastest shipping they have. My new OM1 will be here Tuesday by 10:30. Hopefully, I will get a chance to test it out on some aurora this week. The weather is not looking good for this week.

Back when the sale to OM was announced, I had just received my EM1X and was still in the return window for the camera. I did a hard search for another system to move to and really found nothing that could touch all the capabilities of Olympus. The only downside was the auto-focus system, even though I find the EM1X to be more than sufficient. But the OM1 takes autofocus to the next level and is almost on par with the best out there. I am really surprised that even now, there is nothing that really compares to the overall ability of the OM1. The owner of the tour company and one of the guides have the Z9. I have to admit, the images from that camera are pretty damn impressive. But overall, the OM1 has better specs for what I want in a camera.

There really is nothing out there system-wise that ticks as many of my boxes as OM does.

my two copper pieces,

Phocal

I got the OM 1 in my hands shortly before Christmas and am still working with a LOT of the offerings of the camera but so far it's a winner. I just acquired my husband's neglected M1X (traded for my old EM 1 II) and am now learning it. I love the battery life of the OM 1, love the all one body, two batteries available of the M1X. Baseball season is upon us, I'll see which one does the best. JUST watched a video on focusing for the Olympus line and am going to have to watch it again to stop it and rewatch as they went very fast to cover everything in their allotted time. You'll love the Om 1's menu. Easy to find stuff!

. . .

There really is nothing out there system-wise that ticks as many of my boxes as OM does.

my two copper pieces,

Phocal
Of course, Ronnie ... ;) .

That's also how I feel about my E-M1 MkII. And I reckon that the 8-25 and 12-100 are two of the best lenses ever made by anybody, for my usage.

And a warm :Welcome: to this friendly forum, mate.

Welcome back. Whatever you shoot with I'm sure the images will be great. Have to admit I really prefer Nikon's lens selection. Also, the Canon version of every lens I'd be looking for is $100-$400 more than the Nikon, that adds up.

Maybe the Z8 will be priced to make sense to look again. I do look at other systems more often than I really should, but so far I always come back to Olympus/OMS. They just have the features I want.

I didn't realize you were in Anchorage. It's been almost two decades since I went up that way, as a teen. I definitely think of going back to mainland Alaska, my wife would like to see it as well. And, I have to see aurora borealis someday.

I feel almost a little envious of the sort of people Olympus (and now OM) markets to. The weather sealed compact adventure photography thing looks really fun! I suppose all I really need to do to bring that level of challenge to my cameras is to take one hiking in the rainy Pacific Northwest... Incidentally I keep moving further north, I've noticed. Really hoping for some good landscape photography options on the Olympic Peninsula this year.

I got the OM 1 in my hands shortly before Christmas and am still working with a LOT of the offerings of the camera but so far it's a winner. I just acquired my husband's neglected M1X (traded for my old EM 1 II) and am now learning it. I love the battery life of the OM 1, love the all one body, two batteries available of the M1X. Baseball season is upon us, I'll see which one does the best. JUST watched a video on focusing for the Olympus line and am going to have to watch it again to stop it and rewatch as they went very fast to cover everything in their allotted time. You'll love the Om 1's menu. Easy to find stuff!

I am hoping for an OM1X. They have until Canon/Nikon solves my issues with either system.

Welcome back. Whatever you shoot with I'm sure the images will be great. Have to admit I really prefer Nikon's lens selection. Also, the Canon version of every lens I'd be looking for is $100-$400 more than the Nikon, that adds up.

Maybe the Z8 will be priced to make sense to look again. I do look at other systems more often than I really should, but so far I always come back to Olympus/OMS. They just have the features I want.

Honestly, if they don't come out with an OM1X I will probably switch systems in 2ish years (that is about how long I think until Canon/Nikon have done enough to entice me over).

I didn't realize you were in Anchorage. It's been almost two decades since I went up that way, as a teen. I definitely think of going back to mainland Alaska, my wife would like to see it as well. And, I have to see aurora borealis someday.

I feel almost a little envious of the sort of people Olympus (and now OM) markets to. The weather sealed compact adventure photography thing looks really fun! I suppose all I really need to do to bring that level of challenge to my cameras is to take one hiking in the rainy Pacific Northwest... Incidentally I keep moving further north, I've noticed. Really hoping for some good landscape photography options on the Olympic Peninsula this year.

There have been a couple of great aurora nights where you could see them down your way. I know recently I saw photos of them from Arizona and Colorado.

Shit. Now we have to put up with all of your amazing shots on this forum! And with shiny new gear to boot!

This place is going to fall apart. ;)

Good to see you are still out shooting, though I'm not quite sure Auroras are as dangerous to shoot as alligator pupils.

No, but hopefully I will be photographing bear pupils soon :dance3:

Well, it has arrived...

With dead batteries, I am impatiently waiting for them to charge so I can look for Gorgeous.

IMG_7006.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Initial thoughts...
  • It doesn't feel nearly as well made as my EM1X
  • Dials are much harder to reach/turn than on my EM1X (going to make it even more difficult with even my really thin gloves on)
  • Not nearly as ergonomically laid out as the EM1X
  • Too small (my complaint with all Olympus cameras except the EM1X)
    • I don't have large hands, but my little finger hangs off the bottom of the camera; I wish it were just slightly taller
    • Buttons are too closely placed together (another issue when wearing even thin gloves)
  • Buttons are a bit too much recessed. Once again, this will make it difficult to operate with gloves on
  • I have never had any problems with the old menu system, and I don't find the new one any easier or harder
  • Not a fan of the new way the level is displayed (hopefully, there is a way to change that)
    • Having it in the middle of the screen is stupid
  • Really hate that I had to buy a battery charger
    • At least it came with another battery and can charge two at once
    • Also, it is USB C. This will make charging in the field from my battery banks more efficient
  • Going to miss the field sensors from my EM1X seriously

my two copper pieces,

Phocal

The EM1X is an economic masterpiece IMHO. Before I had one, I thought it was going to be too big. I sold it when I got my OM-1 but I too would buy an OM1X in a heartbeat. I bought the grip for the OM-1 but it just is not the same. I agree basically with all of your points. They ship the batteries without a charge now to help prevent fires most likely. Enjoy, the OM-1 is pretty impressive in its own right.

I keep thinking of pulling the trigger on an OM-5. The EM5iii is cheaper, especially the used ones, but the OM-5 is advertising an impressive level of WR.
I suspect that there is little to no difference. Just quantified now.

Olympus weather/dust sealing is apocryphal.

There are many stories of people briefly submerging their sealed Olympus bodies and attached lens with no ill effects ...

I would not recommend doing this on purpose!

Back