Fuji So I played with an X-Pro1

Well I had a quick play with the Fuji today. It fit nicely in my hand and was a good weight although I felt that it was a teensy bit plasticy. The focus with the 35mm was faster than I had imagined, the 18mm wouldn't work on the camera and the 60 was very very slow inside the shop. It seemed very much like the X100 as far as the rear screen and buttons. Shutter was very quiet and I was quite impressed with it although I still think it's rather pricy. The assistant was keen to show me the NEX 7 as they didn't have the Olympus yet, her dad has the NEX apparently and is very pleased with it. I did venture to pick it up and I really liked it's speedy focus and the evf, also the size in my hand is really good. Annoying as I'd already placed this at the bottom of my wish list. DPR has given the OMD a fine write up and now I'm no further forward!!!!

I'm in a similar situation, though I think the OMD is in third place for me. I'm in no rush.

If the XP1 was priced at $1350, I think it would make it much easier to tolerate the quirks that existed at the launch time. And also make it easier to pick the XP1 over the NEX7 and OMD. Granted that price wise, the XP1 plus a lens is the same as NEX7 plus Zeiss 24. But pricing the body at $1700 just raises the expectations to perfection. I'll very likely pick up the XP1 again, but I'm holding out for now just because I want to give the OMD a shot. And part of my mindset is that if I really like the OMD, I'll have saved myself a big chunk of change.

I like your thinking Armando! I was thinking that it would be cheaper to try the OMD and then sell it on if I don't like it , all be it at a loss. In the UK you can't return a camera just because you don't like it!

The cameras in the US are priced with return accruals (which are based on historical data) factored in by the market. Those buying and trying without having a real intention of owning a camera distort the market in two ways. First they cause supply shortages upon introductions of new products as they are ususally the ones on multiple pre-order lists of dealers and secondly they cause prices to be higher than what they needed to be. I wished the market would introduce restocking fees starting at least at 10% and higher depending on the length of the "trial period" to countersteer abuse.

Xp1

Overall cost is same but lenses hold their value, bodies do not (maybe Leica is an exception). So the cheaper the body is the less loss. XP1 is overpriced esp if you consider how much they are selling the X100 which comes with a lens. Also it depends on their product cycle. Sony/Oly created as many bodies as their lenses, so waiting for a while for used market saves some money. In Fuji's case, the warranty issues on existing cameras (x10/x100) make it harder to go for a used camera.

If the XP1 was priced at $1350, I think it would make it much easier to tolerate the quirks that existed at the launch time. And also make it easier to pick the XP1 over the NEX7 and OMD. Granted that price wise, the XP1 plus a lens is the same as NEX7 plus Zeiss 24. But pricing the body at $1700 just raises the expectations to perfection. I'll very likely pick up the XP1 again, but I'm holding out for now just because I want to give the OMD a shot. And part of my mindset is that if I really like the OMD, I'll have saved myself a big chunk of change.

I like your thinking Armando! I was thinking that it would be cheaper to try the OMD and then sell it on if I don't like it , all be it at a loss. In the UK you can't return a camera just because you don't like it!

Christilou, I would not be too quick to eliminate the NEX 7. It is a fine camera. Did you look at my comparison between the NEX7 and the XPro on this site? The list of each of their strengths might help. others have said that people who like the X100 will like the XPro, but the opposite might also apply. If you did not like the X100 you might not like the XPro. Also, you can easily use those Pentax lenses on the NEX 7, something I am enjoying, though I do like and use both the NEX7 and the XPro, but the Pentax lenses are used only on the NEX because of its peaking feature.

A reasonable approach. I have yet to play with an OMD, so am not sure how I will feel about the camera itself. I have no doubt its a great camera, but possibly not for me. I am not wild about the shape and look, (important but not critical), I would love to have an optical VF, as I prefer to shoot with the camera to my eye. The Fuji VF is very, very nice. Finally, additional IQ is important to me, especially as I like to print. I agree the Fuji is pricey, but I can see why: a unique sensor and likely lower volume on the camera overall and especially on the sensor. I also keep my cameras a while; 2.5 to 3 years at least. So on that basis the additional cost to me spread over that time is not significant.

Price is also relative to past experience. With the Fuji and Nex in particular I am getting very close to the IQ I desire in packages that are smaller and way less expensive than my past FF life.

I'm down to owning only 2 cameras at the moment :crying: Never owned so few! I've got the K5 and the Leica X1 although they may also be for the chop! Whenever I look at NEX colours I find them to have a bit of a green/muddy cast which puts me off. Soooooo undecided!

What green muddy cast? These are all taken with the NEX 7.

MattiesFr.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC00022.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

TwoChicks1.jpg

A reasonable approach. I have yet to play with an OMD, so am not sure how I will feel about the camera itself. I have no doubt its a great camera, but possibly not for me. I am not wild about the shape and look, (important but not critical), I would love to have an optical VF, as I prefer to shoot with the camera to my eye. The Fuji VF is very, very nice. Finally, additional IQ is important to me, especially as I like to print. I agree the Fuji is pricey, but I can see why: a unique sensor and likely lower volume on the camera overall and especially on the sensor. I also keep my cameras a while; 2.5 to 3 years at least. So on that basis the additional cost to me spread over that time is not significant.

Price is also relative to past experience. With the Fuji and Nex in particular I am getting very close to the IQ I desire in packages that are smaller and way less expensive than my past FF life.

Who knows! I may end up not even getting the OMD at all, and head straight back to the XP1. As good as m4/3 has become fom an IQ standpoint, I'd always felt that my X100 produced more "pop" for me than the GH2. I get the feling that's how I'll ultimately feel about the OMD vs XP1. Or not!

I'm down to owning only 2 cameras at the moment :crying: Never owned so few! I've got the K5 and the Leica X1 although they may also be for the chop! Whenever I look at NEX colours I find them to have a bit of a green/muddy cast which puts me off. Soooooo undecided!

Did the K-01 get chopped? :eek:

It does seem like Compact System Cameras drive people towards owning more than one system. I am not saying you couldn't have one camera or system, but right now you are going to have some significant trade offs.

I figured we would have a high performance mirrorless from Canon in September, which would consolidate the market a bit, but sounds like their first CSC will be based on the G1X sensor (their recent comments on a new CSC which would "approach" DSLR IQ). Nothing wrong with that sensor size, but from Canon it feels like they are more concerned about protecting their DSLR sales, than pushing the envelope.

I like small companies and choice, but I can't imagine settling on only one system right now.

Kyle, sold the K-01 today. I found that I couldn't get the focus I wanted for macro and I do a lot of those in the Summer particularly. I have tried peaking which works well for most things but found I still got a lot of blurry pics using this method for macro. K5 has better macro capability I think. I may sell that too though as I've become more used to the smaller form factor and it seems like a tank now. I think you're right, I lean towards having two systems (and only two :rolleyes:)!

It does seem like Compact System Cameras drive people towards owning more than one system. I am not saying you couldn't have one camera or system, but right now you are going to have some significant trade offs.

I figured we would have a high performance mirrorless from Canon in September, which would consolidate the market a bit, but sounds like their first CSC will be based on the G1X sensor (their recent comments on a new CSC which would "approach" DSLR IQ). Nothing wrong with that sensor size, but from Canon it feels like they are more concerned about protecting their DSLR sales, than pushing the envelope.

I like small companies and choice, but I can't imagine settling on only one system right now.

You could be right. I had a FF kit plus my M43 for a while, but then just shifted to M43 - not because I did not like the DSLR, but because I felt having one system would keep it simple, and help me work at specific skills.

I've been holding out for the perfect balance, because I would love to go down to one system for the long term. Maybe it's not possible. It's why I have been intrigued by the Nex 7 and X-Pro1. The Nex has been out a while longer, and there have been a couple of well-known photographers who have completed work or prolonged trips with just this camera. The performance is good enough, though much depends on what it is you shoot etc.

Who knows! I may end up not even getting the OMD at all, and head straight back to the XP1. As good as m4/3 has become fom an IQ standpoint, I'd always felt that my X100 produced more "pop" for me than the GH2. I get the feling that's how I'll ultimately feel about the OMD vs XP1. Or not!

Armanius, it just is hard to beat the larger quality sensors on the XPro and the NEX, as good as the m4/3s are!

Back