Fuji So tell me your experience with the 56/1.2XF

It’s fast enough for event work. Even faster on the newer bodies, X-T2/3, X-Pro2, X-T20, E-E3.

Exactly. No, it's not "pretty darn fast," as the 35 f1.4 I'm comparing it to is not a fast AF lens. But it's fast enough. It clears the hurdle of "annoyingly slow?" nicely, but it doesn't vault into "surprisingly quick" territory.

nearly competent? exceedingly average? a smidge better than acceptable?

I think there should be charts that show speed to lock focus computed from an average number of shots, and it should be calculated for each lens in a system on each body in the system. Otherwise, it is very hard to describe speed of AF....especially when people have different thresholds of acceptability.

Okay, okay... it'll be here Friday. Thanks everyone, this was a big help. I expect a very sharp portrait lens with great background blur that's a bit slower to focus. No surprises, I like that.

Did you see that B&H added the 35/1.4 to the list with a $50 gift card? That just about covers an extra battery...hmmm...

I never thought the 35/1.4 focused too slowly, and I used it with the X-T1. I did think the 56 focuses slower (never had one because I'm not a portrait shooter). I'm glad it doesn't.

I've had both (35 1.4 & 56) and an XT1 for years. 35 is a little slower, and it chitters (I think of it as R2D2 talking to a photographer-style Luke Skywalker) as the front element racks in and out. Neither is bothersomely slow.

Well, THAT'S a beast...
It got here a day early. BTW, this was shot with my X-E2... look at that ISO! Holds up well for old kit.

DSCF1697b.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Only playing around with it at home tonight, but AF is better than I’d prepared myself for. If you were focusing from eye to eye, or from nose to eye, etc., for example, it is absolutely fast enough, better than I’d expected. The only slowness I see so far is when it needs to rack a bit more. I’d expect that in moving that much glass in a complicated design.

Kinda like the old Nikkor 85 1.8d vs 85 1.4d.
The old screw drivers could spin the lighter glass faster.
My first 1.8 was a non D with dry innards. Sounded like something angry ready to sting. I sure did love that thing.

Nikkor 85/1.8 AF-D - "whirrr, whiirr, whiirr! Ok, got to the focus point!" :rolleyes-74: The first time I got an AFS lens (24-85/3.5-4.5 iirc), I almost got sick in the viewfinder because it just jumped to the focus point with no audio feedback whatsoever. The 85 G version was a wonderful lens, but heavy as heck.

Back