So... what is a compact again?

krugorg

All-Pro
Name
Kyle Krug
Okay, I decided to give the K-01 a go. :eek: I've always kind of liked the idea of the Pentax Limited lenses and have toyed with the idea of picking up a K5 for landscapes (or in other situations where I didn't mind having a larger camera). Then along comes this ugly duckling K-01 and I decided it would be a less expensive option, along with being fairly compact with the 15mm Limited mounted.

So.... can I still post K-01 images here? :D To me, this feels like a compact, but in reality, it is only a bit smaller than a K5 mounted with that same 15mm limited lens. Its also roughly the same size as the X-Pro1 and, again roughly, similar to a GH2/G3 or E-M5 with a PL25 or Oly 12mm mounted.

Not entirely serious with this post, as the community is more important than the classification I think, but I am curious what everyone thinks qualifies as a compact anymore?

I'm awaiting the arrival of a K-01 today. I think it will be a good carry about with the new ultra slim lens and the fact that I already have three Pentax lenses makes it a useful addition (I hope!). I don't think it'll be that much bigger than the smaller bodies by the time they have their larger lenses on. I already post pictures from the k5 from time to time and hopefully the more compact K-01 will be accepted too ::)

I'm awaiting the arrival of a K-01 today. I think it will be a good carry about with the new ultra slim lens and the fact that I already have three Pentax lenses makes it a useful addition (I hope!). I don't think it'll be that much bigger than the smaller bodies by the time they have their larger lenses on. I already post pictures from the k5 from time to time and hopefully the more compact K-01 will be accepted too ::)

Looking forward to your posts. That yellow K-01 looks interesting.

We should start a thread on "not a compact".

Kind of a "You know your camera might not be compact if":

You have to do curls with 10 pound weights in order to lift it to Eye Level...

Look forward to reading your impressions! Which lenses do you have?

I am keep my expectations on AF performance low, but it will be interesting to see how it compares with something like the GXR 50mm.

Kyle, I have the DA35 macro and the FA 43 and 77 Limiteds. I'm looking at the slim 40mm to be my walk around lens and I guess the other lenses could be bought along if the situation demands it. I'm interested in the implementation of the focus peaking and I gather that the AF may have issues with the DA35 in particular but if manual focus is useable then this won't be a problem. My GXR 50mm is on the "to go" list for now. I just can't justify spending £600 on the28mm unit, if the prices were lower then yes, I would carry on but the K-01 with kit lens is only £679 so ........

I have lusted after those lenses a bit in some of the image threads. I probably will end up grabbing something for portraits down the line... that 77 looks like it would be great.

I probably should have ordered kit lens, especially since it was only $150 more here. My thinking was that I wanted something with quick shift focus - it looks like you can enable peaking while in AF and then go to the quick shift for fine adjustments. Sounds cool.

Hi

what's "focus peak"

is it a "lock on" when using manual focus that blocks you pressing the shutter button unless the subject is in focus?

I always felt the original *ist D with the DA 40 pancake was pretty compact, and it was a DSLR. OTOH, the X-10 is small but not really pocketable. I think the best definition of compact is how much weight training do you need to carry it around. :tongue:

Back