Micro 4/3 So what other camera alternatives are there to the OM5?

The X-S10 is a very nice small body. It’s a really nice setup for a PSAM interface and works well. The only real drawback relative to the em5iii/om5 is the lack of any claimed weather sealing, which can be a dealbreaker for some.
How is the IBIS in the Fuji XS10? From what I have seen elsewhere it is very effective for photos, not so much for video, though better than Sony in same range. I’m somewhat in same boat…considering the same three cameras (Xs10, a used A7C and an OM5) with more of a focus on video. Do a lot of outdoor trips, long hikes into mountains and often not great weather. That said, I find my RX100 M7 almost perfect for that (though not weatherproof).

How is the IBIS in the Fuji XS10? From what I have seen elsewhere it is very effective for photos, not so much for video, though better than Sony in same range. I’m somewhat in same boat…considering the same three cameras (Xs10, a used A7C and an OM5) with more of a focus on video. Do a lot of outdoor trips, long hikes into mountains and often not great weather. That said, I find my RX100 M7 almost perfect for that (though not weatherproof).
I never shoot video. It works fine for me for stills.

I don't do video either, but one feature that might interest you that's new (for m43) is that the OM-5 can do vertical video (portrait format). And, of course, OM cameras have IBIS that's super (I assume for video too).

Since I started the initial thread, I though I'd report back with my thoughts after using the a7c for a little.

Handling not great, but doable. The grip feels cramped, and I don’t like the position of the menu button. However, I can usually adjust to most things, not a deal breaker for me. My second-hand camera came with an add-on thumbgrip that attaches to the flash socket. This helps a little with the ergonomics, but does get in the way a little with the dial

Haven't really had a chance to compare RAW files with m4/3 as I'm trying to find an alternative to subscription LR, but the sony JPG definitely seem better than the panasonic gf7 jpgs. They are more crisp and have more detail, probably partially due to 16 vs 24MP difference but could just be different jpg processing. For some reason the JPGs actually look really bad from the gf7 when viewing the display on my new laptop. My old lower res laptop doesn't seem so noticeable.

As expected better higher iso. Around 12800 is where it starts getting a bit ‘iffy’ for me. Once again, I’ll need to have a better look once I sort out a RAW processor to use for the files

Yeah the eye AF and tracking focus is much better than what I’m used to, but I’m several generations behind, using the olympus em1mk1, panasonic gm5/gf7. Happy with this improvement and one of my main catalysts for changing.

The viewfinder is fine for me, coming from the viewfinder of the em1mk1 it’s an upgrade. To be honest I’ve been using the viewfinder less these days and tend to use the back LCD and touch screen to help focus.

On the whole happy with adding the sony a7c into my mix. I’ll probably run the a7c with the 28-60mm for general purpose, 35 1.8 when I need really low light or shallower DOF for the 35 focal length. Might consider getting the 16-35mm pz in future for a wide angle zoom.

I still really enjoy using my smaller m43 bodies with the F1.8 ish prime lenses, and will probably keep them for now. Might add an OM5 in future if they drop in price, or if panasonic comes up with something interesting. Or OM5mk2 comes up with something interesting.

Tossing up whether to sell my olympus 12-40, I have a great copy but 28-60 covers close to that range in a smaller package. Haven’t done a head-head comparison between the two lenses, but my gut feeling is the 12-40 is sharper in the corners.

Back