Micro 4/3 So what other camera alternatives are there to the OM5?

hazwing

Regular
I'm been holding out for the latest version of the em5/OM5, and now that the announcement is official, I'm a bit underwhelmed. It's still a decent camera and it would be a significant upgrade from my current generation m43 cameras, and there's still a fair chance I will end up getting one. However I'm interested to know whether there are any other camera systems out there that will meet my wants.

I'm after
-something EM5 sized, ideally with the option of adding a battery grip for additional support if needed
-a system that offers smallish sized lens. I enjoy using Panasonic 15mm 1.7 & 25mm 1.4 sized lenses . I don't mind prime lenses with a smaller aperture if it means the lens will be smaller, particularly if the sensor is bigger too.
-some improved high ISO performance. Shooting comfortalby with ISO6400 or above with acceptable noise pattern
-decent face tracking autofocus. With my older m43 cameras, there was face detection but it would be SAF and not tracking... I feel I have missed critical focus in the past trying to get photos of my moving child.
-system with lenses that aren't too crazy expense, and have some affordable options.

Whats happening in fuji, sony, canon, nikon land?

Welcome Hazwing! I don't think that Nikon can fit your needs. The ZFc would be close in size, but it's dx and the lens lineup for that format is pretty limited. The fx lenses are awesome, but much bigger than m43 lenses.

Speaking about Fujifilm, there are more or less three cameras which come to mind, which are in roughly the same price range (if not somewhat cheaper) and comparable in terms of size and weight:
The X-T30 II, X-S10 as well as X-E4. They all share the 26 MP X-Trans IV sensor, so both of them are identical in terms of image quality, they also share the same processing engine, the same EVF but they all differ greatly when it comes to their control layout. Fujifilm offers a range of rather compact and light prime lenses with an aperture of f2 and two f2.8 pancake lenses. Most of those compact lenses are weather resistend - ironically though, non of the listed cameras is.

Of all cameras, only the X-S10 features IBIS, the other two have traditional, fixed sensors. The X-S10 is also the only camera with a PASM interface. The camera has a DSLR styled grip and is both larger and heavier than the OM-5, it is also the biggest and heaviest of the three Fujifilm cameras.
The X-E4 is the smallest and lightest one, however it is the camera with the most simplified controls: No rear dial, the least amount of buttons and no AF switch. It has a rangefinder style body, so the EVF sits on the far left side and not in the middle.
The X-T30 II is a more compact variant of the larger X-T models, it has both front and rear dials, an AF switch at the front and fits inbetween the other two cameras in terms of size and weight. Like the X-E4, the X-T30 II doesn't feature a PASM interface and instead relies on a shutterspeed and EV dial, as well as the front and rear dials and aperture ring of the lenses.

I haven't used any of those cameras, from what I've heard the (C)AF capabilities are decent, but not really in the same league as some higher end cameras. X-Trans sensors in my opinion have a more pleasing looking noise pattern, however sooc JPGs shot at ISO 6400 and above might still be too noisy - but that of course depends on the taste of the photographer.

As already stated Fujifilm has a number of compact and light prime lenses, which also won't break your bank and are easily available on the second hand market. Viltrox offers some fast AF primes at very attractive prices, however those lenses are neither compact nor light. Fujifilm also offers fast AF primes (f1.4), but those are rather large, heavy and expensive.

Yep, let me throw my hat into the Fuji bandwagon as well. When I first divested from m43 the first time, went to Fuji and really appreciated it.

Fuji has small f/2 primes that are very fast to focus and sharp wide open. You’ll most likely not miss a lot about m43. Some people miss the live composite if you were into that.

I find Fuji AF better/ more predictable.
Got plenty of reviews on the Fuji gear over at my blog linked below if you are interested.

The X-S10 is a very nice small body. It’s a really nice setup for a PSAM interface and works well. The only real drawback relative to the em5iii/om5 is the lack of any claimed weather sealing, which can be a dealbreaker for some.

Last edited:
I'm been holding out for the latest version of the em5/OM5, and now that the announcement is official, I'm a bit underwhelmed. It's still a decent camera and it would be a significant upgrade from my current generation m43 cameras, and there's still a fair chance I will end up getting one. However I'm interested to know whether there are any other camera systems out there that will meet my wants.

I'm after
-something EM5 sized, ideally with the option of adding a battery grip for additional support if needed
-a system that offers smallish sized lens. I enjoy using Panasonic 15mm 1.7 & 25mm 1.4 sized lenses . I don't mind prime lenses with a smaller aperture if it means the lens will be smaller, particularly if the sensor is bigger too.
-some improved high ISO performance. Shooting comfortalby with ISO6400 or above with acceptable noise pattern
-decent face tracking autofocus. With my older m43 cameras, there was face detection but it would be SAF and not tracking... I feel I have missed critical focus in the past trying to get photos of my moving child.
-system with lenses that aren't too crazy expense, and have some affordable options.

Firstly, a warm :Welcome: to this friendly forum.

The OM-5 is a serious upgrade to the E-M5 MkIII in important ways. See here:

And here:

Some of these are:

Return to full metal jacket (? According to DPR) (hallelujah!!)
More powerful CPU
Better weather/dust sealing IP53

As usual with DPR, they damn the camera with feint praise, while ignoring their own provided information ...

OM -5 seems to be an EM1-3 in a smaller package. That is probably good for those that want a smaller overall package. I had the original EM5 and the Pen-f, but I love the EM1-3 more an would never go back. Most comfortable camera I have ever held. I also shoot Fujifilm, XT-3 and with prime lenses it is about the same size as the EM!-3 but put one of Fuji's red badge lenses on it and that is a whole lot more to carry around. As for weather sealing, I took my XT-3 and 16-55mm lens to the desert in southern Utah for a 10 day camping trip and exposed it to wind, rain dust, vibrations, more wind and lots more dust and sand and I had not one problem with it. No dust on the sensor.

I don't have EM5 any more but her is a photo of the Pen-f and XT-3 side by side with the 12-40mm and 16-55mm lenses.

20210503-IMG_8517.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'm open to non weather sealed lenses an bodies
Also willing to go up in size slightly with the prime lens sizes. The PL 25mm and 15mm are pretty small, but happy it it gets up to around the Oly 75mm size.

I forgot to mention in my initial requests, having IBIS is strongly preferred as well.

I'm still interested in the OM5, probably the thing that might hold me back the most, is how well the face/eye tracking AF is. Apparently it's improved but not on par with the latest AF from other makers.

What are my options in sony FF world, as it seems they are often touted as having great AF?

Sony a7c can be an option, it's worth being considered.
I'm after
-something EM5 sized, ideally with the option of adding a battery grip for additional support if needed a7c size is a bit slimmer, but I am not sure the weight of a7c is lighter, its case is metal-built after all.
-a system that offers smallish sized lens. I enjoy using Panasonic 15mm 1.7 & 25mm 1.4 sized lenses . I don't mind prime lenses with a smaller aperture if it means the lens will be smaller, particularly if the sensor is bigger too. There are tiny prime lenses available (24F2.8G, 40F2.5G, 50F2.5G, PZ10-20F4G). There are some samyang tiny prime lenes too.
-some improved high ISO performance. Shooting comfortalby with ISO6400 or above with acceptable noise pattern the usable ISO range 50-8000. the noice control is pretty decent even the ISO is up to 8000.
-decent face tracking autofocus. With my older m43 cameras, there was face detection but it would be SAF and not tracking... I feel I have missed critical focus in the past trying to get photos of my moving child. Sony a7c has the top-notch tracking autofocus, which is equivalent to Sony a7RIV.
-system with lenses that aren't too crazy expense, and have some affordable options. For the FF system, E-mount lenses is the largest family. There are various inexpensive lenses, provided by Sony, Simga, Tamron, Viltrox, Samyang. However the most of them are not tiny.

I'm open to non weather sealed lenses an bodies
Also willing to go up in size slightly with the prime lens sizes. The PL 25mm and 15mm are pretty small, but happy it it gets up to around the Oly 75mm size.

I forgot to mention in my initial requests, having IBIS is strongly preferred as well.

I'm still interested in the OM5, probably the thing that might hold me back the most, is how well the face/eye tracking AF is. Apparently it's improved but not on par with the latest AF from other makers.

What are my options in sony FF world, as it seems they are often touted as having great AF?
"Nothing" is ever "on par with ... other makers" no matter which brands/models you are comparing.

No other brand compares with e.g. Olympus for IBIS, weather/dust sealing or many lenses. Does that make Olympus "the best"? No. Of course it doesn't.

You need to carefully list all the attributes that are important and significant TO YOU, then work through the cameras, lenses, etc that fulfill those requirements the best.

If you are looking for the perfect camera (whatever that means), you are on a fool's errand.

And don't look at manufacturers claims, either. Carefully read respected review sites, and pay particular attention to actual users who show multiple unprocessed OoC images. Look at those images very carefully.

I will throw in a 100/1 outsider into the mix. Try a Ricoh GR3 x. The 40mm equivalent 2.8 lens is really sharp, the APSC sensor delivers delightful files and so small that it will fit into your pants pocket. If you enjoy shooting that focal length it is lots of fun and very liberating not being weighed down by a larger camera. You do need to carry a couple of extra batteries as they are small and don’t last long, but they are cheap to buy.

Errr
"Nothing" is ever "on par with ... other makers" no matter which brands/models you are comparing.

No other brand compares with e.g. Olympus for IBIS, weather/dust sealing or many lenses. Does that make Olympus "the best"? No. Of course it doesn't.

You need to carefully list all the attributes that are important and significant TO YOU, then work through the cameras, lenses, etc that fulfill those requirements the best.

If you are looking for the perfect camera (whatever that means), you are on a fool's errand.

And don't look at manufacturers claims, either. Carefully read respected review sites, and pay particular attention to actual users who show multiple unprocessed OoC images. Look at those images very carefully.
Errr, yeah I was listing my attributes on what's important to me. But adding and adjusting those attributes as I get questions and feedback.

I not up to date on all camera systems and what's out there, hence seeking some feedback on this site which had users from multiple systems.

I will throw in a 100/1 outsider into the mix. Try a Ricoh GR3 x. The 40mm equivalent 2.8 lens is really sharp, the APSC sensor delivers delightful files and so small that it will fit into your pants pocket. If you enjoy shooting that focal length it is lots of fun and very liberating not being weighed down by a larger camera. You do need to carry a couple of extra batteries as they are small and don’t last long, but they are cheap to buy.
Yeah it's an interesting one, if I'm going fixed lens, I'd be interested in the fuji x100 series... I like the 35mm focal length

Back