Fuji So.. X-T2...

Karl

Regular
So I assume we'll see the X-T2 shipping probably very late this year, maybe in time for Christmas shopping.. so in the meantime..

1) I assume we'll see most if not all of the X-Pro2 improvements in the X-T2. Anything that might not make the cut? Personally I do want the 24MP, the focus spot selection joystick, and the improved IQ/noise/ISO and.. the Arcos look.

2) What else might we get?

and a random thought.. I just realized today that the X-T1 is what the Nikon Df tried to be.

Agree on all the wants... I'd use a little extra MP, I'd use the joystick constantly (I use the 4-ways now for AF point selection), a new film sim never hurts, and I would absolutely like more ISO headroom. Add to that a fixed side door (mine is hopelessly bowed out and always has been), and a rubber grip that won't separate from the body over time, somehow...

Maybe we'll get a higher dpi EVF?

I think we'll get the sensor, thru put speed and 1/8000 shutter etc from the P2, I suspect that's a given...

I wonder also if both SD card slots will be high speed compatible

I'm not sure what we'll see RE the ISO dial, perhaps the P2 one... Or maybe the existing one

I think a lot depends on whether Fuji want 2 flagship cameras, or if the P2 will solely occupy that space... Fundamentally it's probably better for Fuji to produce 2 similar spec'd units (ie with a lot of shared internal components) than to invest significantly into 2 different chipsets

I think the form factors - and specifically the OVF on the P2 - are different enough for Fuji to consider both of them as "range toppers" in a way. It's SLR vs Rangefinder, and they really do attract different crowds.

Also, anyone else notice the X-T1 has enough room for 2 SD cards, and even a little blank blocking piece over what was obviously going to be a second slot at some early point in the design process?

My guess is that the Xt will be more consumer fucussed to differentiate it from tbe Xp.

Fully articulating screen, pop up flash but no joy stick or dual card slots. But New sensor to allow it to compete with top end enthusiast dslr's and the Sony a7II.

A stabilized sensor would be nice, but I think very unlikely.

I feel like they'll continue to aim it at professionals who want an SLR-style form factor. I very much hope it gets the AF joystick, 2 card slots (see my comment above... they ALMOST did it last time), and the 20 megger sensor.

The sensor is a no brainer. The X-E3 and X-T11 will get it also, whenever those pop into existence. I'm in agreement about what KR is saying about the dual card slots and marketing the T2 towards pros who want a SLR style body. I see no reason the T2 won't get the joystick also. And probably the new iso dial. The differentiators between the T2 and Pro 2 will be huge EVF vs OVF, tilt screen vs none, and body style. I'm tempted by the Pro 2, but I prefer the larger EVF. And use the tilt screen often enough I don't want to go without it.

I hope you are right about it continuing to be a 'pro' spec model. I was thinking about sales opportunities - and the keen amateur market is probably much larger than the professional market.

Fuji has the X-E, X-T1*, and X-A* series for the keen amateur market. Fuji has been very smart about building their lineup. And they know that not everyone wants or needs a rangefinder body or OVF. The SLR style and huge, amazing EVF are a big draw for a lot of pros.

Plus the fact that the top end amateur market is virtually indistinguishable from the pro market and if anything is likely to spend more. As Bobby says, Fuji has been very canny in building a system at different price points for different photographer needs and styles.

Personally I am likely to sell my X-T1 once I have the X-Pro2 because I prefer the "rangefinder" ergonomics, haptics and UX to the "SLR"; the only thing that will hold me back is battery life - I have the vertical grip on my X-T1 because when I use it, it is usually for sports, motor racing or air shows where the time taken to change a battery could cost you the shot.

The sensor is a no brainer. The X-E3 and X-T11 will get it also, whenever those pop into existence. I'm in agreement about what KR is saying about the dual card slots and marketing the T2 towards pros who want a SLR style body. I see no reason the T2 won't get the joystick also. And probably the new iso dial. The differentiators between the T2 and Pro 2 will be huge EVF vs OVF, tilt screen vs none, and body style. I'm tempted by the Pro 2, but I prefer the larger EVF. And use the tilt screen often enough I don't want to go without it.

We are in lock step perfect agreement about all of that.

Well, for the T-2, I want the sensor, the joystick, and the dual SD slots.

I DON'T want the newer ISO dial.. I like the top layout just the way it is.. :D

I wonder if Fuji will also bring touchscreen functionality to the X-T2. That would further differentiate the X-T2 as the more 'modern' professional mirrorless camera with the X-Pro 2 as the more 'traditional' option. I think it would be a good decision.

Hope not. Indeed I recall an interview recently where touchscreen as on the X70 was described by a Fuji spokesman (and I paraphrase) as a consumer level "feature"

I know you don't like touchscreens, but many photographers do. I think Fuji would do well to differentiate their pro level offerings with more than just the viewfinder option and body style. There are certainly professional level cameras that feature both articulating rear LCDs and touchscreens, and frankly I don't see much point in a tilting screen unless it is also touch sensitive. The two go hand in hand in my opinion.

I can agree with "I want the sensor, the joystick, and the dual SD slots." I am not crazy about the tilt screen, but I do find it handy on the XT-1 occasionally. As for touchscreen I have owned cameras with touch screen. BELIEVE ME, if it has touch screen I will keep my XT-1 thank you. No matter how many and how great the other enhancements may be and even if the cost was less than $500. The touch screen is a MAJOR turn off for me.

I'm not sure why people who don't like touchscreens tend to be so adamant about them not being included in a camera. If you don't like it, it can be turned off entirely - I've never seen a camera where this wasn't an option. I for one find it far easier, if using a tilting screen for low angle shots, to simply touch where I want to focus rather than having to use a d-pad at an odd angle to move my focus point.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure why people who don't like touchscreens tend to be so adamant about them not being included in a camera. If you don't like it, it can be turned off entirely - I've never seen a camera where this wasn't an option. I find it far easier, if using a tilting screen for low angle shots, to simply touch where I want to focus rather than having to use a d-pad at an odd angle to move my focus point.

It's called fat fingers. The idea of being able to select the focus point by touch does sound good, if I could get the right one picked (within 5 tries). The Touchscreens I've used in the past have been just TOO small to pick anything. The back of a camera just isn't large enough for me to handle the touch screen. In this case I'm one of those center point shooters anyway so don't need it, but I can see it would be nice if you can pick one focus point at a time. I have very strong doubts I'd be able to.

Back