Fuji So.. X-T2...

It's called fat fingers. The idea of being able to select the focus point by touch does sound good, if I could get the right one picked (within 5 tries). The Touchscreens I've used in the past have been just TOO small to pick anything. The back of a camera just isn't large enough for me to handle the touch screen. In this case I'm one of those center point shooters anyway so don't need it, but I can see it would be nice if you can pick one focus point at a time. I have very strong doubts I'd be able to.

Fair point. I'm the same way when it comes to typing on an iPhone. At the same time, I never have had an issue on my GX7 and can change menu-based settings much more quickly than I can on my X100T. I certainly don't think it should be forced upon X-system users, but it would be nice to have as an option in my opinion.

I'm not sure why people who don't like touchscreens tend to be so adamant about them not being included in a camera. If you don't like it, it can be turned off entirely - I've never seen a camera where this wasn't an option. I for one find it far easier, if using a tilting screen for low angle shots, to simply touch where I want to focus rather than having to use a d-pad at an odd angle to move my focus point.

I said this over on Photographers' Lounge so I'm quoting myself here:
"...
Touchscreen - it's a fundamental for me. I am old-school. I grip my camera securely, and capture a photo by straightening my index finger. The first joint sits over the shutter release button and this action gives me the smoothest possible shutter release. It is completely counter to everything I do to take a photo by poking a finger at a point on the image that I am trying to see at that critical moment; what if the second my big, greasy fingertip is on the face of the chap I want to focus upon (not to mention the 30-odd percent of the whole frame that is occluded by the rest of my finger and my hand) he sticks his tongue out, or blinks? I am none the wiser until and unless I chimp - something else I never do. Furthermore I never - and I mean never - change focus point. Again that is completely counter-intuitive for me - I focus and recompose. Always. I have a lot of practice at it and I am good at doing it without altering the plane of focus. Focus and recompose is "camera agnostic" whereas moving the focus point changes from marque to marque and sometimes from camera to camera from the same manufacturer.
..."

I never use a tilty screen either. The only camera I own that has one - my X-T1 - has it taped down. As soon as my X-Pro2 arrives I'm likely to sell it. As to turning something off - it's there. That means not only have I paid for it, but it introduces additional complexity to the product. There are many things in life that I can ignore, not use or turn off but it is far easier, neater, cleaner and more cost-effective if they are not there in the first place. I like Singapore noodles, for example, but I can't stand anything with an exoskeleton. I therefore rarely eat Singapore noodles because they are hard to find without prawns. I could just not eat the prawns but I will have paid for them and they will have influenced the flavour of the dish; I see this as no different.

I'm not being bloody-minded, btw, just explaining why I feel as I do. I am adamant about it, but that's just me ;)

I'm in the no touch screen camp also, agreeing with the points Bill made. And since changing to Fuji I have learned to focus and recompose. With the AF point joystick and more/better AF points on the new body, I will recompose and change focus points depending on the situation.

I'd want touchscreen for faster navigation, not for selecting focus points.

But the tilt screen needs to stay.. for low shots and for overheads, it really helps.. can't see taping it down. I've used it a fair amount for getting shots at gardens and at events where I need to get over some schmuck in from of me, or get shots I'd otherwise have to lay on the ground for.

I said this over on Photographers' Lounge so I'm quoting myself here:
I like Singapore noodles, for example, but I can't stand anything with an exoskeleton. I therefore rarely eat Singapore noodles because they are hard to find without prawns. I could just not eat the prawns but I will have paid for them and they will have influenced the flavour of the dish; I see this as no different.

Not sure if that analogy holds water.

Deciding on a noodle meal will affect maybe half a day of your life. Deciding on a camera however...

Also, I don't quite see how a disabled touch screen influences the flavour of the dish because you won't even notice it's there (unless you go look for it in the menus or some such).

And as far as paying for something you don't use, I don't think that anyone uses every single feature of their camera, and yet you paid for all of them.

While you can decide against the noodles with prawns and go for pizza instead, that decision is considerably less viable when it comes to cameras.

dangit, now I'm hungry...

side related here.. I had the chance recently to play a bit with a coworker's rangefinder.. and I'm more certain that ever that I'd really have to break a lot of habits to change to one. So I'm hoping the that XT-2 is not gimped in any way..

I saw somewhere today where 4K video is rumored to show up on the X-T2. I, for one, would have no use for that. Top on my wish list is in-body image stabilization. Keeping my fingers crossed and saying my prayers.

Since Fuji has publicly declared that the X-mount does not support IBIS, I'm not convinced that praying will be of actual help here. ;)

Thanks for the clarity, Rico. I was not aware of this restriction. That's too bad. I guess, for now, we have the lens IS to rely on for the lenses where it has been implemented.

I ain't buying no more CAM'RA's. So, a moot point for me what any new camera has. Oooooooh, look......a new camera. Think I'll take a shuftie at it :0)

I have the XP2 (XP1 now relegated to backup) and it is my street / landscape / shared portrait camera and that has always been my intention however, the AFC / Zone focussing is so good that I am tempted to use it for events normally reserved for my full frame kit.
If the XT2 surpasses the XP2 AFC wise then I may take a serious look and even consider exchanging my Nikon full frame kit for an XT2 + 100-400.............however that is another story and I need to see what Fuji offers that is different than what the XP2 offers.
Either way these are happy times for Fuji shooters!

Ooooooh Bill I am jealous as I will have to wait quite a while before contemplating that lens and XT2.
I bet it is a stunning performer on the XP2 and I hope you are able to share some of your images with us soon - did you get the 1.4 convertor with it as well?

My 100-400 arrived on Thursday... It's first big outing will be a point-to-point at the end of April. My X-T1 and 23mm went to fund it so it will be used on the X-Pro2.
I tried this earlier on my phone and it failed miserably, so take two. I got to shoot this combo when the Fuji reps were here a month ago showing off all of the new goodies from Fuji. The Pro2/100-400 were really nice together. But I wonder if an afternoon of using it will have you missing the battery grip from the X-T1. Hopefully not.

Ooooooh Bill I am jealous as I will have to wait quite a while before contemplating that lens and XT2.
I bet it is a stunning performer on the XP2 and I hope you are able to share some of your images with us soon - did you get the 1.4 convertor with it as well?
No I didn't, partly for reasons of cost, partly because I intend to use the lens 90% handheld, and partly as my pathetic, lone protest against the design of the 1.4 converter. It is a device I have had in Nikon mount and others and it has always been a useful add-on but for reasons best known to themselves the Fuji version is very limited in the lenses on which it can be used. I'm still sulking about that...

I tried this earlier on my phone and it failed miserably, so take two. I got to shoot this combo when the Fuji reps were here a month ago showing off all of the new goodies from Fuji. The Pro2/100-400 were really nice together. But I wonder if an afternoon of using it will have you missing the battery grip from the X-T1. Hopefully not.
Really good question, and I confess a bit of a worry. I am finding the X-Pro2 very battery-hungry in normal use and miss the extra reservoir of power offered by the grip on the X-T1. However as far as handling is concerned I have already added the handgrip which, although not useful for vertical shooting or extra power, does improve handling substantially. Time - and use - will tell...

I don't feel like beta-testing yet another product these days but might join the party later on; in the meantime I enjoy what I already have - far more than I really need and use. If there's one thing I can't wait to get my hands on, it's a compact 23mm/f2 lens for my X-Pro1 but that's it. And now off on a little walk with whatever camera wants to join me.

You can always practice faster battery changes if need be. Sounds like you have everything else well set.

That's exactly what I'm doing. I'm also thinking of carrying my Ravpower 16000mAh battery pack when I go out to something like cricket or an airshow, so that I can not only carry multiple spares but charge on the go too.

Back