Solar eclipse, 8-21-17

tonyturley

Legend
Name
Tony
It begins. 1308 local time in the US Eastern time zone. X-T1, 50-230mm lens at full reach, and Thousand Oaks Optical solar film. I'm going out shortly to attempt some time lapse photos on a nearby hilltop.

eclipse1.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My wife and daughter came down to work, next to the river, with the inflatable paddleboard. I had the XT1, the 18-55, and the 50-230 with me, and we all got on it and she paddled us out into the middle of the Columbia River, which was blessedly calm today. I shot this through my viewing glasses, and this is SOOC. Came out kinda cool... I heard prior that you "couldn't do it with the glasses and your camera." I say you can, dern it.

36671900766_82af912b6b_b.jpg
KBRX6766
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

My wife and daughter came down to work, next to the river, with the inflatable paddleboard. I had the XT1, the 18-55, and the 50-230 with me, and we all got on it and she paddled us out into the middle of the Columbia River, which was blessedly calm today. I shot this through my viewing glasses, and this is SOOC. Came out kinda cool... I heard prior that you "couldn't do it with the glasses and your camera." I say you can, dern it.

Lovely! Never believe what "they" say!

Great shot, Tony! It is totally overcast here, so looking forward to your photos.

That solar film works really well Tony . . looking forward to more seeing more of your great eclipse adventure!
Thanks guys. I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out.

I'm hoping Tony got more like the first one above, but later into the eclipse!
Mine weren't as dramatic as yours, Kyle, but I used the Intervalometer on both the X-T1 and X30 to get some neat time lapses. First the X-T1. This first pic shows the difference between 1321 local on the right and 1339 local on the left.

eclipse4.JPG

eclipse2a.JPG

eclipse3a.JPG

Very cool Tony . . was that amount of light change quite different from what your eyes saw?
Thanks Bob. I could tell there was a light change, but to my eyes it wasn't nearly as dramatic as what the camera showed. I guess it's the same effect as trying to photograph the full moon on a cloudy night. Our eyes can see all of the detail in the moon and the clouds at the same time, but if you set the camera for a good exposure on the moon, any clouds not crossing the moon will be invisible.

What apertures did you two shoot at?

edit--Nevermind--

...I was going to say "I stopped mine down a little from 6.7 (wide open at the long end) to at least f8, but I checked the exif data on the one above, and no, I shot that one wide open. That only leaves focus as the culprit, since we know your copy of the lens CAN be sharp.

IMG_3256.JPG
Interesting to see the various shots and locations. I used an xe-2 with 55- 200. Fully extended and an N D 8 filter. Always have lots of clouds and wind.

Back