Micro 4/3 Sole tree with GX1+25mm

Iansky

All-Pro
Stopped on the way home tonight and grabbed this image of a Sole tree.

Sole_tree.jpg

Great use of that PL25. It's interesting to see the PL25 being used for more than close up photos. Did you have to stop down the lens a lot for this photo?

Great use of that PL25. It's interesting to see the PL25 being used for more than close up photos. Did you have to stop down the lens a lot for this photo?

There is a tendency to shoot a fast lens like this at big apertures and close focusing distances to get that shallow depth-of-field effect, but the PL25 is brilliantly sharp across the full frame once it is stopped down to f/4 or less. Great lens!

This was shot at 1/1600 @ f4 and 160ISO, I did want separation from the background to emphasize the tree and I was drawn to the lean of the tree away from the main cloud formation.

The lens is great and versatile as well and personally, I like the 50mm equivalent focal length for most of my general work.

Great image, Ian. I usually use a wide angle for something like this, so like Nic said, cool use of that lens. I know that m4/3 is going to get a DoF advantage for something like this, but I am curious what you used for the focus point here. Assume the tree?

If you shoot the 25mm at f/4 and focus to 10m you'll have virtually everything from 5m to infinity in acceptable focus. I think that f/4 or f/5.6 is just about the sharpest that the 25/1.4 gets across the full frame, which makes it a great landscape lens at this setting assuming that the angle-of-view is appropriate.

Back