Fuji Solution for base 200 ISO and 1/4000th maximum shutter:

jacobsen1

Rookie
I picked up a set of Xume magnetic filter rings and put them on a 3 stop ND, but I also picked up a threaded metal lenscap and added it to a ring. What this does is it allows you to very quickly add an ND to any of your fast primes... Click the picks for more info (a written list of all
13095700193_8d9f6d2136_c.jpg

56xf with rings by benjacobsen, on Flickr

here's the difference between stepping up to 67 or down to 58 with the 56mm (the 23 looks basically the same):
13095700113_615be47aa5_c.jpg

Fuji 56mm with Xume rings by benjacobsen, on Flickr

I love the Xume adapters! I have a set of 58mm rings on all my lenses that they'll fit, and 58mm lens caps on filter rings also (Xume is supposed to be coming out with their own lens caps with a built-in ring soon). Such a fantastic idea, and I'm very pleased with not having to screw filters on and off anymore.

Can you confirm the 56mm can be used with a 58mm filter without vingetting? What about the 23mm? If so that'd be a huge bonus for me because I already have 58mm filters and the next size up I have is 77mm so I'd be stuck with some big step-up rings otherwise.

Can you confirm the 56mm can be used with a 58mm filter without vingetting? What about the 23mm? If so that'd be a huge bonus for me because I already have 58mm filters and the next size up I have is 77mm so I'd be stuck with some big step-up rings otherwise.

can't wait for their lenscaps...
yes, the 56mm can be used with the 58mm filter or the 67mm filter. With the 58mm there's no vignette, it just looks not as nice since it steps down. If you go with the 67mm it's not quite as bad as the 77mm in terms of size and it actually looks and acts as a baby hood. That's the size I'm using. But you can use EITHER filter size (67mm or 58mm) on either lens (23mm and 56mm) w/o vignette. The bonus with the smaller xume setup is you can still use your OEM hoods over the top. But like I said it looks not as nice and the rings add just enough lip that's my hood...

Nice idea. Might be too thick for some ultrawides, but then again my fastest lenses aren't ultrawides, lol.

well, with the 10-24mm you can't step it up AND use a xume. I tried 72 -> 77mm step then a 77 xume and lee ring as well as a 72 -> 77mm, 77mm xume, then 77 -> 82 step to a 82mm lee ring. Both vignette. I have a 72mm xume setup coming tomorrow with a 72mm UWA lee ring that hopefully will mean I can use Xumes on all my zooms for landscaping with the Lee kit. The 10-24mm needs 4x6 filters but the system is so much smaller the lee ring on the lens makes it tough to fit in some of the smaller bags I'm using lately...

[...]

But you can use EITHER filter size (67mm or 58mm) on either lens (23mm and 56mm) w/o vignette.

[...]

well, with the 10-24mm you can't step it up AND use a xume.

Awesome on the first part, that is great to hear!

Bummer about the 10-24, I had been planning to use a step-up ring and Xume adapter with my 77mm filters but I guess that's out!

77 filters might work. I'm trying to get my lee panel filters working so there's a lot involved...
72mm lens -> 72mm/77mm stepup ring -> Xume 77mm system -> 77mm lee adapter ring -> lee filter holder with three slots...

granted I can see the vignette with that with just the Lee ring in place, no holder or filters.

edit: just tried my 77mm slim CP via a 72mm -> 77mm B&W step up then the 77mm xume, vignettes... :(

Back