[Solved] Desperately need help with Epson printer.

jyc860923

Top Veteran
Name
贾一川
Solved!

Turns out the Epson L805 is really nothing but a budget product, the solution is a forced installation of R330 driver and let PS do the colour management, and now I can sleep knowing I didn't throw away nearly 300 Dollars. With the R330 driver alone it behaves more reasonably than its own driver but I've been told such is typical behaviour for Epson printers, guess I won't be buying another soon.

I can't believe how much trouble I've been through to find the simplest solution, the printer uses dye ink for black and pigment ink for colours, and maybe that's the reason why it takes five or more minutes dry time for the correct colours to show, now I've reverted back to the L805 driver with its default settings to print on the Epson photo paper, and suddenly there's nothing to complain about.

Hi

Last night the Canon ip3680 died on me reporting print head error, I could replace the print head myself but the old machine isn't worth it anymore, so I got an Epson L805, and that's where my problem begins.

While the Canon ip3680 was never even mid-range for photo printing, I never had severe issues with it, the reds weren't quite red, black was never tint-less black, but they were close enough especially with the right profile.

The Epson, with its 6-colour cartridges, needs quite extensive colour correction. I tried printing from Windows and Android, discovering that its driver isn't working properly with colour corrections, so no matter what I choose, ICM, Colour Controls, it always prints dark pink instead of bright orange.

After reading some web pages I decided for now my best chance is with the driver corrections turned off and use Photoshop instead to manage printer colour corrections, however I'd like a more system-wide solution so I can print accurately from anywhere, and don't need to rely on Photoshop which I might give up at some point due to the subscription. Or are there other programs that print colour-managed?

With the Canon, the driver does come with a tool to manually input the correction values against a colour-matching chart it printed; the Epson doesn't print any reference but allows for manual corrections with a colour wheel, which isn't very helpful. I'm looking for ideas that can let me decide the offsets I need.

Any ideas will be much appreciated.

Last edited:
I use Lightroom rather than Photoshop for printing, but it’s quite similar, I think. I always use ICC profiles to print, tailored for my Pixma Pro100S printer and the grade of paper used, and they take all the guesswork out of the process. There aren’t many other programs that also use ICC profiles, as far as I know. Capture One does, and if you have a Canon camera you can get the Digital Photo Professional and Print Studio packages which can print with ICC profiles. Luminar, sadly, doesn’t although Skylum are apparently working on a brand new print module, so I have hopes that will do the job.

I use Lightroom rather than Photoshop for printing, but it’s quite similar, I think. I always use ICC profiles to print, tailored for my Pixma Pro100S printer and the grade of paper used, and they take all the guesswork out of the process. There aren’t many other programs that also use ICC profiles, as far as I know. Capture One does, and if you have a Canon camera you can get the Digital Photo Professional and Print Studio packages which can print with ICC profiles. Luminar, sadly, doesn’t although Skylum are apparently working on a brand new print module, so I have hopes that will do the job.
Sir thank you for the information. I just tried affinity photo and it does too. I shoot Canon and I'll try the printing software, I hope it supports generic jpg images as well.

I have to say, I never expected such problematic driver from Epson, Canon did so much better.

Back