1. Welcome to Cameraderie.org—a friendly camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Some beginner random thoughts on different film (a bit long)

Discussion in 'Film Photography' started by Cerita, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Cerita

Cerita Veteran

Jul 24, 2017
    Canada
    I recently went on a short trip to Mexico, to a town I have visited a number of times, and this is the first time I took pictures. I never did before because I hate using a phone to take pictures and I had no camera in the past. Anyhow, I took my Minolta Dynax 5 with a 50mm lens and whole lot of different kinds of film. I had a roll each of Vista 200, Portra 160, TMax 100, Ilford FP4, all slow films :)  because this part of Mexico is bright and sunny in spring, and I love slow films.
    I also got a roll of Acros 100 back today which I used with a Canon Sureshot p&s camera and shot this locally.

I decided to scan a few negs today, so some random thoughts; I DO NOT like Acros because it curls like crazy, so I won't be missing it when Fuji axes it. Vista is ok, I am not thrilled with it as it too slightly curls. Portra of course I love (my favourite), so no complaints there. TMax 100 was new to me and it is amazing! It scans beautifully and I love the huge range and interesting contrast, same with the FP4, I will definitely use both in the future. I also noticed my compositions can use some variety :) . This was a great experience, using different film with the one camera, and since I am still learning, this was a good experiment. I also had some troubles using the Minolta, it wasn't the camera's fault, totally user issues. 50mm worked a charm as most of the streets in this colonial city are narrow, lots of tight spaces, rows and rows of building stuck together in solidarity LOL.

Here is a shot from the Vista 200, it's ok:

View attachment 178543

• Like Like x 3